Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Have To Share This One.

PaulW

Ok so Saturday I met up with a shooting friend of mine to help him with his new blaster. We had the range pretty much to ourselves but the RO from the rifle range came wondering over. I had two raceguns torn apart and he just came by to shoot the bull. Now to paint a picture f this guy he is an older gentleman, about 75-100 lbs overweight, walks with a limp, and wears some pretty thick glasses. Oh, and he talks funnier than I do. Ok, anyways, he starts telling us that when he's in Argentina he buys these huge tomato's, it's the season over their, and likes to shoot them with some off the wall rifle. Suppose to be better and more accurate that a .50 cal. What got my attention was when he said he was shooting these tomato's from a MILE away!!! 5280 feet!!!!! Then he says his best group on paper has been about 3 feet. I could not help but grin and ask him sheepishly, "How big are these damn tomato's your shooting?"!! I don't think he liked that and the conversation was dropped. I'm not sure this is even possible, I have heard of mile long sniper kills, but tomato's and hitting them MOST of the time. I'd have to see that.

Gah, a bogus tomato story! Or is that a story about bogus tomatoes...? A mile away. Gimme a break.

..."How big are these damn tomato's your shooting?"!! I don't think he liked that and the conversation was dropped."
That's hilarious!! :lol::lol:

Ok .... Hornady's book Vol#2 shows that a 50cal 750 grain A-Max bullet, with a muzzel v. of 2850 fps will... be going 1409 fps at 1800 meters (if it is ) zeroed at 200 meters it will have a dorp of 1,254.7" inches at 1800 meters. Or 104.5 feet of drop ....or 69.6 MOA

The 750 grain A-Max bullet has a Ballistic Coefficient of 1.050 ...= with quick math the wind drift for 5mph cross wind would be close to 10 feet +or -

One mile would only be 1760 yards

So based on what an AR can do at 1000 yards with a 75 grain bullet with a Ballistic Coefficent of 0.435 with 311.6 inches of drop ,or 25.9 feet of drop ???. ....

Ahaaa Bulldungasss alltoass ;)

Tomato at 1760 yards ... as all he would have had to do is get with in 10 feet and the fragments would rip up the Tomato. :wacko:

When I was in the Navy, our ship had an "Open House" where we would show to the public all the missions our ship could perform. I got to talking to a SEAL about this .50 cal semi-auto rifle with what looked to be some sort of interplanetary telescope on it.

I remember him telling me that they routinely shoot a human sized "torso" target all day long at well over a mile. So theres no doupt that it can be done, but by an ordinary, average guy? It's highly unlikely.

A tomato I seriously doubt, but in the past I read the range test of a custom made long distance sniping rifle (.338" Lapua Mag.) from an Italian 'smith that could print inside a 3 feet circle @ 1 mile.

Pretty impressive.

Best group recently fired at Raton with a custom 50lb single shot 50BMG was about 2.9" for five shots at 1000Y. Therefore 2.9 x 1.76 = 5.104", still a big tomatoe.

A good group with something portable (Barret etc) is usually around 6" at best and more like 10" at 1000y. Applying the same formula, best expected with Barret type would be 10 1/2" to more likely 17 1/2". Sure they weren't watermelons, them is red too!

I saw a guy shoot two consecutive 5 shot groups at 900y with a 30-338 off a bipod, 1st group 6.5", next 5.8". Both groups were wider than they were high. Best I could get with the same rifle was around 9" x 5".

Yea, I'd buy that. And I believe even human size targets. But Tomato's??? Well unless they have car sized tomato's there.

Hmmm, vehicle sized vegetables. I guess Cinderella's cries never reached him when he wrecked her pumpkin carriage from a mile away...