Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So what was up with the opening ceremony? :huh:

5320952_7_2.jpg

5320928_7_2.jpg

5322598_7_2.jpg

5322756_7_2.jpg

I couldn't find a picture but did anyone else find the "alps" dress rather silly?

As for the events....hmmmm curling <yawn>

5329926_7_2.jpg

I'm thinking the ski board announcers (the ones that sound stoned and whose vocabulary is understandable by only those under 25 and residents of SoCal) could liven it up.

Maybe I'm still irritated at the IOC over the whole demonstartion debacle.... <_<

Edited by carinab

Carinab,

I wish I could explain, but I not much for symbolism or multi-dimensional metaphors but just a guess would be Rupaul meets Timothy Leary. A tradional winter sports theme.

As for the events, I think curling could be easily replaced by ice fishing also I think the Nordic Combined ( cross country/ shooting) could be further combined with Free Style Snow Boarding. Where the "Boarders" performed through a hail of Nordic rifle fire in hopes of sparing the world one more interview of " DUDE, Man I knew I had to go totally rad ..."

I Love the Olympics. Of course I love competition in general - but the Olympics are great because you have a great shot at competing against the best in class at whatever you do.

My big dissappointment came last night though in the only shooting sport in this year's Olympics.

Young kid from Alaska edges a target on the 20K biathlon to miss bronze. His best event is the 10K so really he's pretty high. Pumped about his chances on the 10K. For whatever reasons though, when the time came the targets didn't fall and he was something like 80th out of 90 competitors.

Heartbreaking. In addition, much to my dissappointment, no American has EVER medaled in the biathlon events. I never would have guessed that. Would've been great to see this year - but reading that and getting a little visibility I hope some kid is saying "hey, that could be me"

IMO - if it involves a gun, we should be competitive. Of course I'm biased.

J

I agree with Mr. Wigger's assessment. Why send shooters (or any discipline) to World Class events when they cannot shoot World Class scores.

It would be nice to see the World Class shooting by the US improve to become competitive.

JMHO

dj

Haven't watched many Fellini films have you? ;)

The opening ceremonies were Fellini inspired and a tribute to Fredrico Fellini.

Yah, guess I missed the film about the poor mohawk-headed boy with his heart and veins on the outside of his body that got a motorcycle for xmas from his parents hoping to improve his self image. :huh:

i'm so un-cultured. :P Maybe I ought to watch a Fellini film....

Edited by carinab

carinab,

Please don't put down my favorite winter olympic sport. Curling is awsome. Chess on ice. Much better than actual chess.

I had the pleasure of going to a big-time (Regional) Curling match while in Montreal for business last year. I had a great time. They invited me out on the ice during warm-ups, but then I was content to sit in the clubhouse (elevated, overlooking the ice, and equipped with a full bar and a cute hostess) while they played.

I was *very* impressed by the level of finesse and skill these guys and gals have. Yeah, it's slow, but the level of intensity and focus these folks brought to bear was impressive. I remember thinking how similar it was to watching Julie G. shoot a stage.

"Chess on ice" -- that about covers it.

My man Lones Wigger tells it like it is...Why is it that the logic and good guys never get to have it their way?

Maybe because Common Sense and Common Courtesy are not so common any more, and thus are not always recognized when displayed?

Edited by ima45dv8

carinab,

Please don't put down my favorite winter olympic sport. Curling is awsome. Chess on ice. Much better than actual chess.

So is it okay if I put down the announcers that make it seem really dull? They had me almost asleep. They certainly didn't generate any excitement/interest for someone (me) who hadn't really seen it before.

A Cirque Du Soliel IPO spinoff............

That's what it reminded me of, too.

I just couldn't remember how to spell "Cirque Du Soliel". :wacko:

The US Women's Curling team is hot.

that's pretty much all I know about curling.

That got me to searching.

Click the various names at the top of the page.

So is it okay if I put down the announcers that make it seem really dull? They had me almost asleep. They certainly didn't generate any excitement/interest for someone (me) who hadn't really seen it before.

Sure, that's fine :D It intrigued me so much last time that I actually researched the rules, stategies and stayed up until midnight each time to see what little they put on TV.

Carinab wrote:

"So what was up with the opening ceremony?"

Um - maybe trying to out-do the French? :lol:

-just joking of course; I like our flamboyant friends as much as the next guy. D.

Anyone have a comment on USA figure skater Johnny Weir telling America to "eat me", particularly directed at what he described as "Republican America"?

If I'm not mistaken he would not have the opportunity to represent US without OUR support.

While I agree with the statement that dissent within the USA is a form of patriotism, I strongly disagree personally with this guy's statement AND with his choice of venue.

I hope that EVERYONE lets him know exactly what they think of him going overseas & announcing this sort of un-patriotic non-sense to Europe & the rest of the world. Who is he trying to convince or pander to?

Should the Olympics be an appropriate forum to air grievances about US politics? - and on that note, I think this thread might be on thin ice as far as the BrianEnos forum policy regarding political discussion so I will stop short of further comment.

D.

Edited by Carlos

Then of course we have Bryant Dumbell remarks about the Olympics.

"So try not to laugh when someone says these are the world’s greatest athletes, despite a paucity of blacks that makes the Winter Games look like a GOP convention."

Bryant Gumbel

Gee thanks Dumbell for insulting the Russians, Swedes, Fins, Italians, etc...

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

Curling is much more interesting than some of the other sports like baseball where watching the grass grow is more interesting than the game or that one equestrian event where they ride around not doing anything. Heck, curling is more interesting than all the Olympic shooting sports.

The US women's team is definitely hot.

• 2 weeks later...

So the winter olympics are over. Reading some of the coverage, I came across this article. I can't even imagine the size of the olympic rulebook - it might be on par with the Oxford unabridged dictionary. I wouldn't be surprised either if the debates their committees have dwarf our paltry discussions over modifications and holsters. I couldn't sit through a committee session. I would be laughing out loud during the heated arugments over "anterior crotch length" for the ski jumpers uniforms. :P

Edited by carinab