Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Government Employees

Ted Murphy

You have no idea how much I agree with you. That has always been a MAJOR problem with Civil Service. You almost have to get into a fist-fight or threaten to kill someone before you get fired. I've seen it for myself.

It's sad because there are hundreds of thousands of Govt employees who are hard working, loyal, come to work and do their jobs without complaint type of people. But there will always be that group who's sole purpose in life is to see how much shnit they can stir up while at work.

:D

There is hope...

Lookup Lab Demo pay scale and the new NSPS personel system on the opm.gov website.

The Lab demo is contribution based pay raises. It does away with the "Stay in the job long enough your garunteed advancement." They are eliminating the GS payscales.

I have been under the lab demo for 4 years now and it is better but still not perfect. NSPS is a derivative of LAB demo.

Thanks Precision40 for giving a no to THOSE OF US that do actually work and are civil servants.

Well I got a good story. This is with the local fish and game. Ah, where to begin.

The shop guy went and spent $800 to put in a stereo in his state truck. They weren't too happy about the bill, but nothing was done. His brother works at another fish and game and they needed a tubing bender but didn't have the budget. So he ordered one and drove the bender 2 hours to his brother. When the boss asked where the bender is, he ends up driving another 2 hours to bring it back, all on the clock. Oh and he's living at the fish & game's house on the property with cable and internet for $75/month. It's not even suppose to be that low.

One of their other employees can be found usually at home when he's suppose to be working. He shows up for the morning meeting than takes the state truck and goes home. Then drives out to the wildlife for a few minutes and head back to HQ and goes on lunch. Well you get the idea. He actually left to go to another fish & game but got fired during the probation period, which is unheard of. They gave him his old job back and he's back doing the same thing.

Then there's the boss. He's the only person that is suppose to have access to the safe. But it's PITA to have to open the safe every time someone needs something, so it's rarely locked. He's also suppose to make daily deposits especially during hunting season, but that's too much work. So somehow over $10,000 in cash from hunting fees disappear. CHP does a full investigation, polygraph test and everything. And that's it. No one got fired, repremanded, nothing, business as usual.

You don't even want to know how much stuff they bought and are still on the pallets, like a nice vertical mill that they never use.

As a (state) government employee, I agree with the original statement. It is if ever more frustrating to those of us who see it from the inside and have to do our job, and that of those who don't do theirs. My buddy Raz-0 (who happens to be my office mate) says you can devide most of the people in our organization as those who bust their ass to get stuff done, those who do just enough to keep their job, and those who do negative work and make it hard for everyone one else to do their job just so they don't look as bad. He is not wrong.

So if all the government employees with any integrity at all would quit in disgust and go get a better paying job in private industry, that would leave only those who do nothing working for the government.....Hmmmmm....... This could work out for the best!

I hope NSPS does what it is meant to do.

I read the other day that a Federal Judge just ruled most of the major portions of the NSPS system to be illegal. Basically putting them back at square one.

Talking with my union rep about the whole deal just the other day and it sounds like NSPS has the potential to really overhaul the way we've always done business as far as getting rid of the trash, but it also has the great potential to be abused. I think the end product will be an extremely watered down version of the original, but at this point anything is better than nothing. :D

There is hope...

Lookup Lab Demo pay scale and the new NSPS personel system on the opm.gov website.

The Lab demo is contribution based pay raises. It does away with the "Stay in the job long enough your garunteed advancement." They are eliminating the GS payscales.

I have been under the lab demo for 4 years now and it is better but still not perfect. NSPS is a derivative of LAB demo.

Thanks Precision40 for giving a no to THOSE OF US that do actually work and are civil servants.

Yes, but do they require use of seniority rather than merit for layoffs, and require documented reasons to fire you? Those of us in the private sector still deal with employment at will, and the total irrelevancy of seniority in layoff selections.

Yes, but do they require use of seniority rather than merit for layoffs, and require documented reasons to fire you? Those of us in the private sector still deal with employment at will, and the total irrelevancy of seniority in layoff selections.

Well in my little world I have seen folks "retired" but not layed off. Usually they offer an eraly out and it is taken. A RIF (reduction in force) is a different matter and it gets all kinds of messy. The DEMO process usually achieves it goals because after a couple of raise cycles at $0 dollars incentive (they still get Cost of Living) they get the idea and move on. At present it is usually back into a GS type slot where they were thriving. When NSPS goes online that option will be reduced.

As for documented proof for firing... yeah they need documentation but much less than under the GS scale.

Steven

A friend of mine went to work for the Wyoming Department of Transportation less than a week ago. Last night he told me he thinks he might be getting laid off after only 3 days on the job. I took the bait and asked why. He told me he heard someone had developed a shovel with a kick stand attached. :lol:

County work force has been pared to the bone.

Only ones left are the ones that bust ass and get the work done, and the ones that can't be fired because they know someone. :angry:

Working IT for the County Government has taken "thankless job" to a whole new dimension. We run three major ERP systems (HR/Payroll, full Finance package, and a Budgeting System) and we do it with a staff of 3. The last manpower evaluation said that we needed a staff of 5.5 FTEs to handle the HR/Payroll system alone. And the wife wonders why MONSTER.COM is my favorite internet site after BEnos.Com!