Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RONIN

Pulp Fiction, Marcellus Wallace's soul was in the case.  That was one of the bonus questions on my Media Literacy exam in high school.  Thats why he had a band aid on the back of his neck and when it was opened up there was a bright light coming from it.  

Thread drift:  If it was something as imporant as Mr. Wallace's soul or something equally as "important", why in the hejl would Brad's Big Kahuna Burger eating, Sprite drinking, "what" saying a$$ being doing with it?  It doesn't make sense to me.

As for Ronin, like I sated before, what was actually in the case is of little importance.  But, if I was a betting man, I would bet it would be something on the order of either (1) triggers for nuclear/atomic weapons or (2) a nuclear, biological or chemical weapon of some sort, or parts/precoursers thereof.  Here's why I think so: (1) some eastern european has it and has it for sale and the former Soviet states were weapons heavy and cash short, (2) an Irish terrorist group wanted it and was willing to pay heavy to get it, albeit indirectly, (3) since a terrorist group wanted it, it had to be something small and portable if it were weapons parts, nothing like a ballistic missle or even tactical grade weaponry and (4, most importantly)  Katarina Witt's didn't die over something petty.  If she did, I'm really po'd.

boy do I have time on my hands...

• 3 months later...

You should be able to find "Ronin" for under $10 at a Target store near you (in case your only copy is on VHS!).

You have to admire the attitude of the character portrayed by Deniro. Guns are just tools, but if he had to choose . . . the venerable 1911A1! :D

Cool movie, but what was in the case?

It doesn't matter what was in the case, in either Ronin or Pulp Fiction. In both movies, the case is just what Alfred Hitchcock called "the MacGuffin." The defining characteristic of a MacGuffin is that it doesn't matter what it is, just that people want it, and its existence motivates the characters' actions throughout the movie. The most famous MacGuffin in movie history, of course, is the Maltese Falcon.

Pulp Fiction, Marcellus Wallace's soul was in the case.  That was one of the bonus questions on my Media Literacy exam in high school.  Thats why he had a band aid on the back of his neck and when it was opened up there was a bright light coming from it.

Did that answer come from Quentin Tarantino, or was it just someone else's theory?