Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Case Feed Slot Weak / Dragging

Anyone seen this one?

The little reciprocating tab that goes back, drops a case then feeds it into the shell plate is not returning far enough to actually seat the case, and acts like it's either dragging or the spring is really weak.

This is a BRAND NEW, clean machine, and I am having to thumb that thing every stroke in order to load.

I'm sure it's something easy to fix, who's seen this one before?

thanks in advance....

Hmmmm, I usually clip a coil off of the spring to smooth it out...... :mellow:

When the shell goes to the shelllplate, it hangs up, and then you have to wiggle the slide a little bit and then it goes in snuggly? *I said "snuggly* :lol:

I would pull the shellplate out and check that the brass you are using fits in the shell plate. I have two .40 shellplates of different years of manufacture that are different dimensions. If the brass you are using is a tight fit, then that could be the culprit. If that what is going on then take a small file and open up the top and bottom of the shellplate opening and polish it well. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is that the timing of the shellplate is off a little and the case is trying to hit the shellplate prior to locking into place......I dunno....good luck! DougC

One area I did notice is the corner on the base, is SHARP!!

It is definitely NOT helping guide the case into the shell plate if it's not perfectly deep in there. I am thinking of dremel-ing it a bit. Any words of caution? I figure a light bevel will help funnel a half fed case in better.

Somebody stop me. B)

Well the saga of the sick 1050 continues....

I am still trying to diagnose the case feeding issues. Everything else seems ok, more or less.

The case tries to feed in, but is not sitting low enough in the channel. The Slide recips back and forth freely, and the shell plate seems tight to the machine but not abnormally tight in accepting cases.

Dillon suggested it may be coated too thickly and tight inside, but it really doesn't seem like it.

I can reload V e r y s l o w l y, but when a case hangs up, it's usually tilted a little and not sitting down in deep enough to slide into the shell plate.

Any ideas?

Dirtypool40,

Sorry to hear about your problems with the new Super 1050 machine, first it was the primer system and now the case feeder issue. Right about now you have me scared to hell because I just put in a rather large order with BE. Ordered a new Super 1050 (38 Super Comp), caliber conversions and some accessories, all total about a 2K. I hope “Dillon the “Official” voice on BE.com” is reading your posts and helping you with your problems.

I just returned from the Shoot Show where I spoke with two other Dillon press owners (RL550 and XL650) who have received units in the last couple months with problems also. Not quite sure if Dillon is paying attention to detail or not. My wife ordered a RF 100 for Xmas which turned out to be a nightmare, 15 hours of trying everything and it just wasn’t going to work. BE was EXCELLENT with customer service and sending it back to Dillon for a full refund, thanks to BE for all his help.

Please keep us informed with your progress, I’m sure Dillon will work with you in correcting what ever issues you may have.

Good Luck!

Edited by TopGun

Remove the bolt that goes through a roller and into the right side of the case feed plunger. Remove the bolt from the roller, roll the bolt on a flat surface and see if it is bent. If the bolt had come loose in the plunger, it is easy for the threaded end of this bolt to bend. If straight, be sure the both the inside and outside of the roller are lubed with grease. Check the cam bolted to the toolhead, make sure there are no burrs on the edge that contacts the roller.

Next, push in on the plunger with your finger and see if it moves freely in the housing.

Now, go to page 31 in the manual,upper left hand corner, titled "Super 1050 casefeed sub assemblies". BE sure the roll pin #13972 is in place. This roll pin keeps the spring from kinking too severely.

Finally, remove the black plastic housing, check for debris, such as tumbling media, 22 rimfire cases, etc caught in behind the plunger. The sides of the plunger should be lightly greased.

FYI, when I state grease I mean sticky lube that is in a solid state. Don't use oil, break free, WD-40 or other substitutes. WE use lithium based wheel bearing grease, but anything above vaseline is acceptable. :ph34r:

I'm having VERY similar issues with my Super 1050 and spent hours on the phone with Dillon BUT I think I have the problem figured out - my bench isn't sturdy enough where the press is mounted and the cases are vibrating right before entering the shellplate.

• 1 month later...

This has been driving me crazy with my Super 1050.

After watching how the cases were feeding onto the shellplate (or not), I found that loosening the shellplate works the best. I initially had it at 1/8 turn from all the way tight, and now have it an additional 1/2 turn looser.

Be warned that loosening the shellplate requires that you adjust your seating die somewhat. I have the Redding competition micrometer type die, which makes this a breeze.

Loosening the shellplate turned out to be counterproductive.

Here's what works best for me, after much further testeing:

***shellplate is 1/8 turn loose, and

***reducing the speed at which the handle is raised - raising it quickly doesn't allow the case to feed correctly, nor does it allow a slightly misaligned case to align itself

• 3 weeks later...

still having too many problems to list. :( This is my 3rd 1050, and the only I've had this kind of problems with.

I spoke to Dillon today and they are going to check it out for me. :) I'm going to struggle through loading a couple thousand rounds and then send it off for a thorough once over.

Primer system still barfs about 1 or 2 times a primer tube. <_<

Powder station snaps back hard about every fourth stroke. :rolleyes:

Casae feed is a joke, requiring me to press down and then in on every second or third case. :angry:

I loaded 40k on one last year, and can average about 1400 / hr smoothly on these same dies. With my current machine I would be lucky to load 4-500 an hour. :o

wish me luck.

Worked like a dog last night for 40 minutes to load 250 rounds. That just sux!!! I can't wait to hear what's wrong with this thing. Maybe it has a few mis matched parts in it or something, but this is NOT what I came to expect from a 1050.

If it makes you feel any better, I have the same sort of issue with the 550 feeder. It will hang randomly like it is hitting a burr or sumthing. I haven't had time to take it apart. The plunger will stick about a half inch away from the cam and not fully cycle.

• 1 month later...

ok, I have finally struggled through enough loading with the lemon that I can afford the time to send it back to Dillon. I have enough rounds to get me through Area 8, so this week it goes back to Dillon.

I am AVERAGING 25-30 casefeed failures per primer tube.

The rest of the press ain't great either, the powder drop snaps back about every 5th stroke, and it feels like the station one dies does not line up perfectly with the shell plate, where I get that misalignment about every 8 or 10 strokes.

All in all not a rewarding loading experience, BUT!!!!

I have now owned four Dillon presses, 3x 1050 and the 650 I started with. I also helped a buddy set up his 650 down South. This is the first one I've seen theses problems with, and I have to believe it's just a lemon and that Dillon will make it right once I give them the chance.

It just sucks that I latched into this one when I am trying to get back into regular loading and shooting shcedule.

I'll keep everyone posted.... :(

At least there are plenty of dudes in your area who would allow you to load on their press, if you needed to....

Glad you finally got it sent in, anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...

My 1050 caught 'dirtypool' disease..

I've gone from 1 in 100 misfeeds to 1 in 5.. I'm thinking it's the new batch of Speer brass.. I had one case I could not manually seat into the shellplate

Any one else have a correlation to brass headstamps?

• 4 weeks later...

Eric. Take a look at the bushing on the LHS of the crankshaft. I tightened that up. Then I tightened down the shellplate. Voila! No more kerchunk. I complained about the kerchunk to Dillon and they claim it's a feature. I claim they didn't put the press together right.

It has nothing to do with the FCD. My press went Kerchunk! with only the stock dies. It is caused by the drag coming out of the sizing die, BTW.