Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coronary Bypass Surgury

dajarrel

I know I must sound like I'm crazy for putting this in the "What I Like" forum, but even though it hurts like the very devil and looks like someone took a chainsaw to my chest and leg, bypass surgery has saved my life and probably extended it by many, many years.

Maybe some time I'll write it all down, but suffice it to say, it was an ordeal. I came home Thursday and sometimes you just cannot describe how the look of your home makes you feel. My shooting buddies were there for me in the hospital with family and friends and I look forward to shooting soon (doctor said in 6-8 wks)

For you folks in the medical field, a BIG THANK YOU. But if I ever have a nurse come at me wanting a blood sample again and she says" Big Stick" (refering to the stick of the needle)....she goes my list. I ain't decided what to do with that list yet!!!!!!!

Sittin' here recuperating.

dj

ps only thing I'm really disappointed at is that I'm going to miss the Alabama Sectional (probably) as it is about 8 wks away. I had been practicing with my revolver seeing as Sam wasn't going to be shooting revo. OH Well, There's next year.

And now I have one :)

dj

"....saved my life and probably extended it by many, many years."

Dang sure sounds like a "What I LIke," to me! Wow! Lots of Jello and Ice Cream and more years to live to boot. Ya can't beat that. ;)

Keep your zipper closed - That is the stiches in your chest. :D

That's DEFINITELY--very definitely--a "what I like" story, you betcha!!! Happy recovery to you and all the comforts of your home. (Yes, the hospital room can get tiresome once you start feeling better).

The medical technology out there amazes me. A lot of us have had a lot of this or that kind of surgery and much of it has now become reliable and routine--including the 'big surgeries'. Thank God. B)

Keep us posted! Keep handling your guns now and then--I did while recuperating from a 'big' one three years ago. I just dry-fired, handled 'em and cleaned 'em repeatedly until I could physically get back to the range. :D

Well thanks for the replies and PM's. Handling or lifting the guns aren/t the problem right now. The Doctors said I can't lift anything greater than 10 pounds. None of my handguns exceed that!!!!

Right now it is movement. If I sit, I get stiff and if I move around, I get sore. So I try to maintain a balance between sore stiffness :lol:

I have every intention of being a model patient. If my doctor says no more shooting.....I'll just have to find another one. :)

I suspect that I will have to wear sunshades when I open my safe soon. After I get them all clean, the gleam will blind me. It may be a good time to take that group picture.

Again, Thanks

dj

By-pass surgery is no fun! I had a triple in 1998 and lucked out in that the Dr. didn't have to harvest a vein from my leg and instead took it from my chest. So walking wasn't much of a problem. But did my chest ever hurt, especially when coughing, sneezing or laughing. I wish you all the best and hope that you recover soon. But keep checking with the Dr. about pistol shooting. He may have some concerns about the recoil.

Wow...glad to hear it's all going well. I hope your recovery is quick. During those eight weeks of down time, you can always watch lots of shooting vids and visualize perfect stages! There's more than one way to practice.

Hey DJ

Welcome to the club. I had my 3 way done almost 7 years ago. Now if I can only loose another 20 lbs I'll be able to catch the other half when I'm chasing her around upstairs.

I hope for a quick recovery (at least by the Mississippi Classic in May). I will be glad to come down from Jackson and take care of your pistols. I would not want them to be neglected.

Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the offer but I am trying to keep them all properly fondled until such time as they can ride in the holster again. I still stand at the safe door and dryfire them. :D

I hope to start extended dryfire next week.

carinab,

lots of time to read and "contemplate" the great mysteries of shooting like, "I wonder just how long that Little Debbie oatmeal cookie has been in the bottom of my range bag? :lol:"

dj

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

Today is three weeks since the surgeon fileted me and Thursday he gave me my drivers licence back. Whoo Hoo!!!!

I never understood the idea of cabin fever. Now I do. You can only watch so much tv (so much drivel, 80 channels and nothing to watch) or read or sleep.

Anyway, he also said that I can shoot. He and I decided to start with the 9mm instead of the .45 revolver. But he said I could work up to it. I'm going to try to make a match this morning.

My energy reserves aren't up yet, but they are getting better all the time.

Now if I still didn't feel like I have been hit by a train. :wacko:

dj

Well,

I didn't shoot today. I got to the range and it was real muddy. I didn't want to slip an bust something. But I saw some shooting buddies and that made the trip worthwhile.

:D

dj

Going there, meeting shooting buddies is priceless. It's your first step to full recovery.

My mentor/shooting buddie survived cancer...after a year of recovery we are shooting again together! In our club matches it's him or me....first-second.

He's still around and I thank God for that.

Don't know you in IRL, DJ but I wish you all the best.

Game's on.... ;)

Henny.