Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decent Inexpensive Red Dot Optic For Carbine?

AustinMike

Since all we have are pistol bays for 3-gun around here, I've been using a Mech-Tech carbine conversion on my Glock 17 for a rifle. I've got a Pro Diamond scope on there, but I've found that to be overkill and difficult to get quick target acquisition on the close targets here. I'm thinking of switching to a red dot, but don't want to spend a lot of money, since I only get to shoot 3-gun maybe 4 or 5 times a year. Any recommendations for something fairly inexpensive that will work for this purpose? CDNN and Midway always have specials, but I'm not sure what is decent and what is junk.

I've played the pistol caliber carbine 3 gun game for a while. My gun is a 16" AR with most

of the bells and whistles. Sight is an old Tasco PDP5-CMP on a riser block to give me

a pretty much heads up sight picture. Works well. Carbines are not nearly as hard on

optics as a pistol, just about any of the relatively cheap dot sights will work. Mount it

high enough that you don't have to get your head down into the stock, shoot with both eyes open.

Aimpoint or Holosight or JPoint. Just pony up and get a good one.

Yeah, I know the top brands and I'd love to get a good one, but hard to bring myself to spend more on the scope than I did for the rifle! :lol: I was hoping there was maybe a sub $100 red dot that would work for local 3-gun matches where about 35-50 yards would be the longest shot. If not, I'll just tough it out with the Pro Diamond on the close shots.

Mike,

If you want cheap, I have a Tasco red dot that is set up for a 22 weaver rail that you can have for a song. The dot's a bit faint, but it will be cheap.

It will be replaced by a Holo one of these days. Holos have their limitations, but at least the reticle is bright.

E

Holos have their limitations, but at least the reticle is bright

Not for me. I have some Red colorblindness. The Holo must be right on my wavelength. At full flame, it is not usable.

I sometimes shoot the Texas Tactical Carbine match, and always with my 20" barrel + Benny-comp AR. Seems like the gun is longer than some of the bays :P

Anyway, it has a Simmond ProDiamond. I leave it on to give me some practice for when I go to matches which have rifle shots. The close shots take some attention, and the T.T matches have some targets that are pretty much point shooting. Just turn it down to 1.5x and try it both eyes open.

Thinking about a shorter upper for the Austin (er, Henly) matches, but I will likely keep the same sight and lower configuration.

Lee

Go to AR15.com and keep an eye out in the equpment excange part of the forums. You can find some good deals on used Aimpoints and other dots and mounts.

Try the S.P.O.T. Very inexpensive. It holds zero despite a lot of abuse, comes with its own mount, and from what I have read is the exact same red dot as Burris. If you want more, AR15.com has several threads on the scope.

• 1 month later...
FWIW - OKO is not in the same, lowly, tier as BSA.

-ld

Ditto!

When I was at the USPSA nationals in 2004, shooting "open" for the first time, and having trouble finding the dot on my C-More, one of the GMs suggested the OKO because it has a larger window, and a brighter dot than the C-more.

I now have 4 OKO sights and sold all of my C-mores.