Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2006 - Match Discussion

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey just added another vodcast about the open. Added commentary over the stages. If you are on a mac, either use ITUNES or SAFARI on a PC the easiest way is to use Itunes which is a free download from apple. If anyone else has some software suggestions on the PC end, please drop me a note.
matt, the podcast is great...thanks for doing it.

hey everyone,

great open match this year...

If you want top check out all the photos taken please come and see them ay www.ipscaction.com

happy viewing

Dean

hey everyone,

great open match this year...

If you want t co check out all the photos from the open - www.ipscaction.com

happy viewing

Dean

[edited to make the link live]

Edited by Flexmoney

Nice site and pictures...

I envy those of you that get to shoot this match again. I've still been thinking about the stages in my mind...the only one I would have done differently was the Bowling stage. Our squad started with that, and I wish I'd shot the paper as well as the steel from the box. One of those targets by the tires was pretty tight if you waited until the end...

But I'm curious about the following:

Soccer: any LTD shooters see any big advantage to advancing to the front of the shooting area?

Baseball: IMO, this was a perfect IPSC stage with its subtleties....On our squad I *think* only DirtyPool and Aikidale took the steel through the dugout on the way to FIRST base. Those shots took some cojones, IMO. But did knocking them out there really pay a big dividend?

Domino: I think this or Baseball was probably the hardest, and I have no idea how people ran it that fast. Bryan, on our squad, burned it down. But why did some people run *into* the house? Did that provide any advantage?

I thought all the stages were tough, especially for shooters with 10 rounds or less.

One of my buddies commented that you could easily spot the lim10 guys.

Just follow the trail of empty magazines.

The stage that was the hardest for me was "Nascar".

I hate memory stages. :huh:

I just didn't have enough time to figure it out.

When the buzzer went off, I had my first 20 rounds planned but the rest became a search and destroy mission.

If there was one stage I could do over it would be "Golf".

It was the second stage of the day and I overlooked a hidden target.

Ended up with 5 penalties. :angry:

I can shoot well all day but seem to always have one stage that turns into a disaster.

I guess consistency really is the key.

All in all it was a great match and pretty typical for the Fla Open.

Lots of long field courses with high round counts and without no-shoots.

Hoser heaven.

TLShores

Edited by tlshores

If there was one stage I could do over it would be "Golf".

It was the second stage of the day and I overlooked a hidden target.

Ended up with 5 penalties. :angry:

I can shoot well all day but seem to always have one stage that turns into a disaster.

I guess consistency really is the key.

All in all it was a great match and pretty typical for the Fla Open.

Lots of long field courses with high round counts and without no-shoots.

Hoser heaven.

TLShores

If the "T" stands for Tony, you shot pretty well!! 1st C in L10? Congrats :)

I imagine 50 points of penalties stung a tad on the 2nd stage of the day. <grin>

Which one did you overlook? The crossing shot from the left side of the shooting area? That target had me worried: I visualized the steel popper falling and "scaring" the hiding target, as a memory trick, and I guess it worked, because I saw it. For once I didn't fail to see a target in that match.

Boo,

Yes the "T" stands for Tony and thanks.

It was the crossing shot behind the wall that I missed.

It was pretty hard to swallow, especially early in the day.

I don't feel so awful about a bad run if I mess up in my shooting, but to lose so many points because I wasn't prepared when the buzzer went off is maddening.

I've been trying to eliminate the stupid mental errors from my game such as coming to line with and empty mag in my belt, etc.

I recently read Sauls book "Thinking about Practical Shooting" and one of the main themes is the mental game. He says you absolutely must maintain a positive mental outlook, especially after things go wrong.

I decided not to dwell on it and just put it behind me.

It seems to work because I got stronger as the day went on.

Thanks Saul.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

OH WELL

At least someone named Shores can place at the Fl Open. <_< Great job Tony :D .

Great shots! I wish you had used a wide angle lens to make me look thinner.

+1 on that. I also think I was moving faster than the camera showed. I think there is a conspiracy thingy going on here. Someone is trying to make me look bad. I don't think I need any help at it, I'm doing a great job by myself.

Ronnie

Guys and Gals,

we have a special going on where we put your head on eric graufel's body.

we do this in photoshop, and it gives that look of being thin and great shooting posture.

Kidding!!!!

Wide angle lenses coming up for the state match..

hope to see you all there....

Dean

Guys and Gals,

we have a special going on where we put your head on eric graufel's body.

we do this in photoshop, and it gives that look of being thin and great shooting posture.

Kidding!!!!

Wide angle lenses coming up for the state match..

hope to see you all there....

Dean

Are you shooting the R.O.'s on Friday?

Edit: By shooting I mean taking pictures of. After reading that back it looked odd. :)

Edited by Bigbadaboom

So, I am one of the "unlucky" ones to DQ on Skydiving. Here is what happened to me.

Last stage to be shot by my squad on Saturday. Guy before me starts and drops gun, DQ. I ask him if he had holster locked, he says no. Other guys say it has already happened to 6-8 people from other squads. My turn......I LAMR, gun in holster, and LOCK IT. Turn to RO and show him that it is locked and yank up on it a couple of times to test. We even have a good laugh about me being nervous even though holster is now locked.

BEEP, take 3 steps forward, lose control of handles, so I stop and reach back

for them. Gun comes out of locked holster and I go to Dairy Queen! What the

Fxxx? Look down and holster still in locked position. My friend had caught whole

thing on video so we watch and, sure enough, holster was locked just as I

thought I had done.

Sunday comes around and I go to cheer on the rest of squad on and bring

belt/holster to Bob Londrigan of Brazos to look at for me. Tell him story and

we try some guns in holster (CR Speed). Sure enough, with enough upward force

the gun can pop out. Net result.......I bought a Ghost holster from Bob, no more gun

coming out of a locked holster!

It sucks cuz I was trying to be extra careful locking the holster. I wanted to

make sure I didn't have a problem yet I still did. Feel guilty for endangering

folks yet I know I was not doing something stupid or unsafe.

Jon,

I believe you and, if it hadn't happened to me, I would find it hard to believe. Bob L. and I tried a couple of guns in it and, with the right upward and forward motion, the gun did come out. I guess the sudden stopping and reversing (to regrab the handles) provided the right direction to bring it out. I have video to prove it! Would be glad to share video if someone can host and post.

When I purchaed my CR-Speed it came with two or three trigger guard inserts and several different spacers to match different trigger guards. The majority would work, but only one was perfect. You might check to see if you have the correct insert and spacer combination.

Leo

Edited by L9X25

The gun fit nicely/tightly into holster and I had used for for over a year with no issues.

PS to previous post. I offered to share video but it is 17 MB and my email service will not allow me to send anything over 10 MB, just tried. Have no idea how to cut parts of video to make it under 10 MB.