Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Coated Bullets

DKOL

I just picked up a thousand rounds of the precison coated bullets (185 grain) and I'm looking for feedback on how many of you are using them and what you think. I'm primarily interested in the comments I've heard from a few that the coating acts as an abrasive and can wear out your barrel pretty quickly....

I have put about 40,000 rounds of Precision 185's through my gun and it is still as tight and accurate as when I put the first round through it. I really like them. They are just as clean to handle as jacketed or plated and you never have to clean your barrel. They are extremely accurate but they smoke a little more than jacketed or plated bullets do. The only time I notice any smoke is when I'm shooting through a 55 gal drum or something like that. For the cost difference and the only down side being a little more smoke they are well worth it.

Hey DKOL, I haven't used as many as Daniel, but many of my shooter buddies use them in limited, revolver guns and really like them. They are as accurate as any jacketed bullet. Plus Dave is a really nice guy. Mac

I have shot tens of thousands of their bullets through my Limited gun, and my Glock 21 (with an aftermarket barell) and have no problem. Shoot 'em up.

DC

They are just as clean to handle as jacketed or plated and you never have to clean your barrel.

I like 'em too. I got some 200s from David to try out, too...

I have to disagree w/ Daniel here, though, at least as far as my gun goes. If I don't clean the barrel every so often, I seem to lose accuracy with these bullets. I don't seem to have that issue w/ jacketed bullets. It's not like leading, of course. I'm told this is a rare condition with these bullets, so I have to guess that it's probably more due to my barrel than anything else. The exception that proves the rule and all that :D

I've many thousands of the Precisions through 3 different guns. The barrels get something that resembles soot in them, but that's all. No degradation in accuracy in any of the 3.

I think the idea that the moly coating will ruin barrels comes mostly from 2 sources. One is Will Schuemann's (sp?) website where he discusses using moly to ill effect. I believe that dates back to some kits that were available to lap bores using moly as a fine abrasive. Some folks overdid it.

The other comes from a company that was producing moly-coated bullets and sent out a large batch that was contaminated with some mysterious ingredient. These things were steel-termites. A local shooter totally ruined a barrel with about 3,000 of those.

Edited by ima45dv8

I switched from Hornady HAP 180's to Precision 185's a few months ago. Shot a thousand and moved to the Precision 200's. I've shot about 2500 in the 200 weight. No complaints whatsoever, and my wallet is fatter :) I ran the 200's head to head against the HAP 180's at 25 yards from a rest. Groups were identical. I'm very happy with them, and I have no plans to try anything else at this point. The only change I had to make was expanding the bell just a bit. I found I needed a pretty decent bell on the case to avoid scraping the coating. The trick is getting that bell just right -- big enough to avoid scraping, but small enough to ensure I don't overwork the brass.

They are just as clean to handle as jacketed or plated and you never have to clean your barrel.

I like 'em too. I got some 200s from David to try out, too...

I have to disagree w/ Daniel here, though, at least as far as my gun goes. If I don't clean the barrel every so often, I seem to lose accuracy with these bullets. I don't seem to have that issue w/ jacketed bullets. It's not like leading, of course. I'm told this is a rare condition with these bullets, so I have to guess that it's probably more due to my barrel than anything else. The exception that proves the rule and all that :D

Dave, Take a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) and dunk your barrel in it for 5-8 minutes about every 1000 rounds. If you use a clear container that allows you to look down the barrel while it is submerged you can see the stuff pulling away from the bore (It looks pretty cool). If your barrel isn't stainless then spray it with WD-40 as soon as you take it out and dry it. I only have to do this about every 5000 rounds or so with my Schuemann Ultimatch.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

+1 - I've got about 27,000 through my Bar-Sto now and I just picked up 6k more yesterday. Dave is a super nice guy who sells a quality product at a reasonable price. He's also a generous supporter of IPSC matches. You really can't go wrong there.

What's everyone's choice of powder for these bullets?

I've been shooting 185's over titegroup and I do have some leading in my barrel...

I use VV N320 untill what I have runs out and then I'll be switching to Ramshot "Competition". It's really close to N320 in burn rate and pressures and it doesn't cause as much smoke or leading as Titegroup.

I've been shooting 185's over titegroup and I do have some leading in my barrel...

Titegroup here as well. Very efficient & economical.

I have some of the coating left in my barrel as well but have not seen an adverse effect on accuracy. Shoot a couple of jacketed rounds with oil on them every couple of thousand rounds. Dave has told me about using the Vinegar / Peroxide on Stainless barrels only but I've not tried it. Hoppes Bore Gel and a brass brush get it out when I actually decide I want to see a nice clean, shiny bore (every 10,000 rounds or so).

I've shot several thousand Precisions in my 625. They are much cleaner than lead bullets, cause no leading, and produce little smoke. I use Winchester Super Target and N320. I don't use hot burning powders like Titegroup with lead or coated bullets.

Chris

Like most of the others who have posted in this thread, I used the Precision bullets with my second limited gun, Para-Ordnance P-14 in .45 ACP. No problems. No leading. I used them over both Bullseye and Winchester Super Field. Great stuff.

Current limited gun prefers JHP from Montana Gold, but you can't have everything. :)

Liota

Dave, Take a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) and dunk your barrel in it for 5-8 minutes about every 1000 rounds. ... I only have to do this about every 5000 rounds or so with my Schuemann Ultimatch.

So how is that "never clean" :lol:

I think I prefer the old standby of Hoppes + bronze brush for a couple of passes, plus a couple of patches.... Safer for the barrel material if I screw something up... Comes out nice and clean, very easily. I just have to do it to preserve the best accuracy in this gun (I intend to rebarrel it eventually, BTW... it's not what I'd call a highly accurate piece....)

Solo 1000. As for leading, I seem to get the same (very small) amount in the first 1/2-inch of the barrel regardless of the powder I use. So I stick w/ Solo 1000. Fast, clean, and half the price of N320. Not smoky like TG. I've loaded 4 pounds of this powder in .40 S&W since February. Love it. It's fast. Be careful. Here are some reference loads w/ Precision 185's in my STI 5"...

Precision 185, WSP, OAL 1.208, 4.5 gr Solo 1000 -- PF 167

Precision 185, FedSP, OAL 1.208, 4.5 gr Solo 1000 -- PF 168

Precision 185, WSP, OAL 1.208, 4.6 gr Solo 1000 -- PF 169

Precision 185, FedSP, OAL 1.208, 4.6 gr Solo 1000 -- PF 170

So how is that "never clean" :lol:

I just dunk the barrel in a tupperware container when I take my gun apart and then take it out, rinse it off and put it back in the gun. I don't call that "cleaning". When I refer to cleaning I'm referring to removing a bunch of lead or copper that takes a butt-load of work and time. I don't use a bore snake, JB Bore compound, Hoppes or anything else. Nothing gets forced through my bore except bullets. ;)