Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loyalty To Your Company

I am in a very weird position right now or at least one that I am not accustom to. I have only been practicing law for a couple of months but am constantly getting job offers. I am in hearings about 5 times a week, often against well known attorneys, and have been getting a lot of offers as I am basically leaving the courtroom after doing a good job. Most of the attorneys I am up against have no idea that I am new until they look me up on the state bar. At this point they call me and offer a job since they think I have a lot of potential.

My current company has been really good to me also. They have basically offered me what ever I want to stay and have raised my salary by a considerable amount in 4 months. There is no question that I could make a lot if I stay. My question arises that there are lifestyle factors that I don’t think they would ever agree to. I want more flexibility with hours even though I will maintain my billable hours well above what is required.

What importance do you guys give to loyalty to a company that has been really good to you, and will continue to be, as compared to other things you want out of a job? Or maybe the better question is, how important is it to you to be loyal to a company?

Edited by Jeeper

I am in a very weird position right now or at least one that I am not accustom to. I have only been practicing law for a couple of months but am constantly getting job offers. I am in hearings about 5 times a week, often against well known attorneys, and have been getting a lot of offers as I am basically leaving the courtroom after doing a good job. Most of the attorneys I am up against have no idea that I am new until they look me up on the state bar. At this point they call me and offer a job since they think I have a lot of potential.

My current company has been really good to me also. They have basically offered me what ever I want to stay and have raised my salary by a considerable in 4 months. There is no question that I could make a lot if I stay. My question arises that there are lifestyle factors that I don’t think they would ever agree to. I want more flexibility with hours even though I will maintain my billable hours well above what is required.

What importance do you guys give to loyalty to a company that has been really good to you, and will continue to be, as compared to other things you want out of a job? Or maybe the better question is, how important is it to you to be loyal to a company?

This is an interesting question.

Employees generally have far more loyalty to a company than vice versa.

I would suggest doing what is best for yourself or family. In my world that means making the most money in the shortest period of time without a sacrifice in QOL *Quality of Life.

In my industry there are companies who also pay well and companies that pay better than well with the added incentive of stock options or partial ownership. All things equal, its best to get some type of ownership as that is the best long term way to make money and the company's best way to effectively retain you.

I would suggest staying at your firm for a minimum or 12-18 months to decide what and where you really want to be and what you really want to do or specialize in. After a year, you are fair game, IMO. I wouldn't skip out on a company that took a chance on me after 4 months... but YMMV....

I wouldn't skip out on a company that took a chance on me after 4 months... but YMMV....

That is my biggest issue. This company hired me and took the chance while the others wouldnt. Now that they know I am good the others want in.

Edited by Jeeper

I don't know the legal profession, but beware of other people's motives. If you are currently costing the opposition money, they may regard it as cheaper to buy you off and stick you in a dead end position than to meet you in court every week.

If your current employer has already given you a major bump after 4 mos. that's a good omen if there ever was one. If down the road you end up where you're doing more but not getting rewarded more, that's your cue to pick up and move.

If these other opportunities are just totally incredible and "once in a lifetime" deals, none of the above may apply.

If you jump ship from company A to company B; will company B trust you? You jumped once....

Doesn't sound like your current position is that bad.

Do the right thing for the family.

Some people figure that the "right thing" is to go for the biggest dollar and one day they come home to an empty house and divorce papers.

And...better the devil you know....

Stay put, unless you are unhappy. Another thing to consider is what your resume will look like if something goes south. You left one firm in less than 6 months, then another - what will the guy with firm 3 think?

It sounds like everything is going your way - ride that wave as long as you can.

Just look at the resume. In you mind and the industry's mind have you been at your present location an "appropriate" amount of time, and are you finding the place not somewhere you want to be?

Don't have any loyalty to a company, they have none to you BUT don't be a job hopper either.

In all of it look to your own best interests and the development of your life and career.

Most all company's look at employees as a consumable to be used up and discarded. Consider yourself as TP and, even if folded over and good for two swipes..Down the toilet you go without a second thought by your employer when you have served your purpose.

Litigating at a high level, and flexibility in work hours, go together like finely machined moving parts and gravel. While trial work can be deeply satisfying, it will be all-consuming for the first decade or so of your practice if you aspire to be among the top in your area, state, or the country.

Congratulations on your early success. Sounds like you enjoy what you are doing. How hard are you working to attain that level of success? What do you believe you will need to do to step up to the next level, and the level after that, and the level after that? Start doing those things. Be patient but hungry.

The most important thing you can have right now is a strong mentor, a good teacher. A good teacher will keep your head straight, your ego in check, and you on the right path. If you have that teacher / mentor, then stay and forget the money. Learn. Soak it all up.

If you are in a bad match, ie., you just don't get along with the people or can't agree with the vision of the firm, leave...but make your next choice of a firm very, very carefully. I would never make that decision based on money. If you have a great mentor...ask this same question in about 5-7 years.

Good luck.

Just as a question for you, what is fairly standard in your industry for staying with a firm. In IT it is usually about 18 months before a programmer starts to move on. Nothing against the programmer or the firm but this is just how you move up in the industry. As a hiring manager though, I will question someones resume that has every job only last about a year but several of those on a resume won't even make me blink.

Remember, the days of staying with the same company for your whole career is over. Companies are not loyal to their employees for the long run. They may be a great place to work and provide good benefits but if it comes to protecting the bottom line they will let you go and rightfully so because they have a fiduciary responsibility to their stakeholders. So......take everyone's advice...then go with your gut! What is right for you?

Jeeper,

I have a very good friend that is a lawyer. He faced the same situation as you.

The deciding factor for him was that the offer to go somewhere else included becoming a partner. If someone wants you bad enough, ask for a piece of the pie. If they agree, then you know they are serious.

Good luck

+1 Merlin

Most comapnies have no loyalty to you, so you shouldn't be expected to be loyal to them. That should be your last consideration; you're prosperity first, their feelings second.

I put my heart & soul into building a great network for a company. The CEO and Senior VPs all knew how good I was, and how well I served the company. Then comes a long a new manager who used me like TP. Think the CEO or any of the SVPs stood up for me? Not a chance.

And no, I'm not bitter!

That being said, I could probably find a job that pays much better than what I have now, but it would probably involve travel, on-call duties, and other things that would not be good for my family.

As a fellow attorney I understand your situation. I agree for the most part with Bruce's advice. In my neck of the woods attorneys that change firms numerous times when they first start practicing develop a somewhat mercenary reputation. While I do not doubt that you are capable, litigation is a meat grinder and firms are always looking for more meat. You are becoming a proven commodity and a new firm does not have to take as big a chance as your current firm. If you do not work out they can cut you loose and will not have lost low billable hours training.

Unless it is negatively impacting your health or family life I would stay and learn. One issue you touched on involves flexibility of work hours. If you stay where you are, pay your dues and hone your skills you can then go solo or have more control over your career.

My $.02 -- Never chase the money.

Thanks for all the replys. I dont want to start off my career as a job jumper. I am not as interested in the money as having a life. I know that litigation is time consuming and I will be working alot but there still is a little room for flexibility there. I am not thinking hard of leaving at the moment really anyway.

I consider this all the time when a particular job comes open I'm interested in. I keep asking myself, can it be any better than I already have it here? Freedom, flexibility and $$$ are high on my lists. If a company is good to me, they've got my loyalty. Chasing $$$ often leads folks on a very miserable journey.

I wouldn't skip out on a company that took a chance on me after 4 months... but YMMV....

That is my biggest issue. This company hired me and took the chance while the others wouldnt. Now that they know I am good the others want in.

You should cash in on whatever you have to sell. Never confuse business acquantances with friends. Your company may have taken a gamble hiring you, but they would have dumped you in a trash bin if you had not produced quickly. never lie or be dishonest, but never be dumb enough to think they would hesitate to drop you like a hot rock if they needed to or had a more advantageous opportunity.

Take it from an old goat who's been working 30 years. In the end, you trade your life for a small pile of cash. Don't ever fall in love with your employer, because I can absolutely guarantee they will never love you back.

There's a lot of good advice here. Since they've increased your pay, I'd say that's a good reason to stay. Longevity with a company looks good on your resume. However, if things start to turn south, don't hesitate to start looking elsewhere. I've been thinking about leaving my company for 2 years, but every time I do I feel guilty. After all, they spent a lot of money to train me and relocate me across the country. The job was just not a good fit for me and in the end, they pulled the trigger before I did. (I was already taking up the pretravel, but couldn't bring myself to break the shot.) Now I'm looking for work. Don't get yourself in that situation. If the job/management/situation changes for the worse, don't hesitate to look for greener pastures.

Just my 2 cents.

splashdown

Edited by splashdown

Loyalty to your employer is very important. But loyalty to your family is paramount. In other words, no one would expect you to force your family to sacrifice because you want to be loyal to your boss. Employers understand that business is business, and the possibility of losing an employee to a better offer is a fact of life.

Having said that, it is in your own best interest not to be too quick on the trigger. Apart from the possibility of scarring your resume, you might jump ship and regret it. A law partnership is like a marriage. Get to know those lawyers before marrying them. When I first started practicing I got lucky and got a job with one of the few lawyers in the area who is smart, aggressive, and ethical. Out of more than 500 lawyers in the county, there are maybe 10 I could work for, and he is one. I can't even guess what life would be like if I'd landed with one of the others.

[EDITED TO ADD:] By the way, we parted ways after a couple of years. I've been on my own ever since, including one stretch with a partner. Business is business.

PM me if you want to discuss this further.

Edited by Genghis

I’ve been practicing law for twelve years now. Where does the time go? Anyway, free advice is usually overpriced, but here are my thoughts:

· Mentors: In the early years of your practice, you REALLY learn to practice (hopefully) from your partner/mentor, etc. within the firm. Consider that issue carefully.

· The Firm: You may or may not know what area in which you will ultimately practice. Does the firm offer several areas that you can try out?

· Loyalty: When I left my first firm for another opportunity, some of my associates and partners thought I did not show appropriate loyalty to the firm – the firm that hired me straight out of law school. A year later, the firm (that had about 100 attorneys) broke up because the partners were arguing about money! Where was their loyalty? At the end of the day, you work for yourself and your family. A firm/company/etc. will get rid of you, me and anyone else if it suits their purposes. Don’t forget that . . .

· Mentors: In the early years of your practice, you REALLY learn to practice (hopefully) from your partner/mentor, etc. within the firm. Consider that issue carefully.

At the end of the day, you work for yourself and your family.

My two biggest concerns.