Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rear Sights For 625

Tom Mainus

What kind of rear sights is everyone using on their 625's? I have been going back and forth between factorys and my ghost rings lately. I think the ghost rings are slowing me down by focusing to much on really lining them up before pulling the trigger. Is everyone just using factorys or what is the hot set up?

Tom

After several BE members suggested Milletts, that's what I put on my new 625 just before I sent it off to Randy. So I didn't get a chance to try them out. Yet. I think I will like them, though. They worked great for the little bit of dryfiring I got to do before I shipped it out! But then I almost always shoot A's when dryfiring. :rolleyes:

Randy Lee has LPA sights for revolvers. I have one on my 625 and am very pleased with it. I had a Millet on it before. Randy is working on a wider deeper notch blade for it which I think will make it even better. Here is a pic. Chris

IMG_1763.jpg

Edited by festus1

Funny this should come up !! I was about to post the same thing.

I have the Weigand (replacment blade), like the crispness of it, it's a machined

piece (or at least looks that way) I'm worried about it's usable life, the one I have

rattles around a lot in the sight leaf.

I have the Millet, which is not so crisp as the serations are molded in and its "dull"

looking wether it's a WO or black. But it is a well built-last a lifetime sight.

Seen the LPA unit, nice rear blade, but ! to me the blade is too wide for it's height,

looks like it came off a Wather OSP bullseye gun. Great for slow fire Bullseye but

I'm not conviced it's the best way to go for speed.

I've only seen the Bowen Rough country on the web and that one doesn't show any

serations (which are a must for our work IMO)

So here's a question, anyone know the serration specs on the Millet ? I'm thinking taking

a checkering file of the right spacing, clean up the face so it's good and sharp. Then if I

want I could mill in a shallow spot dead center of the notch and fill it with white paint ??

Be like a bar/dot site ?? They do take blueing chem's.

And also, for all you folks that use something different (Euro/Italian shooters ??) can you

post a link or a pick of some other brands ??

Then maybe we can sticky this thread for the hoards of new revo shooters :D

I use the factory rear, I've gotten used to it over the years. I may try the Millet one of these days. I bought one a while back but I ordered the really shallow notch and didn't like it. Next time I'll get a deeper notch.

Dave, have you tried using a carbide lamp on the Millet? A good application of carbide smoke will make snow not have any glare, let alone a rear sight.

Jerry had a fistfull of the Bowen Rough Country rear sights at the Nationals. I didn't take a real close look at one but they seemed nice. Nice and expensive (@ $100). The lack of serrations isn't an issue for me after I smoke the sights.

Randy Lee has LPA sights for revolvers. I have one on my 625 and am very pleased with it. I had a Millet on it before. Randy is working on a wider deeper notch blade for it which I think will make it even better. Here is a pic. Chris

Is that Randy's rear on that picture ??

(now that sentence sounds just so wrong I had to leave it :huh: )

But really, the blade shown looks way taller than the 2 LPA sights I've seen.

Dave, have you tried using a carbide lamp on the Millet? A good application of carbide smoke will make snow not have any glare, let alone a rear sight.

Jerry had a fistfull of the Bowen Rough Country rear sights at the Nationals. I didn't take a real close look at one but they seemed nice. Nice and expensive (@ $100). The lack of serrations isn't an issue for me after I smoke the sights.

I like the white post/outline of the Millets so the lamp wouldn't work too well for that.

Ya know ?? I think I have a lam and a quart of carbide someplace at home, wonder if it's

any good ?

Yes the Rough Country is pricey, but looks to be built well.

Dave, That is a stock LPA sight that Randy put on. The notch is quite narrow and not very deep. For close targets it is great but for longer distances I would like to be able to see some daylight on the sides of the front sight. The front is .125 wide and the fiber op dot fills up the notch. I have a .100 wide fiber optic on a 1911 and that width coupled with the longer sight radius gives a great sight picture - plenty of light on the sides of the front sight. I think that the blade that Randy is working on will be a big improvement. Here is a pic of the rear of the LPA.

IMG_1839.jpg

Edited by festus1

Dave, That is a stock LPA sight that Randy put on. The notch is quite narrow and not very deep. For close targets it is great but for longer distances I would like to be able to see some daylight on the sides of the front sight. The front is .125 wide and the fiber op dot fills up the notch. I have a .100 wide fiber optic on a 1911 and that width coupled with the longer sight radius gives a great sight picture - plenty of light on the sides of the front sight. I think that the blade that Randy is working on will be a big improvement. Here is a pic of the rear of the LPA.

IMG_1839.jpg

Yup, that's the blade I've seen. And my front sight looks all fuzzy like that too :D

It's me I know it is but I don't like seeing that area under the sight, it's aluminum and

silver in color and it just throws me off. And I agree on the notch but that should be an

easy fix.

Nice pic too, show's the "blackness" of the blade, not the "silvery-black" like a Millet.

And ya know what, if I was reading this like you others are I'be thinking

"Jeez..there's no pleasing this guy" :lol:

I'm a big fan of the plain black .360" Millett rear sight. I used them to pretty good effect back during my pin-shooting days, which is a sport where you have to actually aim the gun. ;)

I don't like white outlines, or any other gimmickry of any kind, on rear sights. Don't want my focus on anything but the front blade.

I don't like the Weigand blade. Good idea, not a great execution. Make it out of steel, make it actuall fit half-decently without all the wiggle-waggle....then we can talk.

I see no need for the super-expensive custom import stuff.

I'm convinced there is no weak link in the Millett design. And as far as the point that it turns sorta "silvery", I guess I kind of agree, but then again I don't want my visual focus on a nice crisp black rear blade anyway, I want my focus on the front sight..... ;)

I liked the white outline factory rears, then I wore the paint off and tried to touch them up with some lime green craft paint my wife had. What a mess! I really liked it so I did the same thing to the new white outline sight on the "B" gun.

That's the ticket, red FO on the front and lime green on the back, when I get the funny feeling in my stomach I pull the trigger. :lol:

Edited by Waltermitty

I'm running Weigands on two guns and agree the fit is horrible. One flopped back and forth so bad I was concerned about both my consistency and its life. This week I shimmed it using low pressure duct tape and it seems to be okay now. I'm testing it at the ICORE match in Thibodaux this weekend.

The tape is not your run of the mill duct tape. It is silver foil with a sticky back. Shame you have to do this to such an expensive part. If it doesn't hold up my next step is a set of Millets covered with black Teflon. Unless I see another alternative is the meantime. B)

I'm a big fan of the plain black .360" Millett rear sight. I used them to pretty good effect back during my pin-shooting days, which is a sport where you have to actually aim the gun. ;)

I don't like white outlines, or any other gimmickry of any kind, on rear sights. Don't want my focus on anything but the front blade.

I don't like the Weigand blade. Good idea, not a great execution. Make it out of steel, make it actuall fit half-decently without all the wiggle-waggle....then we can talk.

I see no need for the super-expensive custom import stuff.

I'm convinced there is no weak link in the Millett design. And as far as the point that it turns sorta "silvery", I guess I kind of agree, but then again I don't want my visual focus on a nice crisp black rear blade anyway, I want my focus on the front sight..... ;)

The Millett is not bad, but I have seen some problems. The dimension on their front securing screw chamfer is too deep. Had several people install them and not check the clearance between the screw and the underside of the topstrap. Damage to 10 cylinders in 2005- one in the shop now. I've had 3 instances where the brass swage that Millett uses to secure the elevation/windage spring and plunger in the W/E drums break free and end up wrapping the spring around the drums. The elevation drum is shallower than the factory version and limits the lowering of the rear sight rather than the frame limiting the travel.

The LPA sight isn't much more expensive than the Millett(maybe $20.00 difference), and Jay Hard of PSI(US distributor) and I are working to get a sight leaf better suited to our needs.

Sorry Mike, just my experience... I'm not trying to be argumentative.

The Millett is not bad, but I have seen some problems. The dimension on their front securing screw chamfer is too deep. Had several people install them and not check the clearance between the screw and the underside of the topstrap. Damage to 10 cylinders in 2005- one in the shop now.

Yeah Randy, I've seen this one too. It's not a new problem--I remember installing one years ago and the screw came right down on the non-fluted part of the cylinder and locked the gun up tighter'n a dang drum. Easy fix, but it sure seems like they should be sending them with a slightly shorter screw. Now I always check to make sure the screw's not coming through too far. Just put a new Millett on my back-up 625, and it was fine, so maybe they fixed it.

Boy, those Milletts on my old pin guns have taken a hell of a pounding over the years, though, and they're all holding up just fine. The Millett on the 25-2 that Sam shoots now was installed back in the late '80s. Of course, I tend to get them dialed in to the load and then leave them alone....which is easier on the product than regularly cranking them back and forth and up and down.....

I don't know why you guys are opening up the rear sight?

I understand the "being able to see through them" as that is VERY important to me also. But why not thin the front sight. It will make you more accurate than with a bigger notch and fat front sight.

And yes you can see the thin front sight when shooting "fast"....at least I can.

But I'm not very fast........or good. <_<

Hopalong........see my signature lines, ;)

OOPS.......Let one of the GREAT secrets out of the bag O tricks. ;)

REALLY

I have finally figured this stuff out.

Put the sights on the target, line them up correctly and manipulate the firing mechanism until all targets are shot the correct number of times or are down. AND do a reliable, efficient reload as needed. While efficiently manuvering through the course!

NOTHING TO IT!!!! :)

HOPALONG

Edit to add..........Randy, Mine are already there. ;)

Edited by hopalong

I don't know why you guys are opening up the rear sight?

I understand the "being able to see through them" as that is VERY important to me also. But why not thin the front sight. It will make you more accurate than with a bigger notch and fat front sight.

Hopalong........see my signature lines, ;)

Two reasons why I open the rear sight with a file:

1: It's easier than thinning the front. ;)

2: Someday you all will get old and need a really big front sight just so you can see it too. :blink: