Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock For Limited: G35, 24 Or 20?

BR

Hello All-

I am thinking about shooting Limited this year. I currently shoot a G34 in production and love it. I plan on sticking with the glock platform, as I feel completely comfortable and competent with it, really like glocks, and will save about $1000 over a nice STI.

If you were going to shoot Limited with a glock, which would you choose: G35, G24 or G20 with a .40 barrel?

I have various thoughts on this topic, and would appreciate hearing yours. Thanks - take care.

-br

Here is what I use, although I have heard some good things about the 24.

Glock-35 Tactical/Practical

Sights: AmeriGlo adj. Rear, .90" front blade

Springs: Wolff 14# recoil, Wolff 4# striker

Trigger: Lightning Strike Aluminum- polished, Wolff extra power return spring

Connector: Glockmeister- polished

Guide rod: T.H.E., Ext. Tungston

Barrel: 5.3” SS KKM match

Safety: Lightning Strike titanium plunger, reduced power Wolff spring

Slide Stop: Lone Wolf hardchromed std length, hardchromed 3-pin kit

Striker: OEM-Modified/polished

Finish: Hard Chromed, forward cocking serrations (NHO)

Grips: Tru-Grip- Eric Wesselman

Magazine release: Aro-Tec Extended aluminum

Magwell: S&J Custom, aluminum

Modifications: Rounded and relieved trigger guard, shortened trigger pre-travel

Magazines: OEM Hi-capacity

Basepads: Arrendondo +5, red

Belt: CR-Speed- red

Holter: CR-Speed- red

Mag Pouch: CR-Speed- red

post-5009-1139356702_thumb.jpgpost-5009-1139356739_thumb.jpgpost-5009-1143243552.jpg

Edited by Rocket35

I have the 35 and the 20 and I prefer the 20. I have found that it has far less felt recoil at +165 PF than the 35. The only caveat is that depending on your hand size the grip on the 20 might not be for you.

I currently shoot the G34 in Production, but also playing around with the idea of shooting Limited with my G35. Tried it at an informal match this evening and I actually shot a better score with the G35. It is just like shooting your G34 only those .40 major loads go bang quite a bit more than the soft 9mm loads. :D

Here is what I use, although I have heard some good things about the 24.

Glock-35 Tactical/Practical

Sights: Dawson Precision adj. Rear, fiber optic front

Springs: Wolff 14# recoil, Wolff 4# striker

Trigger: Lightning Strike Aluminum- polished, Wolff extra power return spring

Connector: Glockmeister- polished

Guide rod: T.H.E., Ext. Tungston

Barrel: 5.3” SS KKM match

Safety: Lightning Strike titanium plunger, reduced power Wolff spring

Slide Stop: Lone Wolf hardchromed std length, hardchromed 3-pin kit

Striker: OEM-Modified/polished

Finish: Hard Chromed, forward cocking serrations (NHO)

Grips: Tru-Grip- Eric Wesselman

Magazine release: Aro-Tec Extended aluminum

Magwell: S&J Custom, aluminum

Modifications: Rounded and relieved trigger guard, shortened trigger pre-travel

Magazines: OEM Hi-capacity

Basepads: Arrendondo +5, red

Belt: CR-Speed- red

Holter: CR-Speed- red

Mag Pouch: CR-Speed- red

post-5009-1139356702_thumb.jpg[attac

ment=3771:attachment]

post-5009-1139356739_thumb.jpg

Dude, didn't anybody ever tell you that Glocks are supposed to be ugly?

:wub: I gotta get me one of those... :wub:

My initial thought was to go with the G35 and stick with essentially the exact same gun with the same barrel length, as suggested. I have shot one and really like it. Same as a 34.

But then, many of the limited shooters I know rave about their 6" limited guns, how the extra inch makes such a world of difference. Also, everything I've read about the G24 says it is just great to shoot, even better than the 35. So, I decided I'd find a G24, but have not yet tried one.

Then, I re-read the recently revived posts about the viability of the G20 as a limited platform, and reconsidered. While I do not have large hands, they are mediums and I comfortably have shot a G21. Does anyone know off-hand whether Ralph Sotelo makes a trigger for the large frame glocks?

Now, I have all these glock dreams running through my head. In a perfect world, which would you choose for your limited gun - 20, 24 or 35?

Cheers,

-br

Edited by joker22

Joker22,

I believe Ralph does make one I would suggest contacting him. I am currently using Vanek triggers on my G20 and G21 and have found them to be extremely reliable 100% of the time.

Here's the link

http://www.triggerkit.com

And heres an excerpt from Ralph's website.

"FOR COMPETITION USE ONLY!!! Currently available for small frame Glocks (9mm &

40SW) and Large frame Glocks (45 and 10mm). Please make your selection below."

Edited by ryucasta

Here is some food for thought....

NROI Rulings

Title: Vanek Trigger in Production

Created: 1/30/06

Updated: 2/07/06

Effective: 2/07/06

Rule number: US Appendix D9 i

Applies to: Pistol

Ruling authority: John Amidon

Question

There has been a question recently regarding the use of Vanek Triggers in Glock Pistols in Production Division. The question is whether this is an external modification. The only thing visible from the outside of the gun is: the trigger is slightly further back in the frame due to an internal decrease in pre travel, the rear of the trigger safety is trimmed a few thousanths so that it was will still engage and act as a safety, and, I think part of the front of the trigger saftey is smoothed as well.

Ruling

The Vanek trigger, much like the Speed Bump trigger, has an external modification that makes it illegal for Production division. The Speed Bump trigger has the travel screw mounted to the rear of the trigger and is visible externally, the Vanek trigger, has relocated the pivot pin about 3/16" above the factory specs, and has filled in the original hole with a black material that is still visible on inspection.

Return to NROI Rulings

Copyright © 2004 USPSA, P.O. Box 811, Sedro Woolley WA 98284

jkrispies: Thanks for the kind comments. I did all the work myself with the exception of the forward cocking serrations and hard chroming.

Joker22: As of right now in a "perfect world" I would go with the G35, but I have not shot a G24, and for that matter a "perfect world" doesn't exist! :P:D:lol:

I got a chance to see Rocket's Limited G35 this past weekend and it super sweet. He undercut the triggerguard really nicely. If I was gonna build one of these, I would just try throwing some cash at him, rather than try to build my own. I'd highly recommend using his exact set up.

Rocket,

If I was to compete in the Production Division of USPSA I would keep the trigger stock. This being due to the fact that International IPSC requires a 5 pound trigger for the first shot. After all you never know when you'll be going to a World Shoot. :)

http://www.ipsc.org

Minimum trigger pull (see Appendix F2) 2.27 kg (5lbs) for first shot

I would say stay with the same platform. stick with the Tactical/Practical line, you are use to it, so its not that much of a change from what your doing in production. Plus if your production gun goes down you could feasibly use your g35 to shoot production, just take off the magwell, and or any other external modifications within the bi-laws.

I had a 35 and once I shot my 24 I got another one as a backup gun. The 24 makes a excellent limited gun. With a 15 lb. spring and some major PF reloads it is a very flat shooting pistol. I have a hand fit KKM barrel in my 24 and it is very accurate. A Dawson/Heinie sight set is also a great way to improve a Glock. If you have not shot a 24 do so and see how you like it. The six inch barrel makes for a nice shooting gun. Less recoil than the G35 IMO.

Thats a tough one joker. I also shoot Prod w my G34 and have considered keeping the same platform, (mag changes, handling, etc) is all the same as shooting Prod because essentially 35 is same gun as 34, just more recoil.

I have two 24's and they ARE ACCURATE as hell! I have yet to make up some IPSC match (soft) loads and shoot them out of the 24, but with factory out of the 24, it is a tack driver!!

Now, the G20 definitely handles recoil better than the 35 and 24. The G20 (IMO) feels like it recoils quite a bit less than the 35 or 24. Again, larger frame. You'll have to decide whether you want to keep everything the same feeling (34/35) or change the feel with a 34/20. I will be making this decision in the next 3 months after I get 4000 rounds of Prod loaded and I can change the dies for making major soft 40.

Shocking about the ruling on Vanek triggers though.

I got a chance to see Rocket's Limited G35 this past weekend and it super sweet. He undercut the triggerguard really nicely. If I was gonna build one of these, I would just try throwing some cash at him, rather than try to build my own. I'd highly recommend using his exact set up.

Thank you for the kind words Kimber...I have helped some people out with their Glocks in the past and they have all been really happy with the results. I am pretty satisfied myself, although I haven't had time this year to fully appreciate the new modifications I too think this is the ticket.

I've never shot a 24, but I prefer my G22 to the G35 for LTD. It may be my imagination, but it feels lighter and like it cycles faster. The sight radius difference is a non-issue to me. YMMV.

The Vanek trigger in not an issue in LTD. However, I'm taking out my Vanek trigger on my G17 Production gun later today . . .

Rocket35 - that mag well looks great! Is it light?

Edited by chp5

I shoot a G-24 in limited. Everyone said it would feel sluggish but I haven't really noticed that. The only thing I know is it immediately improved my shooting both speed and accuracy when I got it. I know its the shooter not the gun but it just seemed to click for me. I was shooting a G-17 in production before and when I got the 24 I took them both out and shot the plate rack a bunch of times to compare. Best run with G-24 and major loads 3.59 best run with G-17 and minor 4.10. and the draw was slower with the G-24. It doesn't make sense but it worked for me. I love the G-24

My set-up is as follows:

THE brass magwell

Tungsten guide rod

Dawson sights

Stock trigger

Please, keep the comments coming. I just spent the last 8 hours sitting in an NRA Instructor class - thank god for coffee.

Anyone other than Kevin and Aweland have experience with a combination of these platforms, and, if so, which would you choose as your Limited gun? And why? Thanks,

-brian reynolds

Edited by joker22

Hi Joker & Glocksters,

I have a G35 and a G24 that I use in Limited. The great thing about the Glock pistol is that most of the parts are interchangeable. Joker you can buy a G35 and then buy a G24 slide that will fit on the G35 frame.

DVC,

Mell

Edited by Mell531

Thats a tough one joker. I can give you a better idea in about a month ot two, but thats tough right now as I havent had as much timw w/ them as I need to make my decision. The G20 definiitely feels like it recoils less, but the same feel for both guns (ie reloading, grip size) w/ using the 34/35 is also a plus. And the 24 is dead accurate. In addition, this only my observations, you might percieve things differently.

Thats a tough call.