Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springer Xd Like A Glock?

bountyhunter

I have Glocks and like them very much, but a guy handed me an XD with some Canyon Creek work done on it and it was hands down a better trigger than ANY Glock trigger I have ever touched including the most expensive Glock trigger jobs you can find. It was like a REALLY good 1911 trigger with a lot of take-up travel, seriously it was very light, precise and consistent. I didn't have anything good to say about the XD until I shot it, but now I have a different opinion completely. REALLY nice gun.

+2 to what L2S and HSmith said. I recently started shooting an XD in Production and I really like it. It does need trigger work out of the box though. The pull is long and smooth, but the reset is HUGE.

The only bummer is that Springfield doesn't sell parts for it (major bummer). So don't even try to do your own trigger job. Send it to Rich or L2S.

Loves2Shoot did the trigger job on my XD9 Service model. My son has a Glock 35 with the Ralph Sotelo(I may not have spelled his last name right) trigger kit in it. The XD trigger is alot nicer in my opinion.

Maybe we could sweet talk Mr Sotelo into making a similar kit for the XD?

I have the G35 kit in mine and it is terrific.

Not much like a Glock at all. You can put a 1911 like trigger on them. Rich at Canyon Creek and myself can deliver a 2-3 lb trigger that are really nice that have full striking power. No worries about light hits.

Can you give me some details on this?

1) What kind of cost/time are we talking about for getting this trigger setup?

2) Any chance you or somebody else is offering a drop-in kit? Seems to be all the rage these days, even Mr Vanek is doing it.

Not that I fancy myself a master gunsmith, it just really irks me to have to shell out $65 to FedEx overnight a gun anytime I want to ship it.

The only bummer is that Springfield doesn't sell parts for it (major bummer). So don't even try to do your own trigger job.

That's insane, sometimes I wonder what is wrong with idiots like that.

Any aftermarket sites like Glockmeister for the XD? It seems to be getting to be a popular pistol.

I've shot bunches of Glocks in the past and the main reason I stopped shooting them was because the grip angle is so different from the "real" gun I shoot, my STI. Swapping back and forth was just beating me up.

Bought an XD9, duty model and enjoyed it. Traded it in for an XD40 Tactical model, which I'm just now putting through its paces. I think the only change I'll make to it will be a pair of Hienie sights and that's about it. Trigger's fine - a much cleaner break than what you'll get from a stock Glock and they wear in and smooth out pretty well. After only 400 rounds and a bunch of dry firing over the weekend, mine is signifigantly smoother than it was out of the box.

The only bummer is that Springfield doesn't sell parts for it (major bummer). So don't even try to do your own trigger job. Send it to Rich or L2S.

They seriously don't sell parts for the XD?

They due sell some parts.But like trigger bar and sear parts forget it.

Rich I think gets 135 for a trigger job +Shipping find info here Canyon-creek

I have had him do three for me normal turn around is a week or less :wub:

They are excellent :D

• 4 weeks later...

Is anybody shooting the XD in Limited?

Are mag extensions and/or magwells available?

What after market sights are recommended? Heine rear and Dawson optic in front?

I'm weighing the differences as to a Glock 34 (which I can't seem to find new at the moment).

SMSI,

Limited division is dominated by 40 caliber guns (shooting full power) that hold 18-20 rounds (with legal length mag extensions).

9mm only makes Minor power factor and isn't often considered competitive.

Neither a G34 (9mm, minor) nor an XD in 40 (low capacity) would be the most likely choice for Limited.

A G35 (40) might be a more likely choice for Limited.

The G34 (9mm) is a great gun for Production division. And, the XD in 40 could be on even ground in Limited-10...if that is your preferred platform.

What's with the hold up on the aftermarket high-cap magazines and mag extensions for the XD? I recently ended up buying a Glock 35, which I think is a nice gun, but I much prefer the grip angle of the XD. I bought it to shoot USPSA Limited. <_<

What's with the hold up on the aftermarket high-cap magazines and mag extensions for the XD? I recently ended up buying a Glock 35, which I think is a nice gun, but I much prefer the grip angle of the XD. I bought it to shoot USPSA Limited. <_<

Unfortunately making a Limited gun out of and XD-40 ain't going to happen. The frame and thus the magazine are made for 9mm so you do not get a true double stack in the 40 magazines when loaded. About the best you will ever do is about 16 rounds in a magazine 140 mm long that will still work in the XD-40. That said you can make a real nice L-10 Gun gun out of a XD-40.

mcb

I would think there would still be some call for mag wells, mag extensions, etc for the XD. That would be a good set up for some 3 Gun matches. Also, some people choose to shoot Minor for Limited. I know a mallet-headed ogre who can kick most folks' butt in Limited with a 9mm Glock.

I'm sure it is only a matter of time before we see lots more XD bells and whistles

Oh yeah ... what about sights? What's the latest word on after market XD sights?

Oh yeah ... what about sights? What's the latest word on after market XD sights?
It depends what you are looking for. Dawson makes fixed and adjustable FO and tritiums for the XD, there's Truglo TFO's, Trijicon, Williams FireSights, etc. There are folks that will even install a Bomar rear, if that is what you desire.

Unfortunately making a Limited gun out of and XD-40 ain't going to happen. The frame and thus the magazine are made for 9mm so you do not get a true double stack in the 40 magazines when loaded. About the best you will ever do is about 16 rounds in a magazine 140 mm long that will still work in the XD-40. That said you can make a real nice L-10 Gun gun out of a XD-40.

mcb

I wonder if the XD-45 frame could be modified to accept a .40 cal barrel and higher capacity magazines? :blink:

mcb

I wonder if the XD-45 frame could be modified to accept a .40 cal barrel and higher capacity magazines? :blink:

The problem is the breach face on the slide is to big. You can get away with converting a XD-40 to 9mm will a conversion barrel but there is no way the extractor on the XD-45ACP is going to work with 40S&W. It would take a new slide, barrel and magazines. It's definitely doable but would take a lot of work.

mcb

Edited by mcb

Too bad the factory wasn't working on this. I guess the competition shooters don't make up enough of the market to get Springfield to retool for such a firearm. You would think a super-capacity .40 at the price point of the XD "would sell like hot cakes"...one of the main reasons I bought the Glock 35. Otherwise, I like the trigger and reliability of my Glock.

• 6 months later...

2 theories on this.....Liability, which I dont buy since every other manufacturer does...and then one I think is accurate is that they are selling as many guns as they can make and import, and dont have stores of spare parts to sell, so they are limiting them right now.

Who knows? :huh:

DougC....I still love my XD though....

Springfield is just the distributor for the gun so besides the libility problems there are also problems getting parts from the manufacturer.

If the manufacturer is trying to track failure rates then they are going to want Springfield selling parts to fix someones Dremel job.

Wha company, other than Springfield, makes the gun?

IM Metal of Croatia, who sells it everywhere else in the world as the HS2000. SA's version is different in a few details, like the rail, sights etc.

From the world.guns.ru website:

"The HS2000 pistol has been developed by Croatian IM Metal company for Croatian army during late 1990s. Production of the 9mm HS2000 started in 1999, with the first pistols being delivered to the Croatian army the same year. In 2000 these pistols first appeared in the USA, initially imported under their original name. However, in late 2001 the Springfield Armory Company of Genseo, Illinois, became the sole importer of HS2000 pistols in USA. Springfield offers a slightly improved version of HS2000 as the Springfield XD (eXtreme Duty pistol), and by now these pistols (still made in Croatia) are available in a variety of sizes, calibers and finishes.

After several years of aggressive sales, these pistols gained good reputation and serious following among American shooters, and by now several police departments in USA either issue these pistols on regular basis or approve them for personal purchase by police officers. "

Edited by SouthpawG26