Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Instructors

talon

If you were going to choose an instructor for shotgun and or rifle is there anything in paticular you would look for ?  For example if I were choosing an instructor for pistol I would  make sure they taught ISO and not Weaver.

I agree it depends on what you want to learn:  general rifle techniques, 3 gun, law enforcement, self-defense, hihgpower, silohuette.

For general rifle techniques, I would go to Gunsite's general rifle course, particularly if it was taught by Steve Slawson.  Slawson also teaches out of Colorado.  He has lots of both competitive and real world (hunting and combat) experience.

For 3 gunning, Jerry Miculek is obviously an AWESOME shooter but I don't know how he teaches so I can't really give an opinion (although I'd leap at a chance to take a class from him)  Mike Voight used to teach but I'm not sure if he still does.  Again, I would leap at the chance to take a class from Voight.

I would not go to Chuck Taylor if you wanted to learn to shoot competitively.  He has been out of the competition loop for some time.

There has been talk of Gunsite putting on a SOF preparation course kind of like they did with cowboy shooting.  They got a big time cowboy shooter (Tequila, I think) to teach.  I've recommended that they put on a 3 day class and hire someone like Voight, Miculek or Cooley to teach it at their facility.  NOW THAT WOULD BE COOL!  call Gunsite and tell them.  Maybe if we get enough people, it will become a reality.  

For Law enforcement, Bennie Cooley's classes are probably the way to go.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Kelly,

Why don't you teach a class. I have seen you shoot and it has to be better than being in court! LOL!

Guy Hawkins

P.S. You guys seriously need to hit Kelly up to teach a shotgun course!

It all depends on what's happening in Court!

It appears that Gunsite will be having a 3 gun course next year in February. Steve Slawson, Mike Hughes, and Steve Hendricks are instructing. They're all good shooters and experienced 3 gunners and more importantly they have TONS of teaching experience. I expect that it will be a very good class at a cool facility. It will be a competition oriented course so you need not fear about being forced to use the Weaver stance etc. I expect that the class will involve a lot of experimentation and comparison of techniques.

ME teach a class! LOL! You'd be better off with one of the big dogs but I'd bet I'd be cheaper!

Depends on what part of the country you are in and how far you are willing to travel, there are several people I would recommend for rifle, Cooley, Voight and Lamb being my tops, not necassarily in that order, no offense meant to all others or the three due to the order. As for shotgun there are a handful of good shooters I believe can teach as well, just depends on where you are in the country. The three above are also very capable with a shotgun, I plan on trying to get Bennie down here to the south to do a rifle class as soon as his schedule allows. My opinion is the smaller the class the more time you get, so I tend to shy away from the larger production training facilities for competition type classes.

3-Gun instruction is where handgun instruction was in the early 1980's. Those who can teach are not always those who win matches, and vice versa. And when you do have someone who can/does do both, there range requirements are soo much harder.

You can teach a real good IPSC or 3-gun handgun class on a 50 yard square range and a few props. If you want to teach shotgun you'd better have a swarm of poppers and plates on that range. And if you want to teach rifle, you need that range and a 200 yard one.

And you have to be careful of what th class is. I was once assisting on an LE AR class, when one of th eother assistants started to show how to assume a tight-sling offhand High Power stance for anything past 50 yards. (He had been a State certified instructor for many years, natch.)

Nothing against Chuck, but as Kelly said, he's been out of the competitive loop for many years. And a lot of the tactical instructors are more focused on getting students past the State Qual course and teaching the mandated Use of Force time block than on how to hit a flash target quickly at 220 yards.

(Oh, for those 40 acres the family could have gotten years ago....)

Let me be so bold as to throw my hat in the ring.

I teach cops for a living, and have been for 16 years. I'm a full time trainer and range master for a large agency in South Florida and I'm still in the thick of things in 3-Gun too.

I'm only recently starting to work with civilians in competitive shooting, my rates are good, but my schedule is tight and time somewhat limited.

I have a good range for three gun instruction and Florida is the place to be in the winter. My web site is just being built, but feel free to contact me if interested.

Todd Salmon

www.combatshootingarts.com

I can only give Todd the highest rating and would HIGHLY recommend a class from him. Just watch your wife/significant other/girlfriend/mother/sister or grandmother around him. :P

Nobody runs a shotgun like Mr. Salmon.........

I vote for and have been coached some by him (Todd)in Florida where we shoot 3-gun each Monday. Pay the price and come to S.W. Florida. I can tell you you will inprove but the good news is Todd can size you and your problems up in less than one mag. My only regret is I can't find much time to shoot with him. Forget the teasing about women & Todd's a good guy but a better guy when he isn't shooting against you. Old John

I can say one more thing about Todd...........he is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet! If his teaching skill is anything on par with his shooting skills, which I have heard they are, he is the man you should seek out to instruct you.

Guy Hawkins

Be carefull!!! Not only will Todd put any womans name on his...carbine. He will also steal your gear. Especially shell holders and mag pouches. Benny darn near had to hold him down at the Nationals to get his holders back... and I still haven't seen mine from the S.E. shotgun championships...... But to get even.... I gave his name to several Russian shooters that I ran into in Italy that wanted shotgun training. That ought to fix him!!! KURT

I will have to say if you are in the AZ area, contact Kelly on any instruction for the rifle or shotgun. I heard that he was on the short list to teach the class at Gunsite........maybe still is.

Kelly, I am drinking Pacifico tonight..............must have been dreaming about Mexico recently!

Anyway, Kelly knows the rifle and shotgun!

If you are on the East Coast, contact Todd..........I saw him shoot the team event at Raton (RM3Gun) and that was

something to behold! While Todd might be carving your wifes names on his stock, I might be in the park drinking with yours, while you train with him!

Alot of shooters would be hard pressed to find better rifle and shotgun shooters than Kelly and Todd.

More mexican beer to drink!

steve