Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wal-mart Drops Gun Sales

lndshrk

Wal-Mart drops gun sales in about third of U.S. stores

Posted 4/14/2006 11:46 AM

The Associated Press

Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) has decided to stop selling guns in about a third of its U.S. stores in what it calls a marketing decision based on lack of demand in some places, a company spokeswoman said Friday.

The world's largest retailer decided last month to remove firearms from about 1,000 stores in favor of stocking other sporting goods, in line with a "Store of the Community" strategy for increasing sales by paying closer attention to local differences in demand.

"This decision is based on diminished customer relevancy and demand in these markets," said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Jolanda Stewart.

Stewart declined to specify what stores were affected.

Wal-Mart, based in Bentonville, Ark., has about 1,200 discount stores and 1,900 Supercenters, which include a full grocery section, in all 50 states. Wal-Mart says it sells rifles and shotguns. In Alaska, it also sells handguns.

"As with all merchandise decisions that we make, our decision to remove guns from Wal-Mart locations is simply based on the lack of customer purchase history of firearms in a given community," Stewart said.

Wal-Mart's experimental new Supercenter for more upscale shoppers, which opened last month in the affluent Dallas suburb of Plano, does not carry guns.

As Wal-Mart seeks growth by moving from rural America into cities and suburbs, it finds it needs to retune its inventory to appeal to more urban consumers.

The Plano store is a testing ground for ideas, from trendier products to more subdued interiors, that are part of a broad effort at Wal-Mart to rekindle sluggish growth by luring more affluent shoppers away from faster-growing rivals such as Target (TGT).

Chief Executive Lee Scott has said that in communities like Plano, Wal-Mart's sports department should shift from a traditional emphasis on hunting and fishing to more home fitness and exercise products.

Edited by lndshrk

I can't really blame them from not using floor space for something that doesnt turn enough of a profit. They have no obligation to do so. What I do not like is that the news makes it sound like somehow there is a decline in firearm interest and ownership, which happens not to be the case.

Vlad's right some locations just don't have a large gun demand so use the space for something in more demand. But, the media idiots will twist it into a left wing agenda, or try. Myself, I like walmart, but if there is a local store/shop that has the same thing, I'd rather get it from the local shop. ;)

I spoke with a gentleman thats works in Ohio at the Local Walmart Supercenter. He stated that the store, that this particular stores sells more guns than something like 20 other stores in the Area or district combined. He was told that they were going to stop selling guns and he couldn't understand because they made so much money from it. He said that particular day he had sold completely out of 2 models of shotguns, something like 5 guns and had sold another 5 guns on top of that. I was at the store about noon. I'll have to stop out and talk to him again. Are they trying to hide what they are really doing???

Flyin40

I spoke with a gentleman thats works in Ohio at the Local Walmart Supercenter. He stated that the store, that this particular stores sells more guns than something like 20 other stores in the Area or district combined. He was told that they were going to stop selling guns and he couldn't understand because they made so much money from it. He said that particular day he had sold completely out of 2 models of shotguns, something like 5 guns and had sold another 5 guns on top of that. I was at the store about noon. I'll have to stop out and talk to him again. Are they trying to hide what they are really doing???

Flyin40

Corporations also often make decisions that apply to regional areas, for consistencies sake. It's possible, that while that particular store makes money on firearms, that they'll have to stop anyway, because the other 19 stores in the same area aren't selling any. Those decisions are usually reached to make it easier for other parts of the company to have only one set of policies or one product flow that meets all stores needs.....

Flyin40

Corporations also often make decisions that apply to regional areas, for consistencies sake. It's possible, that while that particular store makes money on firearms, that they'll have to stop anyway, because the other 19 stores in the same area aren't selling any. Those decisions are usually reached to make it easier for other parts of the company to have only one set of policies or one product flow that meets all stores needs.....

Probably the case here. Most everything with them is sales/margin per square foot. For a Regional Manager, it's easier to manage by exception if every store is stocked the same.

Hard for FFls when Walmart sells them cheaper than they can buy them.-------Larry

I know but I try to support our local FFL holders.

And it's tuff stuff to spend more than you know you have to. :(

I don't want FFL elimination forcing me to make purchases at the other Big Boxes either.

Can you imagine only being able to buy our stuff at Scheels or Bass Pro? :angry:

FM

• 9 months later...

I know this has been dead for a while, but I just had to get this one back towards the top! I heard somewhere that Wal*mart and Target are merging and that is the reason for dropping the firearms...something about Target supporting gun control :ph34r:

All I know is that the commies have finally gotten out here to NM!! I have never bought a firearm from Walmart (although I admit, I have bought ammo) and never would, cheaper or not, but it's a matter of PRINCIPLE!!!

I have not and will not buy guns or ammo from Walmart. I only use walmart when at a match and I have run out of some item or lost my chair or something of that nature and its 10oclock and Wally is all thats open. I use them out of neccessity. If I have to have cheap ammo I go to Dicks when its on sale. But mostly I try to use the gun shop I buy most of my guns from. As a good customer he know what I spend on ammo and other things and he cuts me a good deal. Items he doesnt want to carry we get thru Black Hills or Chuck Bradley or guys like that. If Target and Walmart merge it wont matter as I dont shop at target either. I know the price of ammo is going up like crazy, components are also, so we have to get together and buy in bulk and make the best of it. Without exception everytime I go to a Walmart, I end up getting pissed because of 1 thing or another, so I avoid it unless absolutely neccessary.

I dont think I have ever purchased a gun from walmart. They just don't really have what I am looking for. they have a very limited selection. At least the ones around here. There ammo prices are ok, but they are not the best around here. Academy has better prices. but anyways it doesn't hurt my feelings one bit.

. . . He was told that they were going to stop selling guns and he couldn't understand because they made so much money from it. . . . Are they trying to hide what they are really doing???

Flyin40

Corporations also often make decisions that apply to regional areas, for consistencies sake. . . Those decisions are usually reached to make it easier for other parts of the company to have only one set of policies or one product flow that meets all stores needs.....

NE Fla, Walmart SuperMegaUltraTotallywhatyouneed Center opened, no gun sales. Manager on the floor said as new Walmarts opened, they would not sell guns; doesn't match what you were told -- other Walmarts in the same area are still selling (briskly).

The one that opened locally is in what has been a high-demand area for firearms (rural, not urban). Has a LOT of local people ticked off.

IMHO, Wally World is trying to quietly cave to PC.

I know that in alot of the areas they are opening up new stores that sometimes the city will not allow them to sell guns due to being close to a school. With as many WM that there are I would bet a lot of stores are located around Schools.

I was in a Sports Authority in Tampa that had gotten rid of all their firearms and gun supply stuff. But the local one here just expanded the section.

I'm not sure I buy the dollars per square foot thing, wanting to use that space for something more profitable. The gun displays only take up about 8 square feet. Most of the Wal-Marts I see still have the ammo counter and hunting aisle, so there has to be another reason to get rid of just the guns.

I'm not ready to conclude it's just due to political correctness or a liberal agenda. Could it also be that their employees can't handle the forms and paperwork? Worried about the ATF on their backs?

Then again, maybe they are going to put pole dancers or sell drinks in the place of the gun displays? That would make some money.

Edited by Tim James

I would rather pay more at a true FFL holder engaged in the sale of firearms and related items than a general store.

Nebraska used to have more FFL holders than gas stations.

Good times.

FM

+2...it's not like when Dick's sold Glock mags they were well priced anyway :angry: