Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kydex Belt Holster Or Doh

Sixgun

I've switched over to a kydex belt holster for my Limited gun from a Ghost Holster. I just feel more secure with a "gun bucket", rather than a "triggerguard clamp". I currently have a Comp-Tac belt holster. The gun sits higher than it did with the Ghost. I've practiced with it a bunch and it's feeling more natural now. Would using a DOH hoster really give me any benefit?

I'm wondering what how much time, if any, I'm giving up having a regular belt holster compared to the DOH.

What does everyone think?

Ray

On Matt Burkett's video, he says your shoulder should not rise during the draw stroke. I'm using a severely dropped and offset franken-holster (Kytac + Blade Tech) and my shoulder still comes up because the gun has to be lifted so high to clear the holster. I think the DOH would be better than a standard high ride holster. You should change if yours is causing you to contort your body just to clear the kydex, IMHO.

splashdown

• 2 weeks later...

I started with a regular on the belt kidex for CC carry. So it was pretty high on the belt. I then got a DOH Blade Tech. I felt like it improved my draw quit a bit. I dont' know if it did but I quit thinking about it.

I'm now using a Ghost since I went to a Limited with full dusk cover. Again, I feel like the I draw faster from the Ghost but I don't know if I do.

I agree about the comfort of a "gun bucket" security.

What are going to do with your Ghost? My son needs one for a STI.

I use a DOH that I heated & bent a little to the outside so I do not hit it w/ my thumb. I did sub-sec. draws w/ my ghost & can do it w/ my DOH but can re-holster FAST when needed for 3-gun.

I use a Ghost for Limited and a DOH for 3 Gun. I have been considering the DOH for Limited because I get a perfect grip with the DOH and don't always with the Ghost. I think it has something to do with the security of the DOH, you don't feel like the gun is going to get away from you on the draw.

• 4 weeks later...

Splashdown, I would love to see some pic's of your franken-holster and a discription of how you made it. I really like the feel of the draw from my Kytac, but am not willing to give up the positioning of my DOH (Kytac is too high for me to draw a Glock 34 from without screwing up my index). I wish Kytac made a DOH of his Super Hooper. I think it would severly cut Blade-Tech's DOH sales. The Kytac is just too smooth, no clickety clump on the draw or re-holster, but just as secure.

I suppose the other issues that you really need to consider with this holseter discusion are these:

1) How much faster is the Ghost, Limcat, Garcia, Res-comp, over the DOH? Maybe .1 to .15 tops.

2) How often in a match is there a shot that is needed directly out of the holster with no movement before the shot? If you shoot a seven stage match, usually there is at least one stage that the guns starts somewhere other the holster. Now were down to (6) stages. Now how many stages start you in a box and then you need to turn, or head out of the box before you engage any targets? Probably 2-3. That leaves 3-4 stages where the difference in time from your draw to first shot is directly related to the speed of your holsters. In the examples give above that would be a total of .4 seconds over the course of a match. In my case I know that I am not anywhere near .4 seconds away from contending for the match win. I have way to many other places that I can make up or lose time besides the draw to worry about it.

3) How many times have you seen a guy get DQ'd wearing a DOH versus a trigger lock model where they forget to lock the trigger bar?

Now with all that said I use a DOH for all my matches. During one of the classes I took from a GM he said that there is no need to get a trigger lock holster until you reach at least master class. Once your at that level then the .15 seconds on a draw may help with a stage win. Then again that assumes you do everything right after you draw gun :D

Easy way to try both and compare. The new Blade-Tech DOH holster can be both. The DOH is now a two piece unit. The actual belt mount (Stingray) and the drop. If you want to run the holster in IDPA, just remove the drop and put the Stingray directly on the holster. I just shot the West Coast Dual Championship and at least a couple of the big dogs (John Flentz and Jeff Gambrell that I saw) are running this way even for USPSA. They said they like the holster there even more than the DOH.

For those folks that have the older style DOH where it screws onto the holster, Blade-Tech has the new DOH parts available to retrofit your holsters.

I have been using an Arrenondo for Limited, and a standard Blade Tech for IDPA and Single Stack. I borrowed a friends DOH just to try and have been playing with it for a while now. I am actually the quickest using the standard Blade Tech.

Due to the posts and the articles I've read I ordered a left handed DOH today to give it a try. Is it necessary to get the TEK-LOK attatchment? I really couldn't discern the info from the guy on the phone, and they said it would take 6-7 weeks to get it. Plenty of time to adjust the order if necessary.

I have both the Comptac belt and DOH I use for Production, and actually prefer the Comptac. My thumb always hits the off-set plastic part of the DOH rig -- which is too close to the pistol's grip -- preventing me from getting a good grip. I will try to melt and bend the DOH like Benny did to see if it improves, but I really like the Comptac. It sits lower on the belt than the Kytac SH2 and is just as smooth [once you melt out the trigger guard bump].

The Comptac belt holster I think is a little bit faster from the surrender position, and I think the DOH is a little faster from standing with hands at sides. They are about the same on gun-on-table starts. ;)

Sean - to get rid the that "click-clop" sound from the DOH -- and to make it a lot smoother in draw -- take a blow dryer on hot and melt out the trigger guard retention. It is HUGE on the DOH. The draw is much better with that melted down, and the screws alone are enough to keep the gun retained but smooth on the draw.

Shoot what you have and orde the DOH -- you'll be waiting a few months for delivery. Cheers,

-brian reynolds

i just ordered one from blade tech...DOH with tek-lok...got it in 9 week.

Glock model...

Ryan

i got mine in a week..

Due to the posts and the articles I've read I ordered a left handed DOH today to give it a try. Is it necessary to get the TEK-LOK attatchment? I really couldn't discern the info from the guy on the phone, and they said it would take 6-7 weeks to get it. Plenty of time to adjust the order if necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the BladeTech Stringray plus the DOH parts for my Glock 17. I shot 2 USPSA matches using the DOH mount, and then started practicing without it for the Carolina Cup IDPA match. I like it better without the DOH attachment, and I feel faster, but have not timed myself yey.

Bruce