Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Digital Scale Recommendation Please.

So its time to replace my little Lee scale. I would like to get a more reliable and accurate scale. I'm looking for a good digital scale that does not break the bank. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

mcb

Dillon again. My first one died after a few years and they replaced it for free. Can't beat that. This ones been working fine for two years now and I find it very accurate and much faster to use than a ballance scale.

I like my digital scale, except that you have to calibrate it whenever you turn it on. Takes half a minute or so. But I took it over to a friend's house and compared its readings with his balance beam scale, and mine varied by .1 to .2 grains.

After two years I'm still very happy with my Dillon scale. I had to learn how to best use it however and at first I wasn't all that pleased.

(Mine) works best on the AC adapter over using battery power and also doesn't shut down every 30 seconds that way as well. I leave it on for at least 15 minutes to stabalize before I calibrate it and I know that my pan weighs exactly 161.2 grains and I rezero on the pan any time the scale doesn't return to - 161.2 with out it. It does tend to drift .1 or .2 grains if not used for ten minutes or more so I do have to rezero on occasion.

As long as I stick to the program it works great.

I still use the beam balance to dribble rifle charges.

I had a scale go bad. Sent it back to Dillon and was told the reason for the failure was I had left batterys in while plugged into AC current. FYI to all. I was not given a new one but did get a replacement at a small discount.

AlamoShooter has not yet replied to the question as to why he didn't like the Digital Scale. I have the same feelings about them as he apparently does. My experience was with the PACT and I didn't like having to continuously zero it, having it "turn off" during reloading sessions and I felt particularly stupid as I was verifying its accuracy with my balance beam scale (B4 I read some of these posts I thought I was the only one doing it).

Why on earth do I want something that costs more, is more difficult and time consuming to use and which I have to verify with the cheaper tool I already have?

I sold it at a small loss and was happy to get back to my balance beam.

In the interests of full disclosure, I am mechanically challenged and kinda old and, I suppose, set in my ways. I still like the balance beam-just verify zero when I start, set the weight and check the charge. Simple and easy.

Bob ;)

If I had to do it all over again, I would skip this one....

Lbbk.gif

PACT BBK

It's been back to the factory once, and still looses it's mind every other time I use it.

I keep reaching for my old analog scale.

Edited by Derek45

Why on earth do I want something that costs more, is more difficult and time consuming to use and which I have to verify with the cheaper tool I already have?

I find the opposite to be true. I've never really had to zero my Dillon out at all. The worst it's been (if it's off at all) is about .01 grams. It's nice to be able to dump a charge into the bowl and get a reading in a second.

I have the analog Dillon also and it isn't as accurate. 9.0 could be 8.9 to 9.1 grains. If I were to go strictly with an analog, it would be one of those expensive ones that are absolutely accurate.

I tried a digital scale ...and I did not like it

Interesting. Why?

What about it did not appeal to you?

-Chet

I had in my origional post, but it was long. = Ok I mesured out and seperated 100 long range 223 -75gr AMax bullets for shooting 700 to 1000 yards. = put them in lots of .25 gr over 75 and 74 gr 75.5 74.5 some went over 75.5 and some went under 74

In order to make a good test of the rifle / bullet and skill.

I had the scale on a good desk and out of the AC vent. The Digital scale was slower than the balance beam scale and it had 25% to 35% error when I went back and checked each group of bullets with the "old Scale" It =the digital scale was off by up to .5 and .75 grain

And the final groups had too much shooter error to tell any group size change.

So I figure if it is slower and not as good as a good Beam Scale = why spend the extra $$ Cash.?

Jamie ---? <_<

Edited by AlamoShooter

Digital scales rock all over balance beams due to the 'tare' button. They do usually drift 0.1 grain or so, but that's easily corrected for using the BE-powder-measurement plan.

:huh: Are you making fun of me and I am too slow to pick up on it? :huh:

:blink: 'tare' button? :blink::unsure: A tenth of a grain seamed like alot to me :unsure: ? I just wish I could keep silent

The Tare button zeros the scale at whatever's put on it.

Normally you put the empty pan on it and hit 'Tare', then dump stuff into the pan to measure it and then dump it back out when you're done. But, you can also do things like Tare an empty, primed case, put powder in it and move it right from the press to the scale and get the powder weight. Repeat as needed.

Thought you made a squib? Tare a known-good case and throw the others on the pan one at a time. Pull any that read significantly less than zero.