Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Quality Training For Both Shotgun And Rifles......

Hi fellows this is my very first post how is everybody, i live in connecticut and for those that don't live here good for you, the lack of quality training in anything relating to weapons (wheater for self defense or competition) is UNBELIVABLE, and let's not talk about the weather please.

This year i want to do my very first competition ever, at it has to be 3 gun, i've been watching american shooter " I think is the name" with the segment with michael voight and the guy is unreal. Is there anybody that offer both shot and rifles training classes that you guys will recomend specially at this guy level, in the norteast, if not at the national level.

Any info will be greatly appreciated, if anybody has links, webpages, and training reviews anything relating to classes for this kind of competition pls let me know, and thx in adv.

Hey guys, thanks for the props! Tritus, if I can help you out, drop me a line anytime.

I would also suggest getting a class from Max and Travis (Double Trouble or something like that :D ), Saul Kirsch or any of the other major players. The problem is that most are tied up in mil/le training.

Questions that would make suggestions on instructors easier:

What part of the country are you in?

What is your training budget?

Are you willing to travel for training?

What are your shooting goals?

Take care,

Matt

Hi fellows this is my very first post how is everybody, i live in connecticut and for those that don't live here good for you, the lack of quality training in anything relating to weapons (wheater for self defense or competition) is UNBELIVABLE, and let's not talk about the weather please.

This year i want to do my very first competition ever, at it has to be 3 gun, i've been watching american shooter " I think is the name" with the segment with michael voight and the guy is unreal. Is there anybody that offer both shot and rifles training classes that you guys will recomend specially at this guy level, in the norteast, if not at the national level.

Any info will be greatly appreciated, if anybody has links, webpages, and training reviews anything relating to classes for this kind of competition pls let me know, and thx in adv.

Max and Travis are running a course (pistol only) at the Summer Blast in York, PA in July

For rifle and shotgun training, I've taken classes from Mike Voigt and Bennie Cooley and it's incredible how much confindence they instilled in me (and others in the class) prior to the '04 SMM3G (yeah...it's been a while since I've shot a match). Nevertheless, the training is top notch and Bennie in particular can (and will) travel anywhere so long as his teaching and hunting schedule allow. Contact either of these guys for some quality, quality training.

I've shot with Matt Burkett a lot and have taken both group and private lessons. Matt will teach you everything you could ever know and will kick your butt doing it...always with a smile. I highly recommend doing some training with him as well.

I know when I get settled in to North Carolina, I'm going to (try and) get him out east for a 2/3 Gun Class.

Good luck,

Rich

If you can arrange personal training, or attend any class held by Matt Burkett, Michael Voigt, or Bennie Cooley you will be learning about 3gun from the very best out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had many requests for this kind of thing, so I have gotten insurance and am waiting on the incorporation papers to come back from the state. The first class I will be doing in the U.S. will be a rifle/ shotgun class at Air Capitol Gun Club in Augusta Kansas the 3rd weekend in July. I know this isn't in the northeast but maybe you could sneek away! Kurt

Kurt will only teach you how to load shotgun weakhanded really fast, to shoot your rifle really fast and accurately, and how to misspell really fast. I would avoid him at all costs.

Welcome home slayer of Nordic dragons! I hope the rest of the week went realy well! OH and by the way it takes me quite a while to misspell as I don't type any better than I spell :D

I have had many requests for this kind of thing, so I have gotten insurance and am waiting on the incorporation papers to come back from the state. The first class I will be doing in the U.S. will be a rifle/ shotgun class at Air Capitol Gun Club in Augusta Kansas the 3rd weekend in July. I know this isn't in the northeast but maybe you could sneek away! Kurt

Wow, my old stomping grounds, grew up in Wichita. Have fun and give a wave to the keeper of the plains for me, haven't seen him in awhile. Oh, and have a beer in old town for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Good training is hard to come by for sure. I'd recomend that first you get Matt Burkett's DVDs and watch them. Then get Saul Kirsch's books and read them. Brian Enos book is also highly recomended. (You can get Enos and Kirsch books from Burkett also). Shoot a match or two. DON'T buy anything in terms of equipment. Then you will be ready for a class from Matt.

I've trained a lot of people and when I was training, I had Matt up several times. He is not only THE shooter with more 3-gun match wins than anyone else, he KNOWS how to teach. Many of the best shooters just flat can't teach. (How good of a coach has M. Jordan been?) Matt is a very intelligent indivudal, not just a great shooter, who will teach you how to fish, not just feed you one. He will watch you shoot, figure out what you need to work on and then help you understand what and why and make the changes. I have watched Matt train all levels of students and a little bit of homework before you take a class will pay off enormously.

To be sure, I've taken many courses from other "top" trainers and mostly been dismally disappointed. Don't settle for closer or cheaper unless you are just goofing around. Matt IS the best, and he is fair and honest too.

Sweet. Now we need someone to teach MOR/Long Range Rifle shooting. I wonder if Zak Smith or Mike Voigt would teach that too. Hmmmm.....Matt you up for adding that to your courses offered? :ph34r:

The reason is that once I get settled in, I would like to do more tactical rifle matches. It's always pretty easy to find a spotter on the carbine. Kind of tough to find a good long range rifle shooter.

Insert more training!

Rich

P.S. Kurt & Matt are at the top of the list, for instructors coming to North Carolina, when I get settled. Mike and 100% for sure Bennie will be invited too!!!

Edited by uscbigdawg

Sweet. Now we need someone to teach MOR/Long Range Rifle shooting. I wonder if Zak Smith or Mike Voigt would teach that too. Hmmmm.....Matt you up for adding that to your courses offered?

Rich, Zak already does teach...http://coloradomultigun.com/#clinics

Matt's DVDs can be bought from right here on Enos site also. I was errant in not recomending that in my first post.

• 2 weeks later...
This year i want to do my very first competition ever, at it has to be 3 gun, i've been watching american shooter "

You should serriously consider shooting some USPSA style action pistol matches before you tackel 3-gun. Even well seasoned action pistol competetors find their first 3-gun match to be a challange....the logistics of managing weapons, ammo and gear for 3G is a BIG step up from a pistol only match. For most newbies, the challange of a pistol only match is more than enough challange.

Pashaw! The very first "match" I shot was S.O.F. way back in 93. wasn't even a member of USPSA untill 2003. Anyone can 3-gun! yep expect to carry a lot of stuff, just be safe and have fun. By the way you will be bit by the 3-g bug and your life won't be the same afterwards. Good Luck!

As for "many of the best shooter just flat can't teach", don't let Bennie Cooley, Mike Voigt, Jerry Michlec, Rob Lathem, Travis Tomasie, Max Michell, Tod Jerrett, Todd Salomn, Jeff Cramblit, Taran Butler, Chris Perez, Manual Brag, Frank Garcia.........Oh I guess I could go on for quite a while, but I would like to remind people that we don't play basketball, this is shooting and a great number of top shooters can, and do a great job of teaching! KURTM

Well I was going to sing Matt's praises but most all has been said about his teaching and skills. So a BIG +1[/size=7] on the Matt connection.

Instead I will relate my training.

I went for pistol. He TAUGHT me much more. He taught as in I learned was not sjust shown. He shows you the why an how of a technique. He also encourages you to take the basics and experiment to find out what works for you. IE don't do it just because I told you to find you groove.

He also took me in 15 minutes having never shot anything over 200yds with a rifle and had explained the mildot system demonstrated the procedure for long disance shooting and had me hitting a 600yd plate consistently. Then he did the same for my 16 year old daughter that had never shot a rfle.

You may go for rifl, pistol, or shotgun but you will get much more. Compliment him a couple of times and he can't resist demoing his toys. You also get the world of experience of what works and doesn't.

I resisted the training for a long time due to equating "but I could spend all that money on ammo and be that much better". *BUUUUZZZZZ* Wrong answer I know I tried for years.

Matt is money well spent and easily orth ten times the same dollar amount of ammo.

Besides you don't have to look at his ugly mug all day you might get to meet his beautiful wife :D

Steven

This is not formal training but if you're from CT, you might try a long gun match at Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club (Ob-Cats) in New Jersey. The next match is a shotgun match August 26. Announce that you are a newbie and they will probably squad you with some experienced shooters who will be glad to help.