Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 99-29

PaulW

Sorry so late, I've been out of town.

I shot this with an open gun.  There were 3 other open class masters shooting and the 2nd master was only 81% of my score.  It was 3 strings, 1st being 1.6?, 2nd being 1.7?, and 3rd being 1.8?...I just wish I would have looked at my draw times.  This is by far one of my best classifiers and matches.  I was just "ON" that day.  

Flex to answer your questions.

It was our last stage and I knew I was shooting well.  Once I made ready I looked at my first target and was focused on the buzzer.  I know my draws must have been pretty fast, although I don't know exactly.  This was very positive for me because I have switched from the "scoop" draw to the grasp draw and it's paying off for me.

• 5 months later...

I'll be shooting this one Sunday.  I'm wondering where the trick is on this one.  I'm thinking the hardest part is changing gears from point shooting to semi-aimed fire, to focused aimed fire.

What I'm thinking with Limited gun:

The first string is a no-brainer as long as your draw is adequate.  I don't even think I'll see my sights.  I figure well under 2 sec.  Hopefully 1.75 ish... But I have to make sure ALL "A"'s!!

The second string is the one I'm worried about.  It's not too far, yet not close enough for pure indexed point shooting.  I'll have to see the sights for a milli-second on this one.  The blacked-out area really shrinks up the scoring area.  Hopefully, I can negotiate this string in around 2 to 2.25 sec.  I can probably afford to drop a point or two on this one (C-hits).  The total time on the two strings so far needs to be around 4.00 sec.

Now, if everything is going to plan, I have a good 2 seconds left for the last string.  Seeing how these two targets are un-obstructed at 40 feet, I'm confident of at least 2 A's and 2 C's on them.

Total time: around 6.00sec

That gives me one of the two needed 85% scores to get my master card.

It's that 2nd string that I'm focused on mostly.........

Is this grandbagging, or smart preparation?

cm99-29.gif

(Edited by TDean at 9:43 am on Jan. 17, 2002)

• 1 month later...

Shot this one Thursday night indoors and is probably the first classifier I've shot in a while where I haven't dropped a shoot, missed a reload or done something stupid.

Shot 99-29 with a Glock 34, production division.  

Time: 6.39

HF:  7.5117

Because I had been trashing classifiers lately, I just tried to back off and get my hits.  No Ds, but would have liked to have seen a couple of Cs that missed the A zone by a half inch been As.  Can't be shooting many Cs with a minor gun.  Draw times were between 1.04 and 1.1.  Shot right to left on first two positions, and left to right on the last one.  I enjoyed shooting this classifier.  First one in forever where I didn't have to reload on the clock.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot this one yesterday.  My draw was ON yesterday, which helped a lot.  Had two .80's on two consecutive field courses.  (Yes, the targets were open and close)   But I digress...

This one should be the final one needed to bump me to A class Limited.  Shot it with SV .40.

Time     6.22

Points   57

HF        9.1640

87.396% nationally

First string was a 1.89, don't remember the second or third exactly but the third was actually a bit faster than the second.  I went right to left on all three strings.  The points may actually be a couple high for my shooting ability currently, but I'll take 'em.  

I didn't try to push too hard (something I have been doing lately) but I wasn't holding back either.  As far as sights, I guess I will have to quote the Burner and say "I saw what I needed to see".  I know I was target focused on the first string and more sight focused on the third.  Can't really remember on the second though.

Fun classifier.  

(Edited by DBChaffin at 9:14 am on April 15, 2002)

• 1 year later...

I shot this today (well Yesterday, now, technically) for the first time. 2.30 first string, Alpha-Bravo on the left (first shot) Target, @ alpha on the next. Seond and third strings in 3.34 seconds each. Fumbled the draw on the second, couldn't find the front sight, by the time I found it I hammered two fast shots at the brown on the left target, scoring Charlie-Delta, shot two Alpha on the right. Really focused on the third string, shot it Alpha Charlie, Two Alpha. I know I got lucky on the first string --- I was moving at my best practice speed ---- which still leads to disaster about half the time. That Bravo could have easily been a Mike. Rushed the first target on String two after losing the sight, the only run that felt in control was the third one. Production, so I think it will factor out to about 55-56%. I liked this one, even though I don't entirely like how I shot it.

I just shot this today.

56 points in 5.68 seconds - 9.859 hf

This should give me a classifier percentage of 94.022% (by far my best ever)

which should get me bumped into master class.

The funny thing is that I think that i botched the grip in 2 (and maybe 3) of my three draws. I just came to the stage with the attitude of - I don't care how the grip or anthing else goes I'm just going to get that gun out of the holster as fast as possible and get the sights lined up as fast as possible and pull the trigger when they are. It seemed to work. :lol:

What I learned from this is that no matter how much you screw up the grip on the draw - if you are totally aware of the sights and the targets then you are going to be alright.

I just shot this today.

56 points in 5.68 seconds - 9.859 hf

This should give me a classifier percentage of 94.022% (by far my best ever)

which should get me bumped into master class.

Nice run Vince,

I shot this in Open. 58 Points. 7.87 time. What letter does that equate to.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

Shot this one again today, a little over a year (has it been that long?) since I shot it as posted on the first page of this thread. It's funny, but last time I shot it I was in B class, and it bumped me over into A. Now I'm a newly minted M, and although there were some improvements in areas (well, speed), the overall HF was very similar (umm, less points will do that).

Shot it in Limited again.

First string: 1.69 (two tenths quicker than last year)

Second: 1.88

Third: 2.12

Total: 5.69 (.53 faster than last year) with 53 Points (4 less than last year)

HF: 9.314 for about 88.83% nationally. (1.5% higher than last year)

I didn't shoot any D's. Just couldn't get the Alpha's I wanted. Vince's run is a great example of how important points are. He edged me by a mere .01 second, but 3 more points got him an extra 6% nationally. Very nice run by the way Vince!

• 4 months later...

Glock22,

You can easily figure out how your score will come in nationally for yourself...no waiting.

If you look at Bryant Chaffin's post (just above your's), you will see that Bryant had a hit factor of 9.314 that scored 88.83% nationally.

With that data, you can figure out what the 100% high hit factor is nationally.

9.314 divided by 0.8883 = the high hit factor

Once you have the hhf, divide your hit factor by the hhf to get your national percentage. (then multiply by 100)

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Shot this one yesterday. Doing ok for me on the first two strings. Thid string the gun chokes. Doesn't extract the empty but strips the next one out of the magazine. So total time 21.53 seconds for a hit factor on 2.4617. Oh well we'll get em next time.

I hate when the gun chokes on an otherwise good run. I had a good run going on another stage on Sunday and my gun locked open for no apparent reason!

Next month we'll kick butt, Doug!