Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So, I Can Buy This Dillon 650 From A Friend

baa

I have gotten into competitive action shooting over the past 8ish months. I am also lucky enough to have a wife who also enjoys USPSA/IDPA shooting. We both shoot .45 ACP, which is of course getting a bit expensive when you factor in two shooters x 4-6 matches a month (+ practice.) I have been seriously considering reloading for a while and I have spent hours reading on this and other forums as well as agonizing over Brian's different Dillon FAQs. I have leaned towards a 650 as I am fairly technical person with good machine empathy, but at the same time, we are talking about making controlled explosions here.

Pure luck or fate happened this week. A co-worker told me he used to shoot a lot and happened to have a Dillon 650, fully setup for 9mm, 38/357 and 45 ACP (Quick Change kits and dies for those calibers) as well as literally tons of brass and primers. He told me all this was sitting in boxes gathering dust and would I like to buy the whole setup from him for a very reasonable price.

So, the question is - How realistic is it for me to go from having never reloaded in my life to using a 650? Keep in mind that I am going to bug some of the local shooters for instruction on how to use this thing. I think I should take his offer, but I want to get some opinions on the sanity of this idea....

Here is the full list btw (and the price he is asking is very reasonabl)

XL650 press.

Case feeder large and small pistol plates

Low primer alarm

Powered check

9mm quick change

.38/.357 quick change

.45 ACP quick change

Dillon analog scales

10600, small pistol primers

11400 large pistol primers

Rainier 9mm 115gr. TCJ RN approx 2000

Rainier .38 125gr. TCJ FP approx 250

Rainier .45 ACP 200gr. TCJ semi wad cutter approx 2000

Rainier .38 158gr. TCJ FP approx 150

7 large pistol primers pickup tubes

7 small pistol primers pickup tubes

1.5 small amno cans of mix Brass

¼ “ “ “ “ .380 Brass

1/3 “ “ “ “ 9mm Brass

½ Large amno cans of .38 brass

3 5 gal buckets of mixed Brass

2.5 Large amno cans of 45 Brass

1 Large amno cans of 9mm Brass

0.5 Large amno cans of 9mm Brass Cleaned

1 wooden crate or 9mm Brass Cleaned

35 gal trash can of mixed Brass

Also included is a bullet puller and other odds and ends.. Beyond calipers, powder, and a bench, what else would I need to get started?

Thanks!

:P Well....when I walked into Dillon to buy my reloader they asked me if I even owned a wrench....so if I can reload then anyone can!!! All it requires is attention to detail...and oh yea...a wrench! Well I did have to have someone build a cool bench for me. Go for it, not only is it less expensive but it is very relaxing to just turn my music on, my kids off and reload for an hour or two. Have fun!

Watch out though, a chrono is next!

Sweet! No matter what, if it's a good deal, grab it.

Find someone that can show you the ropes with thier 650.

If you wanted to start smaller (like a 550), you could buy one of those then 'graduate' to the 650, when you feel more comfortable.

And then leave the 550 setup in the small primer mode, for other calibers. It's never a bad thing t have an extra press :)

Well,

Assuming that the "quick change kits" are also with dies, all I could see that you may want is a digital scale (faster than a balance) and a spare parts kit. Oh yeah, you may also want a case tumbler, some media and a media separator. Chrono is a good idea also!

Later,

Chuck

baa,

Keep buying Walmart Winchester White box. Post the name of the seller and we will make sure to get this Dillon contraband off of the free market so nobody else is tempted to load their own.

If you are not biting on that one, get the 650. I screwed around with the SDB for a year before getting a 650. Good learning experience but a waste of a lot of time. With the 650 you can lock down for an hour, kick out a ton of ammo and spend your spare time at the range, not the reloading room.

Brain has a video that give a good intro on reloading on the 650. Get that. And, get some reloading manuals. They aren't just cookbooks...they cover a lot of 'how-to' info as well.

oh...was there a brass vibrator/tumbler in that mix anywhere?

Don't forget safety glasses. Standard issue is two eyes and spares are tough to come by.

Good habit to start with is to record everything you do, even if you think you have a great memory. You will not know what is in that coffee can you set aside three weeks ago to see how they shot next time you had a chance at the range. Then you end up spending a lot more time opertating that new bullet puller. Ask me how I know this~!

Brain has a video that give a good intro on reloading on the 650. Get that. And, get some reloading manuals. They aren't just cookbooks...they cover a lot of 'how-to' info as well.

oh...was there a brass vibrator/tumbler in that mix anywhere?

I ordered Brian's reloading DVD, both the Speer and Lyman manuals, and the 650 VHS (now I have to find a VCR.)

No brass cleaning equipment with this purchase. In the short term, I know a guy who will tumble as much brass as I give him for $5.00 a shot. In the longer term I will purchase the equipment myself. Right now I would rather spend the next wad of cash on electronic scales and calipers.

Check on the "record everything comment." I plan to document everything I do.

I am very excited! Now to get a bench setup....

Edited by baa

• 4 months later...