Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Movie Gun Goofs

Dowter

One of my favorite scenes is from "The Replacement Killers" where Chow yun Fat has like 8 berettas strapped on, and instead of reloading, he just ditches the empties and goes for two fresh one, and two more...and two more...might not be realistic, but it scores cool points...ditto on the lobby scene in "the Matrix"

Best car chase...Ronin

And aside from a few changes from the book eg how Pfc Blackburn fell...and how the Rangers ended up havingt to spray the crowds (in the movie they showed remarkable restraint and accuracy) Blackhawk down is one of the best war/action movies ever

Best gunfight..the two Delta snipers covering Durants crash site...love that M21 with the Aimpoint

Pat

Right on BE.

Whenever I watch Heat, I stop the movie right about the time DeNiro walks out of the Hotel.  I would have had him just get into the Camaro and drive.  You have to wonder if Michael Mann had that in mind but got overruled by the studio.

E

I was o.k. with the ending of Heat.  I would have been o.k. with DeNiro killing Pacino too.  But to think that DeNiro would have gotten in the car and driven away...... that would have been like a member of the super squad walking away from the Nationals to do something else.  I think these two characters had to have that final confrontation ---- they had to know who was better.  

Eric,

Yea, that's where I stop it to. And it's not even that I didn't like Deniro "losing" - it's just that the ending shootout scene is STUPID. It totally ruins the rest of the great action in the movie.

Flex,

Sorry buddy, but you're gonna have to spell it out for me.

:)

be

The problem I have with HEAT is that the events leading up to Pacino finding his daughter in his hotel room, nearly dead from a suicide attempt, are totally unrealistic, they violate everything we've seen about his character to that time. We have this cop who is totally committed, obsessively committed, to catching this super-robber. He's told his men that if they don't catch the guy within, what, eight hours, he's gone. Then, before that deadline, for no apparent reason, he just says, "That's it, he's gone," and quits. WHY? Even the other members of his team aren't ready to quit yet. There's no evidence, no reason Pacino should assume DeNiro is already gone. Well, the obvious reason is that Mann needed to get Pacino into his hotel room so we could have the big, dramatic scene where he scoops his daughter's near-dead body out of the bathtub, and he can't do that if he's out chasing DeNiro. And by the way, wasn't it really great foreshadowing on Mann's part to NEVER mention Pacino is now living in a hotel room until that scene? That fact just came out of left field with no warning. You could see the plot strings pulling the character instead of the actions flowly logically from the character's personality. A major disappointment in an up-til-that-point excellent movie.

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 3:19 pm on Feb. 24, 2002)

DT,

I kind of interpreted it as Pacino's character actually WANTING to see DeNiro get off clean which is why he "gave up" at the last minute.  

But, do keep in mind with a lot of these movies, the studios execs and marketing people force the directors into editing these films in nonsensical ways.  For example:  I just watched the European release of Leon: The Professional (released as just "The Professional" in the US) and the "addition" of 20 minutes of footage (the ones that would not stand up to the US's puritanical elements) turned it into a *very* different movie.  

The movie that makes it to the theater is not necessarily the one the director wanted to show.  Until one finds out how from the director just how the studio screwed up his movie, it's tough to be too critical.  Another great example is Lawrence of Arabia.  They totally hosed up that one just b/c theaters complained it was too long.  The director had no choice at all in the matter.  Thankfully, it has been restored it back to its original intent.  

I do like Heat.  It really is one of the best cops and robbers movies ever made.  IMHO.  

E

P.S.  If you like action, see Le Pacte des Loups (Brotherhood of the Wolf).  In French w/subtitles, but very good - and very loud.  Bring earplugs.     Also very graphic - leave the kiddies/young teens home.  

(Edited by EricW at 7:08 am on Feb. 22, 2002)

One of my favorite gun blunders is an old John Wayne movie.  I believe it is Red River (I'll edit in the correct name if I'm wrong).  The good guys (Wayne, et al) have just crossed a river and are hiding in piles of driftwood firing at the bad guys across the river.  When the Sheriff runs out of ammo the Duke gives his Colt SSA to the Sheriff who promptly AD's almost into his foot.  He gets a very sheepish look and cranks off the next 4 rounds with a flinch worse than Mel Gibson's.

My other favorite is Chuck (Tim Conway) on Mchales Navy.  Mchale tells Chuck to put away the .45 he's waving around.  Chuck looks at the gun and says "Down for Safe" Bang!  "Ooops Up for Safe" Bang!  

As a general rule I just love how many times Hollywood will chamber a round in pump shotguns.  I've seen some characters rack the slide as they are getting ready, then rack the slide again as the action starts, then rack it a third time when the dramatic moment arrives and they never once eject a loaded round!

Most of the Wayne movies, as great as they are, are full of goofs.  The Duke had his favorite guns in lots of his movies, even if they were late 1870's or later Winchesters and Colts, and the movie took place in the Civil War or a few years after.  Proper equipment just wouldn't have looked as cool as his ol' hogleg and lever gun.

Yeah, the gun handling on "Way of the Gun" was pretty good, but the 'thinking' part was pretty bad.  3 minutes into the movie and the main characters were laying in the parking lot bleeding, 80 minutes later they were laying in the parking lot bleeding.  Slow learners?

The TV show combat missions, when they have to reach in a box full of diffrent gun parts and put one together. The guy from the CIA is fumbling with a M4 and it goes off while he is still putting it together and its pointed at the guy beside him. Good thing it was blanks.