Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 For Steel

D.Hayden

Guys, I am now running my 22/45 with a custom aluminum magwell. It started life as a 6 1/2 competition slab side barrel. Too heavy!

I had my smith flute the barrel, installed a Cmore, did a trigger job, and now I am ready for the American Handgunner and the Steel Challenge!

Did I mention that it hasnt puked at all this year on CCI minimags......(trying to ward off the evil jam curse that I just invoked.... :ph34r: )

That sounds cool. I would like to see some pics of that. Is the magwell 100% custom or was it moded from some other magwell?

-ld

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the delay. The magwell is a custom piece that my buddy Rick made for his Sportsman Team challenge rimfire. I borrowed it over the winter and had several made.

I hate to repeat my mantra. I just was at the BigDawg steel match and ROed most of the Rimfire pistol side match. I counted no less than 7 Marvel conversion kits along with a Buckmark and some Rugers, including my own. For whatever reason my Ruger along with the Buckmark were the only guns that didnt puke on some of the runs. Every Marvel puked at least one or two times, with good ammo. It was either a feed jam or a fail to extract. I was convinced that it is a ammunition issue due to inconsistent rounds, but even these guns werent 100% with good ammo. These guys are seasoned pros and serious competitiors. I am thinking that the Marvel kits are TOO precision made to deal with the inconsistent ammo that is on the market, and am convinced that is why they recommend CCI stingers and the hotter ammo.

I am gonna set up another 22/45 for open and be done with it..... ;)

DougC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just thought that I would jump on Dougs band wagon for a while. I had a Marvel on an SVI Frame that was sweet when it ran. As mentioned, at the SC it needs to run all the way, and the Marvel never got to shoot a match there, because I could not be confident in it for a match. I have a Ruger MKII, that was a part of a package deal that I had to do to get a revolver many years ago. It was so cheap, that I have always just kept it. Believe it or not, that gun has won me more prizes than any other, and too make matters worse, I normally feed it the cheapest ammo that I can find. It gets cleaned every year at the SC on Wednesday night before the match, and all I do is wipe down the mags so they don't rust. I am seriously considering putting a Tactical Solutions top end on it, just to make it look less neglected. We'll see. :rolleyes:

Mark

Yeah Mark, I hear ya brutha! ;) I once again did a informal poll of shooters at the SC that were using the Marvel kit, and most didnt make it through the match without one or two jams. I did speak to enough shooters though that did make it through and it convinced me to try another one with some of the tips I got, including using the Ciener .22 mags versus the Metalform ace mags. If I get something figured out I will let you know!

DougC

• 3 months later...
A S&W Mod 41 will hold its value for decades = The trigger will out last a ruger.

B) ...But I may not know Nuttin ;)

I just started reading the thread, and had to say something..... My Ruger MK1 has I dont know how many tens of thousands of rounds through it..... The Trigger is Very nice... and STOCK.

Hello at the moment i am using a kimber conversion on my kimber 1911 it seems to work really well when using CCI mini mag ammo and plenty of oil. I have had my eye on a ruger and would like to put a Tactical solution barrel on it. A lot of the people here locally like to shoot rugers. The TS stuff is really nice looking also.

...going back to something DougC said...about three months ago at the local "Steel Match", we had SEVERAL people shooting various .22 CONVERSIONS...a coupla' Marvels, a Kimber, a Ciener on a 1911 and an Advantage Arms on a Glock...I don't recall ANY of 'em going the whole match...only five stages, BTW...without a MALF...MEANWHILE, a co-worker, his daughter and I shot the course using two Ruger MKII's between us...his gun hadn't been out of the safe in a few years, and the ammo looked as old as his daughter...I can recall only ONE M-F between us, using the MKII's...a Failure to Fire with his CRAPPY Remington Bulk-Pack stuff...sign ME up for a MKII...OR a ten-shot 617, IF I can ever get the trigger "Right"...FWIW....mikey357

Edited by mikey357

i cant believe with all these good 22 pistols out there no one has said a word about the sig trailside i love mine would not trade it for the world (ok maybe the world). it comes with a sweet trigger, moves nicely and very smooth with little work ive shot steel challange maches and started alot of folks out shooting it. on a side note i dont think sig makes that gun it is made out side the factory by another group cant remeber who.

*Update*

I dropped off a stock 5in Ruger 22/45 at the smith last week....and picked up my buddy's Marvel with his metalform mags, my tuned metalforms, and some new Ciener mags.

Verdict, my smith stated that in his opinion with the grip angle and how the mags present the round to the chamber he didnt think the Marvel kit could be more than 95-98% Reliable. He is impressed with the kit and likes it for what it is, a precision top end for bullseye shooters and people that want the most accurate kit for their 1911.

In looking at some of the .22s he has and I have, Hi-standards, Rugers, Buckmarks, etc., The rounds present at an more extreme angle to the ramp than the 1911 frame does.

I am not knocking the Marvel kit at all, period! I like them! :) but for my money I am going to set up another Ruger .22 for Open steel.

I will post it when I get it back from the smith.... ;)

DougC

I have only shot steel challenge once with my 1911. I was considering getting the Ruger 22/45 with the 5 1/2" bull barrel. I got on here to check and see what was being used and it looks like this Ruger setup should get me started. THanks

Yes, the Ruger will work well for that! ;)

Midway has the Bomar rear sight for them, along with replacement front sights. I bought a couple extra and use one milled down to .090 for steel, and another one stock Bomar for bullseye and accuracy events.

Find someone to do you a trigger job using a Clark trigger and you will be set!

DougC

Has anyone tried the Tactical Solutions upper on the Ruger 22/45? I saw them

at the 2005 SC and they looked interesting. They have alum uppers / flutted barrels

that make the light and "accurate".

The bummer is that this upper is the serialized portion of the gun and you must remove

the same portion from your existing gun. Here in NY that means another trip to the

permit office to add the new upper to your pistol permit.

Bob

Has anyone tried the Tactical Solutions upper on the Ruger 22/45? I saw them

at the 2005 SC and they looked interesting. They have alum uppers / flutted barrels

that make the light and "accurate".

The bummer is that this upper is the serialized portion of the gun and you must remove

the same portion from your existing gun. Here in NY that means another trip to the

permit office to add the new upper to your pistol permit.

Bob

My 22 setup right now is a Tac Sol 6" fluted upper on a 22/45, very light and transitions quick. I've only shot one match but it was a hoot. I used the Tac Sol front sight and thinned it to .100" and installed a f/o rod in it, very nice for this game....as soon as I find reliable ammo it likes.

Hey Bob! PMD has one on his Buckmark and really likes it. I looked at them and just couldnt pony up the cash.......after fluting my factory barrel I am glad I didnt. I read also on the forum somehere that Kay Miculek uses one for steel. She did report that the accuracy wasnt the best, but it worked fine for the big targets in SC.

If it floats your boat, go for it! They really win in the coolness factor!

DougC

I cannot get my Marvel to run 100%. I tried mags, bullets, smithing, springs and etc.

My High Standard Victor (bullseye gun) never gives me grief. My Walther P22 runs

like a swiss watch. I dont know if it is better to try one of these or go with

a "gulp" Ruger 22/45.

I keep my eyes on the guys runnng Ruger 22s at my pin shoots and they NEVER have

a problem.

I just my have to buy an early Xmax present for myself.

Bob

Believe me Bob, I understand. After fondling most of the tricked out Sti framed Marvels at the SC I was all ramped up to build one when I got home. I did the math and found that I would be able to buy another Ruger and set it up ready to go for the same price as building the complete STI lower sans scope....and there was no guarantee that it would run... :( ...oh and listening to my gunsmith, who is still right when it comes to my hairbrained schemes on building projects.... ;)

Hell, if your Victor works use that without the barrel weight and go to town! I still regret selling my Supermatic.......

DougC

Those good old Hamden High Standard target models are awesome pistols. The are extraordinarily accurate, have great triggers, and with good factory magazines are extremely reliable. You do have to treat 'em nice, but I've never found anything I liked better on plate racks or mini-pins. Back in the day, I won a lot of prize money with my Hamden Victor. Puts me in a good mood just thinking about it! :)

Just when I am ready to give up on my Marvel.......

With all the modifications that I made to my rig (with one last tweak this week) I decided to

try it again. I shot a bunch of targets (like SC), shot some long range steel,

and finally shot a bowling pin match with NO hickups!

I have about 700 rounds thru it with NO malfuntions with multiple mags. I did not

clean the gun but did lubricate it between sessions.

Go and figure. <_<

I plan on continuing this "test" to see when I get a failure.

I cant remember getting this many rounds without a dud - ammo fault -with any gun.

I already called to get a Ruger 22/45 with 8 mags - I dont know if I should cancel it. :wacko:

Bob