Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Ruining Brass?

Dusty

I am not that familiar with Glocks so I figured I'd ask you guys. I have always heard that Glocks ruin brass so it isn't any good for reloading. Is this True? What is the deal?

Thanks

Dusty,

The Glock will make your brass a little funny. You will need to roll-size it if you want to reload it. Once you shoot it in a different gun, you can process normally, without necessarily roll-sizing.

The brass is definitely not ruined. Wakal and I have a bunch of .40 reloads with previously Glocked brass.

Liota

You can roll size it or use a EGW "U" sizing die.

Half the brass I use has been "glocked", and once I use the "U" die, it's all good to go.

I wouldn't expecially want to keep using that brass in a stock glock since I'd think you'd be working the hell out of the brass, but in my Para and Glock with KKM barrel I don't worry about it.

Just buy a new Glock and it will be fine. The new guns seem to have tighter chambers. I can detect no guppy bellying from any of the Glocks I've purchased recently. Read the reloading FAQ's and you'll find a wealth of info about resizing Glock brass. Personally, I regard it as a non-problem anymore. The only time I think about it is when I read about it on the internet. ;)

You'll like the new Glocks too. Glock keeps making subtle changes and the new ones are really refined guns compared to what first hit the market.

It will ruin your brass.. but since I'm a helpful recycling Oregonion, just send it to me. I'll make sure it's recycled and not impact the environment

:)

After many, many k's of reloading for 9 and 40 glock, I use the "u" die and one shot lube and it's all good.

Edited by Trey

My 1 month old G35 definitely "glocks" the brass. Maybe not as much as earlier Glocks, but this is my first and I have nothing to compare it to. The KKM barrel solved that problem.

Refined in what ways....

Just about everything. The triggers are better, mag releases have been redesigned for more clearance with the frame (diff part #), no more peeling plating, better chambers, *noticably* improved injection molding. I'm sure there's more that I'm missing.

Best of all the mags got cheaper. What's not to like about a gun that uses reliable $16 (or less) mags. Bugger up a mag? Chuck it. Who cares at that price? If anyone is going to challenge King Glock for market dominance, they'd better clue in and make sure that the market is filled with TONS of reliable $15 magazines.

The only thing left to fix is those goofy spring cups.

I use Glock brass regularly in an STI. The key is a full length sizing die in your press, no bid deal, lots of people reload it. I have never had one fail the case guage forward or backward in the last 50K rounds.

Edited by fomeister

Pretty much the same comments as JFD, I have seen worse stuff in bulk once fired brass ( Glock ) than what came out of my G35. But, the KKM barrel went in just to be sure.

IMHO this problem with huge chambers and buldged brass has been limited to 40 S&W only.

The 45ACP and 9MM seem to come out of Glocks looking pretty much the same as any other gun except for the primers ( Glock strikers leave a distinctive mark ).

The EGW U die fixes the problem nicely.

IMHO Glock 40 brass is not completely ruined, just a little stressed.

Travis F.

I purchased one of the EGW dies a few weeks ago. I would have 4-6 rounds per hundred that would not pass a case gauge. Running them through a Lee FCD did not help. The EGW die cured the problem, but left the loaded round with an hour glass shape. I bought a regular Lee .40 die. The hour glass shape went away. I have loaded about 1,000 rounds with the standard Lee die. None have failed the case gauge.

I am not sure the undersized die is really needed.

I purchased one of the EGW dies a few weeks ago. I would have 4-6 rounds per hundred that would not pass a case gauge. Running them through a Lee FCD did not help. The EGW die cured the problem, but left the loaded round with an hour glass shape. I bought a regular Lee .40 die. The hour glass shape went away. I have loaded about 1,000 rounds with the standard Lee die. None have failed the case gauge.

I am not sure the undersized die is really needed.

If you have a factory glock barrel I would agree, but with an aftermarket barrel like kkm, you definately want a U die or Factory crimp. KKm barrels have a tighter chamber. I barrel check my ammo and sometimes I will get rounds that will not barrel check even using the U die, those rounds get shot through my para which will shoot anything.

As far as the brass, alot of times we are reloading and have no clue what gun or how many guns the brass has been fired through. Just inspect the brass carefully, and play it safe.

I'm shooting a 3rd gen G21 and I haven't seen the infamous Glock bulge. Maybe it's on higher pressure rounds than 45acp. The stuff I'm currently loading is 230gr lrn Precision Moly over 4.4gr Clays with Rem primers. No issues of any type noted. I'm using a 550B and full length size my brass too.

• 3 weeks later...