Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vihtavuori

Tangram

Very new at this reloading business. I've got some 9mm Rainer 115 g round nose bullets and loading info for Vihtavuori N340. Soon I will have a refurbished Square Deal B set up.

I am interested in opinions on whether Vihtavuori powers are worth their premium price and how well N340 meters in a Square Deal B.

Thanks

Everyone thinks I'm an idiot (at our club) because I like N-350 over 7625.

I've burned a lot of 3N37, some WW540 and 7625 and always come back to N-350.

It's what I like and that is all it is. :D

Keep in mind I don't get to shoot enough for powder prices to effect my economy. :(

If you like N-340 but think it is too expensive try ther try the powders close to that burn rate on the chart. I would like to try N-340 in my open gun but don't have time to fiddle with it.

Back to work!

FM

Vitavhouri powders are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned. As much money as I have wasted on crap parts or gizmos I can justify the couple extra bucks for good powder.

It will meter just fine through your Dillon powder measure. The only thing that I know wont is a light charge of CLAYS....under 3.0 will be very erratic.

If you havent bought the 340 I would recommend 330 to try first. 340 will work just fine though.....

Good luck,

DougC

I have seen on different forums that a lot of people like loading 330 with 9x19 with great results. I have load data from Bob Marvel for a 50yd accuracy load with 330 that I have loaded up, waiting for my 6in 9x19 blaster to get from the smith.....argh!

I think there are some loads on Glocktalk for 330 somewhere as well. That is all I know right now...... :wacko:

DougC

Please tell me more about your thinking on 330.

I am very happy with my VV N330 load in my 9x19 STInger. 5.0 grains under a 115 grain JHP gets me ~1000 FPS with enough gasses to work the comp.

Caveat: This is a steel load and does not make MINOR in the STInger's short barrel.

-Chet

Edited by DJPoLo

• 2 months later...

Stick with the VV powders. Not only are they very consistant metering, they are also less temp sensitive. 7625 is very inconsistant depending on the temp. I use nothing but VV powder for reloading 9mm, 38 spec., 38 super comp, 40 S&W and 45 ACP. When I first started shooting and reloading a friend told me to use VV powder and I would have very consistant ammo. There are enough things in this game that we can't control to have problems with the things we can. The price difference is a minute price to pay to eliminate problems.

I've been loading VV N330 in 9 x 19 for my daughter for 8 years. About 20 pounds so far, with 115, 125 and 147 grain bullets. She shoots a Glock 34 in Open (minor) and a G17 in Limited. 5 grains of N330, 125 grain Zero JHP, WSP or Rem 1 1/2 primers, loaded to 1.130. PF is about a 143. I load it a little warm because she has small hands and when she shoots weekhand she has a tendency to limpwrist.

The 300 series of Vihtavouri powders are all, as far as I have seen and read, extruded tubular/granular powders with a generous graphite coating. They have all metered very well for me. I have literally been "good to the last drop" - proper charge weight even w/ an empty reservior, down to the last partial charge dropped afterwards and then empty. Now THAT is consistency... :D

• 10 months later...

I've used VVN320 for many years; 45 ACP

Meters Well

Burns Clean

Great Accuracy

Spend the extra bucks. It's worth it!

I've used VVN320 for many years; 45 ACP

Meters Well

Burns Clean

Great Accuracy

Spend the extra bucks. It's worth it!

They are excellent powders. So are lots of others made by Hodgdon, Winchester, Ramshot, etc. I have used N350, 3N37, and N320 but have found other less expensive substitutes for all of them that meter and shoot just as well. I no longer use any VV powders. I made this decision based on the limited availability verse other equivalent choices. As a beginner, the best way to learn is to try lots of different powders within a given burn rate region for the caliber that you are loading. When you have answered this question for yourself based on real data, you will no longer be a beginner :)

I load N340 w 115 or 124 in 9x19 and get low variability on chrono with it. My loads are just under 100% of the available volume after seating the 124 gr bullet. I think this helps give consistent velocity. Clean burning too. Meters great in the 550B. I don't load 9mm to save money. I'm fine with a few extra bucks for good quality.

Edited by Mr Glack

I know a lot of guys I shoot IDPA with that use the Viht. I use Hodgdons Titegroup. I am newer to reloading so I havent tried a ton of diffrent things. However, I chrono'd loads I worked up with the titegroup and noticed about a 20 fps variance between the same load.

Anyone have an opinion on the Titegroup? I reload .40sw, xtreme TMJ bullets, 155gr./165gr (whatever I can find a good deal on), 1.125 OAL, with about a .420 crimp.

Just curious if I am wasting my time with Titegroup or if it is as good as any. Seems fine to me. I started using it because the reloader I buy from who cranks out over a million rounds a year uses it for most everything.

Any opinions?

Welcome to the forums, SacM5.

Titegroup is a fine powder used by a lot of folks. It's quite versatile, as your friend's use might show.

If you are loading to major PF with a light 10mm bullet, a spread of 20fps between the high and low on a string of shots is doing quite nicely, I should think.

Some say Titegroup is smoky, but that may be mainly in comparison to extremely clean powders like the Viht series, and also depends on the bullet type used (jacketed/plated producing little or no smoke, a bit more for the coated bullets and the most with traditionally lubed cast or swaged lead).

Some say Titegroup is smoky, but that may be mainly in comparison to extremely clean powders like the Viht series, and also depends on the bullet type used (jacketed/plated producing little or no smoke, a bit more for the coated bullets and the most with traditionally lubed cast or swaged lead).

700+ rounds so far out of my first lb. of TG with 115g cast lead bullets, and heavy smoke doesn't say quite enough. Suffice it to say that outdoors with a stiff breeze is a better place than indoor ranges. I have also had a problem with consistency wih my new 550b and this. A lot of my lighter loads zip right through, then some don't produce enough force to cycle the slide fully, causing nasty stovepipes. I will have to invest in an eliminator scale, i suppose.

I believe that some VV is in my immediate future, like in tomorrow morning after I shoot off a few hundred more rounds of what I have loaded so far. thanks for sharing the info, folks.

VV N340 is a good choice for 124 and 115gr bullets. I loaded a thousand 124 plated bullets with N340 for my CZ and was pleased with the results. It meters extremely well, is consistent, clean, and doesn't burn too hot. Better shooters than me have also observed that it is a very accurate powder for 9mm.

N-340 also gave good velocities and accuracy in .357 magnum with 140gr lead bullets.

N-320 is my current choice for 124gr FMJ rounds as it has a bit less recoil than N-340 at similar velocities.

Chris

Vitavhouri powders are worth their weight in gold as far as I am concerned. As much money as I have wasted on crap parts or gizmos I can justify the couple extra bucks for good powder.

It will meter just fine through your Dillon powder measure. The only thing that I know wont is a light charge of CLAYS....under 3.0 will be very erratic.

If you havent bought the 340 I would recommend 330 to try first. 340 will work just fine though.....

Good luck,

DougC

I can supply vihtavuori powders at a rate of 1:4

4 pounds of powder to one pound of gold :D

Titegroup is one of the worse powders for cast bullets that I've seen in a while. Great stuff for jacketed orplated, but definitely not plain lead. Universal Clays(based on limited testing compared to the .45) in a .40 or plain old Clays in a .45 are good. I've never loaded enough 9mm to have a clue what works best.

The price difference between VV and most anything else is quite a bit more than a few bucks. Enough that I feel like an idiot anytime I even consider buying it compared to Clays or Titegroup. It simply doesn't do anything special for the price for me.

It does meter well, and I can certainly understand folks who like their VV loads spending the money, but I'd try something else first if I was just starting.