Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock For Limited: G35, 24 Or 20?

BR

Joker,

I own all three of the aforementioned platforms and today I would recommend the G20 over all the others.

The G24 was Glock’s second competition only gun the 17L being first. I found mine to be a little nose heavy and it can only be used in the Limited and Open divisions of USPSA and if you were to compete in IDPA it wouldn’t be legal due to the fact that it would not fit in the IDPA box. That firearm currently resides in another state where I use it as a night stand gun when I’m there.

The G35 was Glock's answer to the IDPA box and as such can be used by most if not all the pistols games today except International IPSC Production Division. I used the G35 for over 3 years in USPSA competition and I tricked it out with various magazine wells before settling on the NHO Stainless (6.5 oz) it has buried Bomar’s from CGR (Done before Dawson offered sights) and a full length Tungsten Guide Rod and no matter what I did from a weight perspective it had more felt recoil than my double stack Para's, SV's and STI's.

I believe the reason for this difference in felt recoil is due to the size of the back strap. I have found the same to be true when I shoot my 40 S&W single stack 1911 (SV) vs. my double stack models (SV, STI). The double stack has less felt recoil than the single does when using the same exact load (170PF).

What made me decide to go with the G20 was a GM who goes by the handle of Swede20 (made GM with a G20). He was kind enough to let me try his Glock with full +165 PF loads and the felt recoil was nothing compared to the G35.

Today I am competing with only two Glock firearms the rest have been relegated to the safes. Those two Glock’s are the G21 for IDPA CDP and for USPSA Limited a G20. BTW, this last Saturday at a local match I let quite a few folks try out my G20 and they were impressed with the package. Among those that tried it was a fellow by the name of Jojo Vidanes. He dry fired the G20 and he commented how he liked the feel of the G20 and he also liked the trigger (Vanek). All those that actually fired the G20 commented that the 170PF loads that I was using had hardly any felt recoil.

Edited by ryucasta

I shoot a G-24 in limited. Everyone said it would feel sluggish but I haven't really noticed that. The only thing I know is it immediately improved my shooting both speed and accuracy when I got it. I know its the shooter not the gun but it just seemed to click for me. I was shooting a G-17 in production before and when I got the 24 I took them both out and shot the plate rack a bunch of times to compare. Best run with G-24 and major loads 3.59 best run with G-17 and minor 4.10. and the draw was slower with the G-24. It doesn't make sense but it worked for me. I love the G-24

My set-up is as follows:

THE brass magwell

Tungsten guide rod

Dawson sights

Stock trigger

I'm shooting a 24 in Lim. and my experience has been EXACTLY the same as yours. I tried out a friend's 35, but it felt snappy to me. My 24 is set up exactly like yours, no frills. I do have a lot of grip tape and an extended mag release, otherwise no different, and I am enjoying that pistol!

I don't notice any nose-heaviness, and so far I've not been able to outrun the slide. So far it has been 100% reliable. Great gun!

Andy C.

Joker,

The G35 was Glock's answer to the IDPA box and as such can be used by most if not all the pistols games today except International IPSC Production Division. I used the G35 for over 3 years in USPSA competition and I tricked it out with various magazine wells before settling on the NHO Stainless (6.5 oz) it has buried Bomar’s from CGR (Done before Dawson offered sights) and a full length Tungsten Guide Rod and no matter what I did from a weight perspective it had more felt recoil than my double stack Para's, SV's and STI's.

Today I am competing with only two Glock firearms the rest have been relegated to the safes. Those two Glock’s are the G21 for IDPA CDP and for USPSA Limited a G20. BTW, this last Saturday at a local match I let quite a few folks try out my G20 and they were impressed with the package. Among those that tried it was a fellow by the name of Jojo Vidanes. He dry fired the G20 and he commented how he liked the feel of the G20 and he also liked the trigger (Vanek). All those that actually fired the G20 commented that the 170PF loads that I was using had hardly any felt recoil.

What kind of barrel are you using in your G 20

Edited by bulm540

New guy also very curious about this topic. I am looking at a 24 or 35 for limited in the future. My concern is the cyclic rate on the longer 24 vs the extra weight and ability to shoot a little lighter load, therefore quicker recovery from the recoil, Does it offset, or does one factor outweigh the other(s) on the 24? If the weight and higher velocity don't really lessen the recoil, then I would be more inclined to go with the 35 for the slightly faster cyclic rate.

Course, I could be quibbling over really minor details too... I don't know. Has anyone played around with this, and know the answer?

short answer,

I use a 24 with added weight in the slide. i can get .08 splits out of it and I use less powder than I did in my 5 inch sti .

with tight group this is the softest flatest limited gun I have shot of any manufacture.

Is adding weight to the slide legal for Limited? The rule here seems like it might fall into the "Vanek trigger" arena; external weight is not allowed, internal mods for 'reliability'....

Also, How was the weight added to the slide, in the slide port?

SA,

I'm a little confused what does the current version of the Vanek trigger that has repositioned trigger pivot pin have to do with the USPSA Limited Division?

Last time I read the USPSA rules (1/2004 Edition page 95 conditions 17, 18) they stated that External Modifications that add weight are not legal, but there is nothing that states you can’t modify the slide.

For example you can port a slide (Lightens, Faster Cycling) in the Limited Division which is an external mod. So why couldn’t you add internal weight by lets say welding? As long as the weight that’s being added is not an external mod the rules state its ok.

short answer,

I use a 24 with added weight in the slide. i can get .08 splits out of it and I use less powder than I did in my 5 inch sti .

with tight group this is the softest flatest limited gun I have shot of any manufacture.

Is adding weight to the slide legal for Limited? The rule here seems like it might fall into the "Vanek trigger" arena; external weight is not allowed, internal mods for 'reliability'....

Also, How was the weight added to the slide, in the slide port?

The way the rules read for limited you can build a gun that is all or parts from a manufacture that offers parts to the general public as long as parts and or complete guns has been manufactured in quantities of 500 or more from the original manufacturer.

what I did was order a caspian with out any cuts made in the front I dovetailed a front site and frenched in a set of bomars. With the stainless guide rod I gained 2 oz up front

which makes the gun supper flat and very soft.

In reality I spent so much time with this gun last year I am faster with it than my open gun. I have since started shooting my open gun alot 600 rnds a week and I will be up to speed in a few matches.

I feel that a guy can spend a lot of time and effort on getting the perfect gun but what realy makes the difference is getting to the range and putting alot of rounds thru what you will be shooting. There are alot of suttle diferences that you will get used to like timing and returns that are only worked out withy alot of practice. switching around alot will only slow your progress with one particular gun. I had to learn this the hard way.I had to choose this year open or limited . my choice was to go after an m card in open. I cant do both.

The same will apply with production or limited. to take things to the limit of your ability

one must focus on one or the other. the timming and returns are much diferent in a minor and major gun. add to that the diferences in the limited and production game and mind set and one can be left bewildered.

MHO

Here is what I use, although I have heard some good things about the 24.

Glock-35 Tactical/Practical

Sights: Dawson Precision adj. Rear, fiber optic front

Springs: Wolff 14# recoil, Wolff 4# striker

Trigger: Lightning Strike Aluminum- polished, Wolff extra power return spring

Connector: Glockmeister- polished

Guide rod: T.H.E., Ext. Tungston

Barrel: 5.3” SS KKM match

Safety: Lightning Strike titanium plunger, reduced power Wolff spring

Slide Stop: Lone Wolf hardchromed std length, hardchromed 3-pin kit

Striker: OEM-Modified/polished

Finish: Hard Chromed, forward cocking serrations (NHO)

Grips: Tru-Grip- Eric Wesselman

Magazine release: Aro-Tec Extended aluminum

Magwell: S&J Custom, aluminum

Modifications: Rounded and relieved trigger guard, shortened trigger pre-travel

Magazines: OEM Hi-capacity

Basepads: Arrendondo +5, red

Belt: CR-Speed- red

Holter: CR-Speed- red

Mag Pouch: CR-Speed- red

post-5009-1139356702_thumb.jpg[attac

ment=3771:attachment]

post-5009-1139356739_thumb.jpg

I'm late to the party but that's a very nice looking G35! Mine is set up pretty similar. I want to refinish the slide and can't decide between NP3 and Hard Chrome. The Lightning Strike Aluminum trigger cosmetic or function?

Again very nice.

SA,

I'm a little confused what does the current version of the Vanek trigger that has repositioned trigger pivot pin have to do with the USPSA Limited Division?

Last time I read the USPSA rules (1/2004 Edition page 95 conditions 17, 18) they stated that External Modifications that add weight are not legal, but there is nothing that states you can’t modify the slide.

For example you can port a slide (Lightens, Faster Cycling) in the Limited Division which is an external mod. So why couldn’t you add internal weight by lets say welding? As long as the weight that’s being added is not an external mod the rules state its ok.

I used it as an example, not a direct correlation. I didn't know how the rule is interpreted in this area and figured if anyone would know it was John. So, I asked. Nothing personal, and no implication of wrongdoing on my part. I'm simply a newbie trying to figure out the rules.

The correlation simply was everyone believed the Vanek trigger to be production legal, and then Poof. I couldn't tell after reading the string and then the rules (same ones) if this was OK to do in Limited, or if I was reading into the rules.

It's all good :rolleyes: I have a huge way to go till I get to limited or open. I just want to understand when I get there.