Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Parents Who Won't Parent

bierman

Sitting at a fast food place tonight trying to have dinner with the family. In walks a man and his son, little boy is about 6-7. Kid is screaming and yelling the whole time dad is ordering. Kid grabs soda cup from dad and proceeds to soda machine where he spills entire soda on the floor. Dad never says a word to the kid or apologizes to the folks at the store. They then proceed to sit and eat. No problem until little Timmy decides to come stand right next to my table and stare at my 9 year old daughter. I try to engage him in conversation, but he ignores me and continues to stare. My wife knows that I am not happy with the kid, but she is giving me the look that says "calm down, please don't twist off his head" so I don't. Dad is sitting at his table quietly calling the kid, who also ignores dad. My wife finally is able to get through to the little guy and he walks back to his table for about 20 seconds. He comes back and starts staring again. Dad finally gets up to come get him and the kid runs around the table from dad. Dad sits back down and allows the kid to continue to run wild through the restaurant. Maybe it was just because I am sick and have been coughing up my lungs all day, but I was ready to bodily remove both the dad and the kid from the place so we could eat in peace. As we are leaving I ask my daughter "What would happen to you if you behaved that way?" "Oh, you'd kill me Dad." was her response. I just don't understand folks that allow their kids to run over them and refuse to discipline them.

I feel your pain.

I was raised right and I'm raising my daughter right.

I just wish a law would be passed clarifying who to beat the hell out of in these situations.

(Of course, you never know...maybe his wife died tonight.)

Is this debate? From an Admin? In a hate forum post? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You never know about the given situation... I try to cut people some slack. I don't have kids, personally, so I can't speak for my own parenting skills, and I try to recognize that I don't necessarily know what's best for other people's kids... I do see a lot of what I'd call "way too tolerant" parenting... Kids will be kids, but at some point, you might expect the parent to notice what the kid is doing, and do something about it, ya know? I don't think that's so much to ask for, in the end...

My nieces and nephews are all very well behaved, and the vast majority of my friends' kids are that way, too. They have a wide variety of parenting styles between them - but they all seem to take responsibility for their kids, and take their role as parent - and leader - seriously, it seems to me.

My wife and I had a particularly memorable run in with non-parents and their offspring at Disneyworld on our honeymoon. We managed to secure a late lunch reservation in the restaurant in Cinderella's Castle one day. While we were there, there was only one other table - a table with 3 couples, and their 5 kids. The whole time we were there, the kids were running around the place, throwing food at one another, throwing food down the A/C return vents, messing up the tables that the restaurant staff had prepared for dinner, etc. On two separate occasions, one of them ran under our table, almost knocking stuff off of it the 2nd time. I told them somewhat loudly to get out from under our table - and got hateful glares from their parents for it. The parents were blissfully unaware of the havoc their kids were spreading around this place, and how much work they were making for the staff, and how much they were disturbing my wife and I. Needless to say, we were rather offended that they didn't do anything about it, even after it became obvious that their kdis were disturbing us by climbing under our table.

So... I'll cut some slack. But I have my limit, too....

Speak up and ask the breeder to control their child/ren.

There's no need to get angry. Let your displeasure and expectations be known immediately, before the rugrat gets under your skin, thereby making you irritable and prone to rashness. If they decide to escalate it beyond controlling your child—i.e. yelling or threatening you—call the police letting them know that you were threatened.

Know that you can't control other people. You can only provide incentive for them to control themselves. This applies to both the breeder and the bred.

When I witness unruly children whos' parents refuse to discipline them I will ask one of my boys, loud enough for the brats and their parents to hear, "What would happen if you were to act like that?" and they answer, loud enough for the brats and their parehts to hear, "I'ld get my rearend spanked." Or I'll ask "Why don't you act that way?" and they'll answer "Because it's rude, discusting behavoir that is not condusive to society."

This usually, at least, gets the brats and their parents away from us.

I totally agree. Now clone that kid (and dad) 25 times and you have my third period class this year. If you thought the short time for dinner was bad try dealing daily. Each year the acceptable behavior for the majority goes down hill and I don't know why. Those parents that expect their kids to behave are becoming the minority.

I was raised in a strict Catholic family with 10 brothers and sisters. When we went to church we took up a whole pew. Everyone commented on how well behaved the children were. All my father would have to do was give us "the look" if we were behaving badly.

I can never remember my father ever touching one of the kids. Didn't need too. Just knowing it was going to happen was enough.

I watched a very large late teen boy misbehaving in a church pew directly in front of my father, this during the sermon. His mother wispered for him to knock it off (no father present). He told his mother in a very loud voice "F**K YOU". My father reached forward and slapped the kid in the mouth. The mother said "thank you" and so did the Father giving the sermon.

This was over 40 years ago. I don't think my father's actions would be tolerated now. I thought it was great fun at the time. I was proud of him :D .

Sad to say, but the parents of those kinds of kids usually don't have a clue themselves...kind of like the parents who let their kids run thru the grocery store parking lot unattended (read any parking lot) and when you inform them that they need to have them by the hand, they swear at you and tell you to mind your own business.. :(

I HATE "free rangers" be they young or old, now I just "GROWL and Show fangs" to mark my territory in public space.

It seems to cause less public hysteria that "spraying" them, but that was comical in my youthfull transgression phase. God I miss the "olden times".

These days it's unfortunate that beating the hell out of anyone is hardly ever tolerated. Too bad....

I can only figure that the "free rangers" parents are so used to this behavior that they never notice it.

That disgusts me even more.

Not a good idea to visit me with kids that act like that. Ejection from the house will occur within 60 seconds.

I was to have tried a bit of "free ranger" activity as a child I imagine I would still not be able to sit down....

I was coming out a supermarket one time and two brats were skatboarding in front of door way and had already knock grocerys out of one ladies arms and never bother to help, just laughed.

I timed my exit so that one of them had a chance to pull same thing on me. As he cruised by I snatched him off his board. He immediately started cursing me. However I had him by the collar bone, whispered in his ear while applying more pressure "you'll be dead before anybody can save you". Then in normal voice said "run along young man your bother people" with one final good crunch on that nerve. They both left with the one rubbing his shoulder as he walked away.

I like that title "free range". If you can't train a dog you shouldn't have kids!

Sitting at a fast food place tonight trying to have dinner with the family. In walks a man and his son, little boy is about 6-7. Kid is screaming and yelling the whole time dad is ordering. Kid grabs soda cup from dad and proceeds to soda machine where he spills entire soda on the floor. Dad never says a word to the kid or apologizes to the folks at the store. They then proceed to sit and eat. No problem until little Timmy decides to come stand right next to my table and stare at my 9 year old daughter. I try to engage him in conversation, but he ignores me and continues to stare. My wife knows that I am not happy with the kid, but she is giving me the look that says "calm down, please don't twist off his head" so I don't. Dad is sitting at his table quietly calling the kid, who also ignores dad. My wife finally is able to get through to the little guy and he walks back to his table for about 20 seconds. He comes back and starts staring again. Dad finally gets up to come get him and the kid runs around the table from dad. Dad sits back down and allows the kid to continue to run wild through the restaurant. Maybe it was just because I am sick and have been coughing up my lungs all day, but I was ready to bodily remove both the dad and the kid from the place so we could eat in peace. As we are leaving I ask my daughter "What would happen to you if you behaved that way?" "Oh, you'd kill me Dad." was her response. I just don't understand folks that allow their kids to run over them and refuse to discipline them.
It's a different era. My wife told me about her psychotic mom who was so vicious the kids were terrified to make a sound..... one cold stare from mom and the kids all burst into tears from sheer terror.

I loved the day at Home Depot where some yuppie couple were wandering around and their obnoxious brat was leaving a path of death and destruction in his wake, alternating between tearing something up and screaming for something.

As they were checking out, the kid was laying on the ground throwing a full blown tantrum over something, pounding his fists into the ground. As his parents are walking out his dad looks back and yells out: "Bye-bye...". The kid suddenly looks up, realizes they are gone and runs out of the store.

I would have strangled him.

Beating the kid might get you in on the news...I'd suggest addressing the parent. ;)

(Of course, you never know...maybe his wife died tonight.)

Only if it's possible to die from embarrassment.

Trust me, it's not.

Free Range children... they drive me nuts..
But they do have the most tender meat. It's just cruel to buy the ones raised in closets.

:lol:

I was hard on my son as was my dad on me. I wish I was old enough to tell my dad, when he passed what a great dad he was. My dad could look at me and I got the clue. As with my son. I could look at him and he new it was Alpha Mike. last year he told me he was glad I was tough on him. Most of his friends are unemployed and or in jail. He is now 25.

Ivan

My wife gets on me for being too hard on my daughter. It is probably because of my job (police) and seeing the kids act like heathens when I am at work. I also do a part time gig at our local high school during the lunch hours (there are 3 of them). Every day that I am there chips away a little more of my faith in the upcoming generation. There are 3750 students at this school and we deal with food fights in the lunch room, flying firecrackers in the hallways and student fights on nearly a daily basis. On the worst day yet, just before Christmas, oops I mean winter break, we recovered 3 guns and a knife in one day and one of the regular school officers deployed his pepper ball gun when they started throwing water and soda bottles at him and the superintendant. Those kids get away with stuff my coaches and teachers would have killed you for when I was in school.