Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Moon Carrying Ideas

aerosigns

Hi guys,

Getting my gear all loaded up for the WI Section. :D

Does anyone have any wiz-bang ideas for how to carry bunches of loaded up moon clips?

I thought about trying to modify some type of tackle or tool box, but I figure I had better ask the 'old timers' before I head off on my own.

See you all Saturday night at the Best Western, or Sunday at the range.

Jim

I used to use the box the bullets came in.

The box that 500 .38 spec bullets comes in is the right size to hold about 30-40 fully loaded 627 clips.

I put the bullet box in a small canvas tool bag. You can get the bag from sears or harbor freight.

After a while you will want to replace to box with a plastic container of similar size.

The bag idea works for the Steel Challenge, IRC, Regional Match or monthly match.

This allows you to keep the clutter out of the main shooting bag.

The neat thing is that the small canvas bag with ammo fits inside the Dillon Range bag and then can be taken out when at the match.

Works for me.

DVC

Renny

I use (in my Shooters Connection Tournament inner bag) a piece of oak with 12 dowel rods. Each dowel holds 4 moonclips. That's 288 rounds of 625 moons. Works great. As I unload empty moons, I drop the empty moonclip onto one dowel.

Dave

Come to the Kansas Sunflower Classic, or Area 3, and you may win one of the Moon Caddies I've been making. I'm donating 2 to the Sunflower and 3 to the Area 3. See Attachment. They hold 30 clips (can be made bigger though) for 180 rounds. I slide it into a shooting bag. Used it in a Dillon Bag and several of the Tournament Bags.

Whatever you use try to make it something that doesn't bend the clips, or allow them to get overly dirty.

post-4896-1145364580.jpg

Sam and I were each fortunate enough to win one of pskys2's Moon Caddies last year. They're really nice (we treat ours like semi-trophies) and practical too. If you're not able to shoot for one at the Sunflower or Area 3 this spring, send pskys2 a PM and I'm sure he can work you a deal!

I had seen the I-shot, at a match, but didn't know the manufacturer. I really like the panel idea.

Mike - Do you carry the box around with you from stage to stage? I know I will get to see a live demonstration in a few days, so now I am waiting to see what a Semi Trophy looks like. I always thought they were blonde. :lol:

I just wondered how does everyone carry a full load of 'moons' during a big match? Last night I loaded up 40 moons. They fill a 3 lb. coffee can about 3/4 full.

Like they said in Open Range - I don't plan to get killed for lack of shootin' back! B)

I am done changing things for now. I always teach my classes the most important rule is:

Nothing New On Raceday!

Jim

From the Plumber:

Buy a 12" X 1/2OD water closet supply tube. Perfect size for moon clips, the flange end holds them, and if you get bored, you can use the tube as a bean shooter to harass the open guys :D

I use them both in my range bag and on the lazy man's cart I use for dragging my gear around at a match.

cart-small2.jpg

Each of the rod holders is perfect size for 6 shot 45ACP moons. I put the water closet supply tube in the rod holder and load it up with about 12 moons per tube. Works great.

As for the ISHOT bag, I was not impressed.

Regards,

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Plano boxes are the best things I've found. The number 3700 holds 22 eight shot moons. I use the 3600 for my 625 moons.

Wallmart also sells a knock off brand that work just as well.

+1 on the Plano 3600 boxes. I can put 30 loaded clips in them and they fit nicely in the side pocked of my Dillon range bag. Round_Gun_Shooter turned me on to them a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. You can get them at Dicks Sporting goods for $3 if you have one around you.

-Cuz.

Sam and I were each fortunate enough to win one of pskys2's Moon Caddies last year. They're really nice (we treat ours like semi-trophies) and practical too. If you're not able to shoot for one at the Sunflower or Area 3 this spring, send pskys2 a PM and I'm sure he can work you a deal!

Picture please ????????

Plano boxes work for everything and you can get them in different sizes. If you want you can buy the tackle box that holds four to five of the trays. I have been using for years and have less than $10.00 into the whole set up.

I seem to see a common theme here, that Wal-mart is the place to go.

Walt - That box is pretty nice. My son has something similar. He has several smaller boxes that lock together with the big one. He uses it for all of his guitar accessories.

Maybe, when he's not looking I can dump that junk out and put something important in there.

Jim

My son has something similar. He has several smaller boxes that lock together with the big one. He uses it for all of his guitar accessories.

Maybe, when he's not looking I can dump that junk out and put something important in there.

There ya go.

Now that you mention it, I bet I could put one of my wife's "bead" junk boxes to better use.

Picture please ????????

Round_Gun I like your "Range Sweeper" Pix.

See the attachment for a pix of the Moon Caddie.

Hey us "COOL" Revo Guys gotta have some Gadgets, we don't spend near enough on our guns!

And Dremel Accessories don't count.

post-4896-1145451093.jpg

post-4896-1145451300.jpg

Edited by pskys2

The large "flat rate" USPS box works well- GO POSTAL!

It has thick enough cardboard so that it won't let anything get banged up or bent. It fits nicely in the bottom of a Craftsman (or other) rolling plastic toolbox. Seat, lunch pail, range cart all in one.

Picture please ????????

Round_Gun I like your "Range Sweeper" Pix.

See the attachment for a pix of the Moon Caddie.

Hey us "COOL" Revo Guys gotta have some Gadgets, we don't spend near enough on our guns!

And Dremel Accessories don't count.

Nice box. How many loaded clips does it hold?

I also found cutting a Plano box I can get 2 in the pullout center bag of my Shooter's Connection bag holding 56 loaded clips and still room for the empties. The boxes also fit in the outside laarge compartment.

PLANOINBAG2.jpg

PLANOINBAG.jpg

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

Round_Gun the ones in the pix hold 30 clips, 3 rows of 5 dowels with 2 clips on top of each other (2 clips/dowel). It has a plastic lid to keep the junk out.

I've made them with up to 3 rows of 8 dowels which comes to 48 clips (288 rounds). I made those with 1/4" sidewalls. They didn't look as neat, but worked good.

I like them cause they help me keep track of the clips used and loaded vs. used/partials. Plus I don't worry that somebody, or myself, will drop something on them and bend up a bunch of clips. It also helps keep them from getting drenched or dusted. They are more expensive, and time consuming to make, than the plano's, but they fit so neatly into a shooting bag and look kind of "Professional".