Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Method

Delta Mike

Hello all,

I am looking for feedback from some of the better revolver shooters here. I have been shooting a revolver for about 3 years now, and have attained an expert classification in IDPA in both ESR and SSR classes.

I learned to reload by opening the cylinder, and then transfering the gun to my left hand, and inserting the moon clip (or speedloader in SSR) with my right hand.

After reading a couple of threads on this forum, I decided to try to relosd by keeping my hold on the stock with my right hand, and inserting the moon clip with my left. I have found that this is consistently faster, even though I have only 3 weeks of practice doing it this way, as opposed to 3 years of doing it the other way. ( I have only done this with moonclips, not the comp 3 speedloaders, so I do not know how it works with those...one thing at a time)

I am really excited about this "new" (for me) way of reloading, and I was curious as to how the rest of you guys did it.

Hello Delta Mike, I do not qualify as one of the better revolver shooters, but I have been shooting IPSC Revolver for about five years now and I have found that for me it is better to keep my hand on the stock and load with my left hand. I do not have to re-position my grip after each reload and as long as I am using some type of round nose bullet, usually jacketed, it goes very smoothly. I have watched Jerry M. shoot on TV and in person and he uses his strong hand, but then again he is the best right now. Try it both ways and find whichever you are most comfortable with. I have not tried using speedloaders, only moon clips.

Hope this helps.

Hello Delta Mike, I do not qualify as one of the better revolver shooters, but I have been shooting IPSC Revolver for about five years now and I have found that for me it is better to keep my hand on the stock and load with my left hand. I do not have to re-position my grip after each reload and as long as I am using some type of round nose bullet, usually jacketed, it goes very smoothly. I have watched Jerry M. shoot on TV and in person and he uses his strong hand, but then again he is the best right now. Try it both ways and find whichever you are most comfortable with. I have not tried using speedloaders, only moon clips.

Hope this helps.

I saw that Jerry reloaded with his strong hand, so I assumed that this was the best way to do it, but now I find that I can be faster on a more consistent basis reloading with my left hand. I agree that it is a plus not to re-position my grip after the reload.

Thanks.

DM,

I don't know if I quallify as I'm just a dummy that shoots. ;) but here goes.

I do both, according to direction of movement to help avoid the 180.

IF it doesn't matter I do a strong hand reload similar to Mr. Miculek as that is the one I have practiced more and am faster and more consistant with.

NOW with that said.......

You need to try them both, under pressure and figure out which works for you.

In all this shooting we do, we all (mostly) look to some one else for guidance...which is good! But what is the trick for Joe Shmoe may not do squat for you.....something we all have to learn.

Find what works for you and take it and run.

I have incorporated many techniques from others and tossed other techniques from the same folks......because it did not work for me.....

Just one of them things, try them both....give them both an HONEST try and then decide.

Or you can do like me and practice both and use them both as needed....(I find this quite handy at times).

Hopalong.......

Delta Mike: Either method can be very fast. The "transfer" camp includes the two guys who are presently the fastest wheels in the world, Miculek and Lopez. But anyone who's seen Dietrich or Carden do a "hang-on" reload knows that method can be smoking fast also. Keen uses the transfer method. Walsh switched over to the hang-on method last fall, as far as I know he's stayed with it.

My own experience: I used a version of the transfer reload beginning in 1987, competing mostly in pin and steel matches. Then one day in early 2005, shooting a local USPSA match in Osceola, Iowa, I was running through a stage and realized that I had just done a hang-on reload without even thinking about it. (I had just been shooting a single-stack 1911 a day or two before, and suspect that had something to do with my left hand reflexively reaching for the spare ammo. ) Anyway, right then and there I decided to try the hang-on method. Within two matches (and fairly minimal dry-practice), I was doing dramatically faster reloads than ever before.

I'll never go back to that other way of doing it. I like being able to use comfy rubber Hogues and keep a good solid grip on the gun, and not have to do all that "slip-sliding-away-hand-jive" stuff every six bangs. So my own experience is very similar to yours.

Keep working it, you'll just keep getting faster and faster.

Edited by Carmoney

I switched back to Jerry style. After Area 5, I would get a sick feeling in my gut whenever I tried it 'Dan style'. I'll have to talk about this with my therapist. I still think the gun in the strong hand is faster though.

I started with the "German style" reloads (keeping the gun in the strong hand and am still using it.

Both ways have their specific advantages, IMO

I feel the Miculek way:

- Is easier when reloading on the run, but only when moving forward, or to your strong hand side. When moving to the weak hand side, it can be tricky (180 degrees).

- Is a little more consistent/fast on the first part of the reload (getting the old clip out.

On all other areas, I think the other way is equally good/consistent/fast, or even better.

I like the "German style", but I have seen many variations on it and some work better than others. See what works for you specifically.

Delta Mike, I use the "hand on " method with speed loaders, and moonclips, (not that it counts much) and the big "trick" with speedloaders is to grasp the speedloader by the big round part where the rounds are being held. That way you can see the round go into the chambers. Also cutting them down so that the comp III's don't pull them back out and trigger faster. (There is a thread on cutting them down somewhere in the Revo Forum)

WELCOME Delta Mike!

Looks like everyone has chimed in pretty thoroughly.

I will use either, but tend to fall back to the Miculek Style.

Like Hop said, try both in a "Match" under pressure (at different times of course). Getting plenty of practice before the match.

I've actually found that the Hands On style is more secure in the "Ejection" phase. Using the Switch Hands style I have a tendency to flip the gun too quick and the clip falls right back on the cylinder. But, the Switch Hands style is more secure in the "Throw 'em In" phase. With the Hands On style I feel like I have to guide the rounds in.

The time doesn't seem to be any different for either style for me. When I screw a reload up it is Always due to Trying to go faaaaaaaaaast! See I screwed that up too, LOL.

Seriously practice both, and one will feel better and more natural. Never try to smoke a Reload (wish I could follow my own advice) as that is the way to screw up. Concentrate on SMOOOOOTH, whichever way you do it!

My one true fear of using the Switch Hands style is that one day I will try it in a match with my 1911.

Either way, Good Luck.

Dave

I've just bought a .45acp Taurus revolver here in the UK. I've always shot semi-autos before the handgun ban. The reloading part of revolvers is feeling very weird at the moment. I'm left handed and reload like this,

push cylinder release with my left thumb,

transfer the gun to my right hand,

use my right thumb to open the cylinder,

right forfinger to drop out the fired moonclip

use my left hand to load a fresh moonclip

use my left hand to close the cylinder

and finally transfer the gun back to my left hand.

Does this sound/look right? as it feels real stange after 25 years of semi-autos!!

Used do the strong hand reload, but there was three things I didn't like about it:

1) Having to re-grip after each reload

2) Having to bring the moonclip over the back of the revolver to drop it into the cylinder. Had many moonclips miss or bounce off the cylinder.

3) Having to put the moonclip holders on the same side of the belt as the holster.

Switching to the weak hand reload (as taught to me by D.carden) resolved these issues by:

1) Not having to remove my hand from the grip the whole stage.

2) Shorter distance from moonclip holder to cylinder, without my right hand or any part of the gun in the way. I still drop moonclips every now and then, but not nearly as often.

3) I can place the moonclip holders away from the holster.

This style of reload is a lot smoother and faster for me but as others have wrote, you need to use what works best for you, kinda like grips & sights ;)

Brit....

That sounds about right.

Maybe Tom Mainus will pop in here and tell you how he does it....He's wrong handed too. ;)

HOP

Maybe Dave Hearth will chime in as well, for another lefty view. I know he was able to give my junior lefty shooter a good start for reloading. I can't remember just how my son does it and after beating me in the steel last weekend he's on his own anyway. I am in the switch hands camp, but thats the way I was taught from the start.

Dave Wilson

Hi Mike, I have been using Jerry's method. I would not consider myself a fast reloader at all. I would say during the IRC last year my reloads were around 2.75-3.25. I have been getting better but Dan Carden just kicks my but on the relaods. I have been thinking about using Dan's style reload, I think I will be more consistent.

In the end go with what is most comfortable for you. Good luck!

Delta Mike, I use the "hand on " method with speed loaders, and moonclips, (not that it counts much) and the big "trick" with speedloaders is to grasp the speedloader by the big round part where the rounds are being held. That way you can see the round go into the chambers. Also cutting them down so that the comp III's don't pull them back out and trigger faster. (There is a thread on cutting them down somewhere in the Revo Forum)

Bubber,

I have searched the forum for the thread on cutting down the comp III's, and I can't find it. I am interested in seeing what to cut. Any chance you could explain it to me, or maybe locate the thread? I would appreciate it very much.

DM

Bubber,

I have searched the forum for the thread on cutting down the comp III's, and I can't find it. I am interested in seeing what to cut. Any chance you could explain it to me, or maybe locate the thread? I would appreciate it very much.

DM

COMP III MODS

I added it to the FAQ also

Edited by Round_Gun_Shooter

I've just bought a .45acp Taurus revolver here in the UK. I've always shot semi-autos before the handgun ban. The reloading part of revolvers is feeling very weird at the moment. I'm left handed and reload like this,

The Brti,

I agree with your technique but we differ slighty, I will try to explain:

"...push cylinder release with my left thumb...",

*Yes

"...transfer the gun to my right hand...",

*Yes

"...use my right thumb to open the cylinder...",

*Yes. This is where one can get burned by the barrel. So, either tape your right thumb or live with the pain. I choose to tape my thumb.

"...right forfinger to drop out the fired moonclip...",

*Yes

"...use my left hand to load a fresh moonclip..."

*Yes

..."use my left hand to close the cylinder...",

*This is the point where we differ. At the point I drop the "Hearthco" moonclip into the gun with my left hand, immediately I am going for the transfer back to my left hand and closing the cylinder with my right middle finger. (I kind of use a rolling/flicking/cradling motion between pressing the ejector rod with my right index finger and closing the cylinder with my right middle finger) This way I can establish my left hand grip and finger position on the trigger while closing the cylinder and rising the sight/optics back on target and establish my right support hand.

"...and finally transfer the gun back tomy left hand."

I find this way to be a better use of two hands and economy of motion for me. I can get the "last shot-reload-first shot down" to about 1.5-1.7s at times but usually I am in the 2.0-2.20's. This depends on how the clips fall. Sometimes I have to help a clip into the dirty cylinder which slows me down. (I use the Rem .38 super brass with Hearthco clips)

I hope that makes sense to the Lefty's.

Renny

Hi Mike, I have been using Jerry's method. I would not consider myself a fast reloader at all. I would say during the IRC last year my reloads were around 2.75-3.25. I have been getting better but Dan Carden just kicks my but on the relaods. I have been thinking about using Dan's style reload, I think I will be more consistent.

In the end go with what is most comfortable for you. Good luck!

John, I've watched the video of you on that classifer last weekend so many times now, I can feel your pain with the reloads...you sat there perfectily focused, you were standing up and drawing before the buzzer finished and the shots were just a blur, you can bearly see the rounds get ejected and then the hand switch and the fumbled reload. But I gotta add, it was a fantastic recovery on the reload and you still went on to finish the stage and kick butt...some day if you ever start doing a Dan reload, I think the open bottom feeders will start to tremble...

I'll bring your copy of the video with me tomorrow.

michaels

Ha !!!!

you guys are going to give dan the unearned big head! ;)

He's already getting too much like Carmoney now!!!! :o:o:o

Now tone it down on the DAN style stuff......We all know he has no STYLE !!! :lol::lol::lol:

Hopalong

I use the "Left Hand" reload 90% of the time. The "Strong Hand" reload can be faster when you have to reach for a moon that's on a table (like in the Classifier "Mini-mart") because this allows you to use both hands for two different tasks (your left hand empties the spent moon and holds the gun, the right hand reaches for the moon and inserts it).

For speed loaders I feel you have to insert the speed loader with your right hand, the left hand has to hold the cylinder so it won't rotate when you line the bullets up with the chambers and trigger the speed loader.

With moon clips you want to release the moon just before it contacts the cylinder. The moon will kind of "find it's own way" into the chambers if you do it right. Attempting to mash or control the moon clip with your hand will only slow the reload down. This is the reason why I prefer to use the "Left Hand" reload. I have a better view of the cylinder to throw the moon at it. When I use the "Right Hand" reload my right hand blocks my view and I tend to still be holding the moon when it hits the cylinder, thus slowing the reload.

There was a poll some ways back about the different reload techniques, do a search to find it.

Hi guys, I have been away for the week. Just started 8 weeks of traveling to Muscatine Iowa trimming out an apartment building we built there. Here is my take on the topic.

I am left handed and reload switching hands. Here is how I do it, I like it and it seems to work for me, it feels pretty fast.

1. Open cylinder with left thumb. I use an oversize release custom built by my new gunsmith :wub:

2.Transfer gun to weak hand, open cylinder with right thumb, gun is now in the web of my right hand between thumb and first finger( I wear a baseball batting glove on my right hand 'cause I burn the web of my hand on the forcing cone.)

3. Eject moon clip with right index finger. Gun is almost pointed to the sky for this.

4. Reload with left hand.

5. Regrip gun with strong hand, start to bring gun back up on target, close cylinder with right hand, by the time you close the cylinder you should be getting the next sight picture.

I have shot stages that for whatever reason required me to shoot weak hand and do a re-load. When I did the reload I automatically did the "Dan" style without even thinking about it. I would think for rightys that would be the best but what do I know. I have to go now, there is a package on my front porch from some guy named Lee from Claifornia, I think he works on guns, I hear he's good with a revolver . :D

2.Transfer gun to weak hand, open cylinder with right thumb, gun is now in the web of my right hand between thumb and first finger (I wear a special glove on my right hand 'cause I burn the web of my hand on the forcing cone.)

mainusglove.jpg