Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For A Vest That Doesn't Make Me Look Like

Chills1994

Every time I put that thing on I always think of John Malkovich's character in the movie Killing Fields. Where's my SLR and my doo-rag?

The vest I have now should have a National Geographic name tag on it. Really!

So I was hoping all of you out there in cyberspace could help me out.

I am looking for something w/ not so much crap hanging off it, less pockets, less straps, and zippers. It was like Mike Jackson designed it. :lol:

Put some blaze orange on it and I'm ready to go pheasant hunting. Just put a rooster in that back pocket.

Two (big) pockets in the front is all I really need.

BTW I did a search for this too. Best thread was back in 2001. I was hoping some better designs have been put out in past 5 years.

Danke,

Chills

Edited by Chills1994

These folks have several styles. Vest I have the tropic in olive and a traditional in navy. It looks like the traditional has increased in price and is being discontinued. Excellent quality and it does not look like your typical "I'm not carrying a gun" vest.

Edited by AikiDale

I have a Columbia Sportwear ROC vest that has a few pockets but nothing too over the top. I could'nt find it on their website, but Columbia changes their line a great deal each season. There were ROC jackets listed just now. I found the ROC vest in at a mall department store.

It's not neccessarly the pockets of vests on the market, it's all the other stuff the manufacturers sew on and hang off them that bothers me. Take the very popular 5.11 vest, way too many add ons, I mean who is going to be carrying water bottles in those back compartments? Four ouside pockets is all a vest needs period.

Take the very popular 5.11 vest, way too many add ons, I mean who is going to be carrying water bottles in those back compartments?
Ummm...I have. I can also testify that the pockets that hold M16 mags don't hold up well when you actually use them to carry loaded M16 mags. I had to hand-sew them to fix the worn-through spots - thank goodness for thimbles!

Oh crap! That is way too funny!

I haven't heard of any stage descriptions that required a shooter to look like a member of the Village People.

"Before engaging T1, you must sing a few lines of YMCA or In The Navy..."

"Young Man!"

These folks have several styles. Vest I have the tropic in olive and a traditional in navy. It looks like the traditional has increased in price and is being discontinued. Excellent quality and it does not look like your typical "I'm not carrying a gun" vest.

I have their Tropical Vest. I really like it, except all those pockets that most put on the outside are on the inside of this one.

Every time I put that thing on I always think of John Malkovich's character in the movie Killing Fields. Where's my SLR and my doo-rag?

The vest I have now should have a National Geographic name tag on it. Really!

So I was hoping all of you out there in cyberspace could help me out.

I am looking for something w/ not so much crap hanging off it, less pockets, less straps, and zippers. It was like Mike Jackson designed it. :lol:

Put some blaze orange on it and I'm ready to go pheasant hunting. Just put a rooster in that back pocket.

Two (big) pockets in the front is all I really need.

BTW I did a search for this too. Best thread was back in 2001. I was hoping some better designs have been put out in past 5 years.

Danke,

Chills

Take a close look at the S&A vest. Two pockets in front, nothing else.

No link. Go to smithandalexander.com

Got one. Like it alot.

Edited by TxD

Take the very popular 5.11 vest, way too many add ons, I mean who is going to be carrying water bottles in those back compartments?
Ummm...I have. I can also testify that the pockets that hold M16 mags don't hold up well when you actually use them to carry loaded M16 mags. I had to hand-sew them to fix the worn-through spots - thank goodness for thimbles!

How did the water bottles not leave your lower back sore and/or bruised? Those pouches are just in a horrible anatomic position.

No cotton canvas fabric, regardless of fabric weight, is going to stand up to the repeated abrasion wear of an AR magazine. One of my favorite college courses consisted of several hours in the textiles testing lab, where we could destroy darn near any natural fabric in short order. You might try lining the bottom of the pouches with some nylon and use some heat set glue to keep it in place.

Bought a 2xl blue jean jacket and cut the sleeves out...perfect...heavy enough to not get caught up with the gun and big enough to cover the weapon.

I did the same thing with a closeout GAP canvas blazer. They were so cheap I bought two, cut the sleeves out of one for warm weather, and left the sleeves on the other one for colder weather. Sure they fit like a potato sack, but it theys were very sporty and non tacti-cool...

Edited by Middle Man

That's some funny stuff!!! Right, Shrek?

I think it would be appropriate to have an IDPA vest with these printed on the back, ya know, for the less tactical savy shooters of the sport:

click this:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...923&hl=tactical

or this:

http://www.petebevin.com/archives/signals.html

Enjoy!

It brought tears to my eyes the first time I saw it. It was that funny.

Welcome to the forums, marinegrunt.

• 5 months later...

29 Hidden Pockets

• patented PAN

• ZIP-PIPs

• Hidden Epaulets

• Hanging Pockets

• Collar Loops• DCC

• Weight Management System

• DeepPockets™

• Bottle Holders

• CollarConnect™

• Magnetic Wind Flap

• Earbud Pockets

• 4 Pen/Stylus Pockets

• Teflon Treated

• Can accomodate Camelbak®

• Coolmax® mesh interior

• Key Holder

• Secret Pocket

• Back Pocket

• Microfleece Lined Pockets

• Microfleece Chin Guard

• Eyeglass Chamois

See Instructions

-See Technical Sketches

-See More Pictures

-Read Press Release

-See Item in Catalogue

a vest with instructions?????????? and a weight mangement system ???? that might come in handy for some of us... :P

go to Cabela's and type in the word vest in the search section...304 results shown..several came up for a vest for your dog....now theres a thought...if your state does not have a CCW law..can your dog carry concealed and not get in trouble?? :huh:

Edited by GmanCdp