Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Want To Know About The Super Squad?

Steve Anderson

Part of the new book, Principles of Performance, will have a brief description of my first experience on the Open and Production Super Squads of the 05 nationals. I plan to include the things I would have wanted to know about them...

What would you be interested in knowing about the super squad experience?

SA

Edited by Steve Anderson

Equipment.

Do what golf publications do called "What's in the Bag."

If they're willing to share (especially if they're on staff, or sponsored, etc.,) I'd like to find out what they're using from everything including gun, holster and accessories, even load data if they care to.

I think many of the forum members already know but there have to be more like me who don't and would be interested.

What's the tone and mood of the squad. Friendly? Tense? Combative? Were they standoff-ish to the newbie on the squad? How'd you deal with the jitters that likely went with shooting w/ the super squad the first time? Were there feelings of being watched by *everyone*?? Do you think you would have shot a better match being squadded away from (for that match - and for later matches)?? What did you learn from being on the squad?

How does one get on the super squad? ;) Don't give me the directions to Carnegie Hall :) I mean, how good does one have to be, and then who do you have to schmooze??

I might think of more.... :lol:

--Do they work out together, the best way to run a stage or at least discuss their plans??

--What do they do to mentaly do to prepare to shoot a stage?

--If they have a reshoot, do they do it immediately or do they prefer to move to the back of the line?

--Do they work out together, the best way to run a stage or at least discuss their plans??

--What do they do to mentaly do to prepare to shoot a stage?

--If they have a reshoot, do they do it immediately or do they prefer to move to the back of the line?

How many different ways did you see shooters prepare for a stage?

Where folks using stop watches as part of stage prep?

What kind of head games did you notice the super squad members playing during the match?

What may be instructive as well is "how do they approach the stages in general, given this is a big match with a lot of stages?" and "when the race tightens up, does that approach change any for the front-runner? 2nd/3rd? also-rans?"

It was interesting being on the SS with Eric last weekend-- after the first day, he knew he had no real competition at the match, but he didn't slow down much, if at all. A couple times we got him to go balls-out on stages he probably wouldn't have had he not been up 200 points.

A couple times we got him to go balls-out on stages he probably wouldn't have had he not been up 200 points.

Hmmm... that's a new strategy I'll have to try at the local matches. If getting one's butt kicked, try to convince the leaders to totally blow it....

D'oh... forgot. Shred is one of the leaders, so.... :D

Well.. "got" was defined as "gave him enough cr@p or put up enough cash". No way he'd crash hard enough to let us by.

Stage 17 was the classic-- I think I posted that one over on the Columbus Cup thread.

How many of them keep up with everyone else's current match scores? Does their match points influence how they shoot a stage?

How hard does each grip the pistol? Do they all still dry-fire alot?

Glad Steve is going to pull all this stuff together into a book. As always, he knows the questions to ask.

Interesting thing though. First, I'm surprised it's never been asked as a forum question before since we have probably 15 or 20 folks in here that have been on the super squad at least once. But the best part is that Steve's work is really done. All the answer lie in here, deep in the crevases but they are here. Steve will obviously pull it all together and make it digestable - but I love the fact that sometimes we're too close to the trees to actually see the forest.

J

Good points Jack.

Here it goes, I never had the balls to ask this question in person, but ... I'm pretty sure I witnessed the outline of the infamous Di Vita-Thong on several SpSq members.

Soooo....my question would be, does this uh...."device" actually increase transition-times like I've been told? I have 4 of these vibrant colored thingies now and NONE of them have shown measurable improvement in my scores!

Seriously, good project Steve. ;)

If they had their choice, how many would prefer to shoot on a less-dominant squad rather than the SS?

• 4 weeks later...

great idea steve.

another thread talks about extra/make up shots by the SS members. i know a lot of times they make up a shot b/c they didnt "see" what they needed to see on the previous shot (or they "saw" a D or a miss). but do they also plan extra shots, for instance at swingers? if so, is it common, or pretty rare?

do they change their plans after watching other shooters shoot a stage?

do they keep quiet about an alternate way of shooting a stage if they're shooting near the end of the squad. on one of the stages on the 05 open nats video (not in my yard?) jo jo and TJ run the stage differently and skip a drop turner. is that something that was discussed, and the others decided against trying it?

would you rather shoot on the SS, or with your buddies? i went to the nationals last year for the first time, and had the best time ever...shooting with my friends (i'm not good enough for the SS anyway...). is there more tension on the SS, such that it's not as much fun? i know most of them know each other...but are they friendly enough to give each other crap when they screw up?