Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1100 Wont Run

Kimberkid

I just picked up a used Remmy 1100 and it is a wonderful single shot. I took it back to Gander Mountain where I bought it to cash in on the 30 day warranty. The "gunsmith" told me it needed a good cleaning and I could pick it back up in a couple hours. I get it back and nothing is different. I am gonna give him another chance to fix it, but since I am skeptical of this dude anyways, ya'll's input would be appreciated.

It is either a failure to eject or extract, not sure which. Upon firing the bolt goes rearward, not sure if all the way, and forward again, keeping the fired shell in the chamber. I figure either the extractor is working, pulling the shell out and with the ejector failing it is just shoving the spent shell back in the chamber, or the extractor is letting go of the shell, and rehooking around the shell when the bolt closes again. I am also curious about the extractor as it doesnt have much tension on it. It can easily be pushed back and forth with 1 finger. How much tension should this have? Everything works fine when hand cycling.

Thoughts?

Keep in mind I am functionally retarded in the way of shotguns.

Edited by Kimberkid

I bought a used 1100 from Cabelas (they also have the 30 day warranty on used guns.) It didn't have an o-ring in it. The gun was fairly cheap, but I told them to knock 10% off, put an o-ring in, and I'd take it. Done deal. Runs like a champ. Don't pay $5 or more for a little piece of rubber. Order you a mess of o-rings from Eric Wesselman. I replace mine every time I take the gun apart to clean. It's cheap insurance that it will run on match day.

The guy allegedly replaced the O ring when he "cleaned" it. I planned on ordering a bunch from Eric when I order the other stuff to build it up (mag tube, ez loader) but I dont wanna do anything until I know this thing will run. I've seen dirty guns malf, but never every single round.

What kind of ammo did you try?

Initially mine would not run with promo ammo and need full power stuff to run. After it broke in, it was fine with the cheap stuff too. Might try a slug or a buckshot just to see if the extra energy lets it cycle completely. If that does not work, RUN from that gun!

+1 on what ammo are you running. If it isn't at least 3.25 Dram 1.125 Oz it may not run the gun without modifying the gas system.

Lube and a fresh o-ring can make them run with 3 dram 1.125 oz, but usually you want closer to full bore ammo in them, especially with an old, hardened, or trashed o-ring and some dirt and no oil (always keep remmy gas systems wet with motor oil).

If heftier ammo and a fresh o-ring make it run 100%, there is nothing wrong with it.

KK,

The extractor tension on an 1100 is very light. What may be an issue is that the extractor hook is chipped or rolled over. If you have a good, clean edge, it should be fine. If not, you need a new extractor.

Other things to check:

- Piston Assembly - Make sure it is oriented correctly. There should be a sticker indicating proper orientation on the gun. The small flange goes toward the muzzle (IIRC).

Also check to see if your piston is broken. A good piston is a collection of ring halves held together by a metal keeper. I think it's made of some type of ceramic, so it is somewhat fragile and could break if dropped. There should be no obvious cracks or gouges in the piston.

- Lube. Make sure the piston is cleaned and lubed.

- Gas ports. Make sure your gas ports are not obstructed. Use a piece of wire or small gage drill to poke through the ports and ensure they are clear. It could be as simple as a piece of lead shot blocking off a port.

- Gas port dia. Virtually everyone has to drill their gas ports to ensure function with light loads. If you don't want to drill, you need to run heavy trap loads and full power slugs to ensure 100% function.

- o-rings. Usually, if everything is right, the 1100 will function without an o-ring. We use an o-ring as sort of a plan B. It's there for the occasional light load, or for some extra gas boost when your gun gets dirty. Factory remmy rings are very hard, and I, personally, don't think they seal very well. I (and a lot of other folks) tend to prefer a softer ring that seals better and just change them out every couple cases of shells.

The most common malfunction in 1100's is actually broken o-rings, so you might pull the forend, barrel, and gas piston and do some poking around to see if you have o-ring chunks gumming up the works.

- ejector - the ejector is part of the barrel hood. Either it's there or it's not.

- Finally, there are internal spring tensions in the trigger group that have to be just-so for the 1100 to work properly. I let my gunsmith handle that kind of stuff. There is definitely an art to getting that right. Once you do, you don't have to mess with it again.

Hope that helps and gets you running.

Edited by EricW

- Piston Assembly - Make sure it is oriented correctly. There should be a sticker indicating proper orientation on the gun. The small flange goes toward the muzzle (IIRC).

The piece that is flat goes towards the muzzle. The angled piece is on the reciever side, with the angle towards the muzzle. Someone I knew had a similar problem, his 1100 only worked with slugs. He put the rings in the wrong order, with the angled ring in front, all it did was deflect the gas effectively.

Eric is right about a rounded or chipped extractor possibly doing that, but in most cases I have seen where the gun was just undercycling the hull is getting pulled partially but not enough to actually come out of the chamber so it just goes right back in. If it wasn't actually grabbing and extracting the round at all and the bolt was going full stroke, then the loader/lifter would be hoisting annother shell into place as though the round had been ejecting and it would be a much messier malf ;-)

just thought I would update...

took it back to the store I got it from and the "gunsmith" realizes it wont run because a part is missing. It is a metal collar looking piece that sits in the stock near the end of the magazine tube. Either way, he had to fit it into the stock, as the previous owner had done some "stockwork" and it no longer fit. After he fit it in the stock and reassembled, all appears to be well for now.

Thanks everyone for their help.

I guess it is time for me to find a parts schematic and figure out what all these lil doohickeys are called.

just thought I would update...

took it back to the store I got it from and the "gunsmith" realizes it wont run because a part is missing. It is a metal collar looking piece that sits in the stock near the end of the magazine tube. Either way, he had to fit it into the stock, as the previous owner had done some "stockwork" and it no longer fit. After he fit it in the stock and reassembled, all appears to be well for now.

Thanks everyone for their help.

I guess it is time for me to find a parts schematic and figure out what all these lil doohickeys are called.

Go to http://www.remington.com/ to see the proper parts. The 11-87 added a part that goes around the mag tube before the forearm goes on, #45a gas cyclinder collar. but is not there on the older model 1100. Write Remington an email and I am sure they will send you a copy of the manual.

I have shot an 1100 for the last 25yrs. One thing is for sure about an 1100, you can't use the real light stuff and expect it to cycle. It will turn into a single shot everytime. Keep is clean, replace the O-ring yearly.

Flyin40

Missed the post about the missing piece. Glad you got it working.

Edited by Flyin40

If you don't get spare oversize bolt handles, make sure you paint the one you have Blaze Orange. It will make it easier to find when it flys off.

That's what Kurt is smilin' about ;-)

If you don't get spare oversize bolt handles, make sure you paint the one you have Blaze Orange. It will make it easier to find when it flys off.

That's what Kurt is smilin' about ;-)

Wow! Been shooting the same 1100 for 20 years and have never had that happen to me? It is also the first I have heard of that problem?

Neal in AZ

It happens sometimes on ones that have a loose fit. Luck of the draw thang!

That would make sense. I guess I was lucky when I bought my old 1100 from a skeet shooter 20 years ago. I have been shooting it and haven't had the problems that many report with the Remingtons. Thanks for the reply.

Neal in AZ