Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Production Gun Would Feed 147hhp, 1.160 Oal

John Baier

Advice needed

Ok I'm shooting production this year. I currently running a LTT Beretta Elite II pushing a Zero 147jhp, VV310 loaded to 1.160 oal. Shortening the rounds are not an option. Right now thanks to my gun butler I have over 10,000 rounds already rolled. The Elite feeds fine but....I really hate the DA/SA setup and the NPA is not there like with all the other guns that I have used. I feel the DA costs me at least 2 to 3 tenths compared to shooting a glock or 1911 platform. I like Glocks and have had a few including a G34, but they are a little on the light side for me. And I also a little worried about running a heavy bullet with fast burning powder in a unsupported barrel.

So, my question is what gun would you recommend that can shoot that particular lod, would have a natural point, and a good trigger

Thanks for you help

John

Put them back in the press and push them in to 1.140 nominal and then the longest ones won't be over 1.145 and then you can shoot them in the Glock or whatever you want. I couldn't get consistant feeding at 1.150 in Glock mags in my G34 and had to go shorter with the Zero 147 JHP.

You might find that an STI or a P18 Para might feed them but someone else will have to confirm that as I am just guessing that the mags are longer.

Rick

Well, I would see what guns you like, and then just put the rounds in the magazine. I run about the same load to 1.130 +/- .005 with FMJ, and JHPs are shorter, so 1.140 would be about the same. I have no problem in my Beretta, XD, GLock, or my STI 9x19. Unless you will have over pressure problems with the amount of powder you have in there you might get by with shortening the OAL down like Rick suggested. I would try that first.

Good luck,

DougC

Not sure what your load is, but you should be able to shorten the OAL a bit. Some Glock shooters load to a 1.145" OAL. I never went the VV route, too expensive. Does not perform any better than Titegroup. The unsupported barrel is one of the oldest internet myths. Ranks up there with lead bullets, firing out of battery and kabooms.

You can get a 1 lb pull with a Glock trigger if needed. I have settled on a short crisp 1 1/2 lb pull.

My CZ would feed them, and I suspect most CZ's would.

How's the trigger pull?

Mine is decent, but all I've done is replaced the mainspring and shot it about 20,000 and dryfire'ed some more. However if you get one of the trigger jobs that the team CZ guys do you will have a very sweet trigger indeed. I've played with one and it felt really nice.

Thanks guys,

I've been looking at the XD, CZP01 and trying the G34 again. I've been shooting 1911's for the most part and I'm spoiled with SA pull.

I'm worrried about an increase in preasure if I shorten them.

The longest OAL that you can get to function in an XD mag is 1.150 and its pretty tight.

I don't have any 147gr bullets..but I ran some 115FMJ out to 1.160 and they feed and chamber fine in my CZ SP01..some room to spare in the mags..did not feel and resistance or tightness when chambering either..

Ive used 147 precision bullets with 2.8 international clays in CZ 75 and the Para LDA

both 9mm, from the Sig people I understand they work good in ther stuff also.

Got a lot of ;) rounds through the 9mm LDA the Air Force shooter Major Roger

Sherman has 75,000 rounds through one, he went to the Sig for the World Shoot.

Jim

Sailors custom

I don't have any 147gr bullets..but I ran some 115FMJ out to 1.160 and they feed and chamber fine in my CZ SP01..some room to spare in the mags..did not feel and resistance or tightness when chambering either..

Eric, How do you like your SP01? I've heard good things about them.

Eric, How do you like your SP01? I've heard good things about them.

LOVE the SP01....I love the grip angle..very comfortable..the gun points perfectly.. The balance is great..even with the long dustcover and full rails..The stock barrel is fantastically accurate..CZ-USA and Angus can set you up with a great set of sights..and Angus or Matt Mink can really do an action job..

If we ever cross paths..you are welcome to shoot mine..

Best

stuart

The EERW is my son's initials..when I started all these forum things. i took him as my signon as he is my pride and joy..

You indicate that several thou rounds you have already contain 3.3 grns; I would not shorten those any due to pressure. The internal ballistics program Quickload would SUGGEST that loading shorter than 1.160 with that much N310 could cause pressure problems. -again, just a Quickload SUGGESTION until someone actually pressure tests N310/147 loads.

My preferred load for years has been 3.2 grns between 1.140 and 1.155" (Zero JHP). In my CZ magazines (latest 15 and 16 round MecGars) any longer than 1.155 can sometimes get hung up in the mag. Two close friends earned their A cards with this load and combined we probably have loaded 30K of this combination; I set up all 3 of our 650s with Lee brand U or Undersized dies. If you shoot a long barreled Glock 34, you could probably make PF with 3.1 or possibly even 3.0 grns.

If you shoot a long barreled Glock 34, you could probably make PF with 3.1 or possibly even 3.0 grns.
i'm currently using 147 zero jhp over 3.0 of N310 @ 1.150" (w/ a few getting close to 1.155) through a glock 34 (13 lb recoil spring with 2 coils clipped off)(pf is very reliably 130) and everything works just fine.

having 10k rounds already loaded is a serious consideration, and i dont know enough to offer any useful advice for what to do with them (personally, i think i'd keep using the same setup if i were in your position)...if nothing else, it points out the necessity of making darn sure youre happy with your gun/load combination if you plan on loading that much at once. i have 8k rounds sitting on my shelf right now, and plan on making 6k more in this week.

I've been looking at the XD, CZP01 and trying the G34 again. I've been shooting 1911's for the most part and I'm spoiled with SA pull.

Have you considered an Para LDA. Should be very familiar to a 1911 shooter and you can get the triggers super light.

I've also got a CZ-75B with factory mags that has no problems with 125 RNLs loaded to 1.16".

SAAMI spec for 9x19 OAL is 1.169". I'm mystified that factory guns won't work with standard spec ammo. I don't know how much bullet design weighs in on this, though.

John,

You could just dry-fire and get used to that DA first shot...you half-a-sissy-you. :P

One shot per stage isn't all that much.

Now, go practice....or I shall taunt you a second time.

:lol::lol::lol:B)

Edited by John Baier

• 2 weeks later...