Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Vs. 1050?

Here is the deal... First off I've read Brians topic "Which Dillon should I buy" and I did a search for this topic but didn't find what I was looking for. I've been loading for a few years now on a 650 and it's great. Well, now I'm shooting a lot more than I was before AND will be shooting open so I'll need to switch calibers frequently. (.38 super and .40 S&W) I know chancing from these calibers will only take a couple of minutes but I'm really thinking of buying a 1050.

So here are my questions. For those of you that have both the 650 and 1050 or for those who have upgraded from a 650 to a 1050 exactly how much better is the 1050 over the 650? What are your opinions on both machines. My 650 has been really good to me. I've had a few issues with it but nothing major. I've loaded tens of thousands rounds on my 650 so I do have experience with loading. Will it be worth spending $1700 for this setup with a bench or should I just stick with what I've got? Is the 1050 money well spent?

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Pete....

Order a 1050 in the caliber you shoot most. If you're planning on shooting equal amounts of Super and .40, order two and save the 650 for rifle calibers. I use the 1050 to load 9mm production loads, the 650 for .38 special and .45ACP. I still maintain an emergency toolhead for 9mm for the 650, since I like to load on match mornings......

My setup for a long time was a RL1050 for .38 Super and a XL650 for .40/.223. Then I got my Brazos Limited Pistol and started shooting a LOT more rifle. So, I bought a second 1050 after selling the XL650. He's set up for .40. I did this thinking that I might some day switch from .38 Super to SC and then all I have to do is change the toolhead.

Well, I'm lazy and can usually find an excuse to buy anything. So, got another XL650 and he sits next to the two RL1050's. He loads .223, 9mm and the occasional run of .45 ACP.

Bottom line is this. My first progressive was XL650 and it ran great (once I got it to run). Then I spent some time in AZ training with Matt B. and in his usual direct manner had me load ammo on his 1050. Bam! Biggest mistake of my life. I was hooked. Nothing on the upstroke, the machine moved and operated smoother, better and faster.

So if the choice is either a second 650 for a RL1050 to go with your XL650, I'd do what Nik said and order the 1050 in whichever you shoot more. Keep the 650 for the "other" caliber as well as everything else that you load.

SPC (P) Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Edited by uscbigdawg

I have 2 650 reloaders and have never tried the 1050 out. The thing I think I'de like the most about the 1050 is the built in primer pocket swager feature. I shoot and load a lot of 45 ACP, 9mm, and 38 Special. There is enough crimped primer pocket brass out there to really choke up my operation if I'm not careful in my brass scrounging.

Seating the primer on the downstroke is worth every penny of the 1050's price. In addition, it's just a better built, smoother running machine. Once you've loaded on a 1050, you won't ever want to go back.

be

1050 vs anything else.

"Until youve tasted caviar, peanut butter does just fine."

I've had the top of the line caviar and Russian vodka to go with it and thought both were crap....it's all individual taste.

I know those that have the 1050 swear by them but my thought is twice the cost and only a one year warranty just doesn't seem justified.

I know of one shooter telling me it cost him $750 to get his rebuilt and I'm thinking that is a new 650 right there.

I'm with AZ38super. I have a 650 and a 1050. The 1050 is somewhat faster when it works, but much more trouble to keep running than a 650 - at least mine is. I actually prefer the primer system on the 650, because I have better "feel".

Buy another 650 if it makes you happy, and take the $500+ you save and buy bullets. I regret not doing the same when I was making the exact same decision.

Edited by Scott G

Hey Scott .... does that mean there is a 1050 on the market?

I'll trade you a perfect 650 for it, with several toolheads!

Edited by L9X25

Maybe "taste" isn't the best analogy. ;)

Until you've operated a 1050....

If I had to pay for every part that I ever had to replace on a 1050, from the moment I bought it, I'd still take it hands down over a 650.

And although I'd definitely consider myself a "feeler" - if I could have a machine that seats the primers to the same, pre-adjusted depth every single time, vs. a machine that I had to "feel the primer in every time" - it wouldn't take long to make that decision.

be

I know those that have the 1050 swear by them but my thought is twice the cost and only a one year warranty just doesn't seem justified.

I know of one shooter telling me it cost him $750 to get his rebuilt and I'm thinking that is a new 650 right there.

I've NEVER paid from a part from Dillon for my 1050. I don't see how you could cause that much damage as a hobby shooter unless you are not at all mechanically inclined or don't ever lube the monster. There are a few tricks to keeping it running perfect, but no way I'm going to another press currently on the market, I'll stop shooting first. I have always had a strong dislike for reloading, but the 1050 eases the pain.

Pete,

I went through the same dilemma back in January and ended up purchasing a Super 1050 from Brian. I'm not going back to the 650 unless something happens to my 1050 and Dillon is unable to get the parts to me. I'm even planning on getting my second 1050 in a few months, easy Brian don't start licking your chops yet! HE HE!

I "feel" like I'm in the minority here, and I'm glad to see so many passionate 1050 fans. I hope to become one of them if I can chase the gremlins out of mine.

For those expecting a straight up trade, 650 for 1050:

I'm no rocket surgeon, and I'm certainly no Alvin Einstein :huh::blink: , but there aren't any turnip trucks near me either... ;)

I started out with a 650 loading .45 and added the conversion kit to load 40. Then I bought a 1050 to load 38 supercomp. After I've paid for the cataract and lasik surgeries I fully intend to purchase another 1050 set up for 40 and leave the 650 set up for 45. One press for each caliber, preferably a 1050. :)

I started on a 550, moved up to a 650, just recently bought a 1050 from Brian.

After about 5k rounds experience on the 1050 and 50k+ rounds on the 650, I much prefer loading on the 1050!

These are advantages as I see them of the 1050 over the 650.

-Less physically tiring

-Faster

-More room to get your hands in there to manipulate/change/fix things when murphy comes calling

-Much better casefeed system

-More heavy-duty. Plastic parts on the 650 wear out, the 1050 uses more metal (replace all your plastic parts subject to wear every 20k rounds on your 650 - don't ask me how I learned this)

-More stations means more options for die setep (example, I'm going to change my .40 toolhead to run the dillon resize/deprime die 1st, then a egw undersize die 2nd, and I can still use a powerdcheck - can't do that on a 650)

-Larger bullet bin

-Can swage crimped primer pockets (I plan on loading .223, this be important to me)

-Smoother/more efficient seating of primer on upstroke - no extra pushing/doing it by feel

-Primer system doesn't kick unused primers out

Negatives of the 1050

-more stuff going on, takes a little while to learn the press

-stuck/crushed primers in the primer seater are a PITA, but no less so than in a 650

I plan on buying another 1050 from Brian, having one setup for 9mm, one for 40, and using my 650 for smaller-quantity projects (45, .308)

I get a true 1000 rounds per hour loaded on my 1050. This includes time spent clearing jams, refilling the primer feeder (I use a RF100, which helps tremendously), putting more bullets on the bullet tray, and all those other little tasks that eat up time. However, I try not to load more than 1 hr at a time to prevent burnout. Doing this every other day or so adds up to a lot of rounds in a week.

GET THE 1050. Buy from Brian. He made me a heckuva deal and gave excellent advice as to things I didn't even think of.

• 2 weeks later...