Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Mount A Ransom Rest?

spetrola

I just broke down and bought a ransom rest and was wondering how you all mounted them at the range? I am thinking about using a 35 lbs block of cement with the bolts sticking out of it and screwing the rest to that, anyone think it will work?

Thanks,

Scott

I just broke down and bought a ransom rest and was wondering how you all mounted them at the range? I am thinking about using a 35 lbs block of cement with the bolts sticking out of it and screwing the rest to that, anyone think it will work?

Thanks,

Scott

i mounted one to a 3/8" piece of plate, and used huge "C" clamps to attach it at the range...

I mounted mine to a chunk of butcherblock counter top and then use 12" C clamps to hold it to the top of the cement benches out at my range.

The link below is from the Ransom rest site and has some suggestions on mounting:

http://www.ransomrest.com/ptips.html#RansomRestInstructions ://http://www.ransomrest.com/ptips.htm...tructions

Neal in AZ

I have thought seriously about buying a Ransom rest by I wonder how it would work with guns that have mag wells.

Doesn't the grip of the gun get clamped into the rest?

I don't see how that could work on a race gun.

Tls

I have thought seriously about buying a Ransom rest by I wonder how it would work with guns that have mag wells.

Doesn't the grip of the gun get clamped into the rest?

I don't see how that could work on a race gun.

Tls

That's one of the things I'm thinking about too.

Guess you could always tap out the mainspring housing pin, remove the magwell, tap it back in, test and then put the magwell back on. Shouldn't be that much extra hassle.

I thought I wrote a Ransom Rest specific article, but it's not on my website now. ere are some pages that may help you though:

Pictures of mounting pedestal

Picture of clamping to bench

The big deal with Raqnsom Rests ARE the inserts. Really no excuse not to have one for S_I frames though...

I modified a stock Glock one to fit my G22 with extended controls and it worked well. however, since doing the grip mods on my G35 (same frame type), it's a pain to get the pistol to stay in the Glock insert securely.

the solution is to custom mould an insert. I have the silicone material, pressure chamber, and vacuum chamber, but I just haven't found the time to make the initial mould, male cast, and then the inserts. The inserts need to be cast with the aluminum plates in place. then you peel them off and re-secure them with PSA or other adhesive.

Ransom Rest comes in super handy for research projects...

I modified a stock Glock one to fit my G22 with extended controls and it worked well. however, since doing the grip mods on my G35 (same frame type), it's a pain to get the pistol to stay in the Glock insert securely.

the solution is to custom mould an insert. I have the silicone material, pressure chamber, and vacuum chamber, but I just haven't found the time to make the initial mould, male cast, and then the inserts. The inserts need to be cast with the aluminum plates in place. then you peel them off and re-secure them with PSA or other adhesive.

Sounds like a SVI grip that is stippled would also be a problem I guess. At least without a custom insert.

Sounds like a SVI grip that is stippled would also be a problem I guess. At least without a custom insert.

It would depend entirely on how much of a dimension change there was... The inserts conform pretty well... If it was just a texture change, you'd be OK... It's when you make significant changes to dimensions... takin goff a lot of material.

I just happened to notice that RR does not list an insert for S_I. :blink:

the list of inserts

Yes they do, it is listed as a "McCormick"

Neal in AZ

Thats interesting but I'm betting this "McCormick SVI/STI" insert is for a single stack 1911 and not a 2011.

I doubt it, since the only frame made by all three is the doublestack. What would lead you to think that it's for a singlestack?

I just happened to notice that RR does not list an insert for S_I. :blink:

the list of inserts

Yes they do, it is listed as a "McCormick"

Neal in AZ

Thats interesting but I'm betting this "McCormick SVI/STI" insert is for a single stack 1911 and not a 2011.

I doubt it, since the only frame made by all three is the doublestack. What would lead you to think that it's for a singlestack?

Why?, because they explicitly list it as "1911/STI/SVI".

I am speculating here.

I don't know this for a fact and I am not familiar with McCormick frames.

That having been said, I do know that both STI & SVI make single stack 1911's.

I think it unlikely that any part that adapts the grip of a 1911 to a ransom rest would work on a wide body gun.

Especially a wide body gun with a mag well.

The original, very first STI frames were badged as "McCormick" frames. People that built stuff to fit them in the early days used that nomenclature or "McCormick/Tripp". IIRC, Safariland STI mag pouches still say "McCormick/Tripp" on the back.

• 16 years later...

Bringing this old topic up after a search. I'm wondering what other people use to mount their Ransom Rest to. I have the base and attach it to a bench but not sure the bench is substantial enough to hold it steady. I'd like to mount a post in the ground just for this purpose but wondering if I really need to go through that amount of work. 

If anyone has pictures of their mount I'd like to see them. 

Thanks. 

• 2 weeks later...

For this to really work properly you need something very substantial to mount it to.  The Bullseye guys have spent a lot of time on this.  The best was Keefers arrangement:

https://www.1911forum.com/threads/ransom-rest-results.725177/

Perhaps excessive (looks like the concrete block is 3' cube) but he was one of the very best accuracy guys / machinist around.  (Now passed)

• 4 weeks later...