Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accurate .308 Loads

Precision40

I'm about to buy a Rem 700 Police in .308. Initially I'll be using Black Hills Match Ammo, but at nearly a buck a round, I won't be shooting much of it.

I'd like to get set up to load .308, so I'm looking for some load data. What are some excellent, accurate powder/bullet combo's that work great out to 600 yds?

I'm about to buy a Rem 700 Police in .308. Initially I'll be using Black Hills Match Ammo, but at nearly a buck a round, I won't be shooting much of it.

I'd like to get set up to load .308, so I'm looking for some load data. What are some excellent, accurate powder/bullet combo's that work great out to 600 yds?

The standard for .308 is a Sierra 168 Matchking, 40 to 42 grains of 4895. Also try the Sierra 175 MK, it's a bit more streamlined.

Dan is spot on with the Sierra, just toured the plant yesterday and they put a lot of effort into keeping their product consistent. Tech pulled some of the 168's fresh from the press and walked over to weigh and measure all were right on spec.

That being said don't overlook Berger, they fly very well from my 308. As far as powders Varget works great although it takes a good powder drop to be consistent, I've had good results from 2520. Plan to work up a load with Vihtavuori as it works so well in .223. Enjoy!

I have a custom 308 03A3 Springfield made up 20 or so years ago as a Match Rifle by one of our local legends, Cliff Huston, and an M1 Garand NM in 308. The following loads are ones which will shoot incredibly well (and loaded on a Dillon 550 BTW) in both rifles:

1. 168 Sierra MatchKing, 41.4 grains of IMR 4064, CCI Match Primer, loaded to an OAL of 2.800.

2. 168 Sierra MatchKing, 40 grains of AA 2520, CCI Match Primer, loaded to OAL 2.800.

3. 175 Berger VLD, 42.2 grains of IMR 4062, Federal Match Primer, loaded to 2.880 OAL.

4. 173 GI Match (if you can find any) with 39 grains of IMR 4895, CCI Match Primer, and an OAL of 2.800.

A cast bullet load that will shoot less than an inch with iron sights at 100 yards-never shot it any farther than that:

17.5 grains of AA 5744 with any good 165-190 grain cast bullet. Seat around 2.605 OAL or longer if you can. I use match primers in these, but you don't have to.

I use any good commercial or military brass BUT they need to be "Match prepped" for best accuracy. That is with the flash holes deburred and the primer pockets uniformed. There are tools to do this available from Sinclair International but I use the RCBS Casemate which does this and lots more really quick and sells for less than a hundred bucks.

Bob

Edited by straightshooter1

+1 on Dan's info. My load is the same and shooting also shooting a 700 Police. But yet to try shooting beyond 200 yards.

Norbs,

Is that a 700 Police with the wood stock? Or, the PSS with the synthetic stock? I know they only made the wood version for a year or two.

In my 308 I've had better luck accuracy wise with the Hornady A-Max than with the Sierra. Price of the A-max is competitive, but a little more the last time I priced. I'm shooting the 175 Sierra now because of a group buy and my 1 in 12 barrel stablizes them, but doesn't like them as well as the 168s. I will be going back to the 168 A-max.

Edited by HighTechRedneck

+1 on Dan's info. My load is the same and shooting also shooting a 700 Police. But yet to try shooting beyond 200 yards.

Norbs,

Is that a 700 Police with the wood stock? Or, the PSS with the synthetic stock? I know they only made the wood version for a year or two.

Mine is with the synthetic stock, by HS Precision.

168 gr. Sierra MatchKing over 39gr of 3031 or 42gr of Varget... Spark 'em with a Fed 210 Gold Medal Match primer, and seat 'em ~0.010" short of the lands. Have gotten 5/8" groups at 200yds out of my Remmy with this combo (BUT, won't feed out of the mag... seated to mag length, the groups "open up" to a bit over 3/4" at 200yds...

(Turns out this load is also dog nuts in an AICS that a friend was contemplating dispatching for a reasonable price, after several factory loads failed to satisfy - tried a handful of these, and decided to hang onto it...silly, silly me...)

Edited by n2ipsc

Does anyone know what powder Federal uses in their 168 and 175 Match loads?

Scott,

It will most likely be a non canister powder. In other words something you can't get, they tune the loading to get the velocity and pressure they want. Or it could be something like 4895. They won't tell you.

It used to be IMR 4064 but they switched to Re15 about 2 years ago as re15 is more temp stable. 4064 is still the most accurate combo i have tried. Varget never made the accuracy cut and the lot to lot consistencence sucks really bad. Under 600 use the 168 SMK and 41.4 of 4064 over 600 42.3 and 175 SMK.

• 3 months later...

My Remington 700 MOR .308 really likes Nosler 168 gr. J4 Competition Bullets (often cheaper than the Sierra MK), 45.0 gr. of Varget, WLR primer in a Federal case.

My rifle really likes that bullet regardless of powder: RE15, Varget, 4064, 4895 have all worked out well.

My Remington 700 MOR .308 really likes Nosler 168 gr. J4 Competition Bullets (often cheaper than the Sierra MK), 45.0 gr. of Varget, WLR primer in a Federal case.

My rifle really likes that bullet regardless of powder: RE15, Varget, 4064, 4895 have all worked out well.

Kelly,

I've heard nothing but good things about the Nosler J4 jacketed bullets. Is the bullet supply like Nosler used to be? You can get them anytime you want, until you run out just before a match. I stopped buying Nosler Ballistic Tips because of that.

I finally got around to testing some loads and found that 45 grains of Varget with a 175 SMK seems to be the most accurate load for me.

Also chrono'd some M118 and Black Hills 175smk and found them to be about the same as my handloads. In a pinch I can always buy some of either.

Kind of a happy feeling seeing your first hits on a target at 500yds ;)

My 15 year old 700P loves a 168 SMK over 41.5 grains of IMR 4895 @ 2.800 oal.

I had the barrel turned back so at that OAL with that bullet, the ogive is .030 off the rifling.

When I have the rifle rebarrelled, I'm going to use a 20" or 22" barrel. The factory 26" barrel is a bit unwieldy for my puposes (nothing past 600 yds).

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently shooting a Rem 700 VS (26" stock barrel, fouled and warm, DIY trigger job at 3 lbs, stock torqued to 65-inch-pounds). Getting an honest half MOA on 5-shot groups with the following load:

168 grain Sierra Matchkings (moly coated via tumbler)

44.4 grains IMR 4064

WLR primers

match-prepped PMC brass (I know, should be using better cases :lol: )

COAL 2.905 (30 thousandths off lands)

Loading using Redding Micrometer Seating Die on Forster Co-Ax press to minimize TIR.

I Tried Varget, BLC-2, and 748... no powder seems to match 4064 in my rifle.

YMMV, and be careful approaching any load you see on the 'net! Best of luck to you.

Kindest Regards,

bigkahuna

The powder differences are mainly temperature stability. If you don't care about that - either you get sighter rounds on KD targets or have time to get tons of data - then your powder selection is pretty awesome. If you don't have time to, most likely you will end up with Varget. The problem is in the reloading. Getting a consistent charge with Varget out of a drop measure is going to be a bit tricky. If you have a Prometheus then you won't have to worry about it. (Would almost be willing to bet about 10k that no one here has one or maybe even knows what that is!)

As far as bullets go I have an affinity for the Lapua 155's and Berger 155's. Don't believe what the companies say about their BC's. Get your own data. They kick less than the 175's at about 200 FPS faster, are flatter and seem to handle the wind the same.

Don't use the 168's for anything really over 800 yards. Then use 175's for 155's.

Also remember that a bullet that shoots well at 100 may not do that at 600 and Vice Versa! A 1000 yard bullet most likely doesn't group very well at 100 due to stabilization factors.

Take care,

Matt

Eric,

Did you settle on the 175 MK's because they shot so well, or because Nosler bullets are too unprecitable for availability?

If Nosler made a 175, I'd buy it. To my knowledge, they don't.

Matt's right on about the 155's.

I just chose 175's so that I could shoot anything from matches to elk and not screw with my loads.