Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I have an old Dremel knock-off that's on it's last legs.

I use them rarley, but want enough power to do the job... my Rem 1100CM is calling..

Any recommendations for a good one?

hand held? Flex Shaft? cordless?

Edited by BerKim

I can't remember the model, but I went to Home Depot and bought the biggest kit they had. Came with a flexishaft and everything -AND with all kinds of wheels and grinders too . There are no limit to the number of things I can (* up with this baby. .

I can't remember the model, but I went to Home Depot and bought the biggest kit they had. Came with a flexishaft and everything -AND with all kinds of wheels and grinders too . There are no limit to the number of things I can (* up with this baby. .

:lol: ...Isn't it funny how sometimes guns call out to dremel tools? In all honesty, they are quite handy and very useful if used carefuly and in moderation. I use a Dremel brand without a flex shaft but I really would like to get one. Back when I was a mold maker, a pencil grinder was an invaluable tool along with the proper stones for fitting molds together and polishing.

I would go with the flex shaft and get a plug-in model with variable speed.

Edited by TCK

I have two - the cheapest one that's A/C powered, but no speed control or flexshaft. And, a low speed battery powered model - 5K and 10K rpm. Handy for stuff where you can't take the other one. But, I find both lacking. Get an A/C powered one w/ speed control built in, at a minimum. I imagine the flex shaft is handy, too. Just my thoughts, anyway :)

I do like the flex shaft. When you have something clamped in a vise you can maneuver it better than the entire body and also have more options to brace and steady your hand when doing detail work. I think that the RPM control is a mandatory feature.

I have a regular (corded) Dremel and a Lithium Ion Cordless model. Both are great. The cordless one holds a charge for a looonnnng time and has tons of power just like the corded model. I wouldn't have bought the cordless either but the kids gave it to me as a gift and I really like it. The only downside is that it is even bulkier than the corded model. Of course a nice flexshaft would solve that problem.

-ld

Get the corded model and a flex shaft. Also I can't recommend enough the drill press fixture. Not only does it turn the thing into a decent small drill press, but it also does a great job at holding the dremel stable and in one place while you are using the flex shaft.

Years ago I had a ni-cad cordless. It was worthless.

I guess the newer Lithium Ion is better ?

I like the standard 120 VAC varible speed Dremel.

Yeah the ni-cads were awful. The new Lithium Ion models have long battery life and lots of power. There is even a low battery indicator on the dremel that gives you a little heads up that things are about to go south. I still use my corded model the most though. It is smaller and I leave it setup near my workbench in the garage for most dremeling needs. The battery operated model mainly gets used for projects away from the workbench (the yard, the dog, etc.....)

-ld

That's the one that got me thinking of the flex shaft.

Just not sure if it's useful or a gimick?

Seems like others use theirs, but I have yet to use mine. I guess I am not handy enough, or don't have enough guns, or have the wrong genes... :D

ni-cad cordless ones are worthless. I guess the new lithium ion ones are supposed to be better, but I haven't used one. Regardless, because of the extra bulk, I went with one of the corded ones in a kit that includes a flex shaft. I love the flex shaft attachment. It allows me to have more control when doing certain things.

If you wanna splurge, get a Foredom. All sorts of different people use

'em...duck decoy carvers, jewelers, etc.

It is a true separate motor that hangs up on in the air on whatever and then a flex shaft carries the umph down to a hand unit. Lots more power, and probably more choices when it comes to beefier burs and wheels and such.

They even come with a foot control and variable speed.

Try this first:

http://woodcraft.com/search/search.aspx?query=foredom

and this:

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=932

and this:

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=934

Don't have one, just lusted after one for about 10 years now. Kinda like how I lust after a Tormek sharpener.

Like I said, if you wanna splurge. Of course, Brownell's or Midway might have 'em for cheaper.

Chills

Maybe something costing less would work for you.

True, I don't spend hours each day with the dremel but for my general and grinding on guns purposes the one that Harbor Freight carries seems to be working just fine - it's been 2 or 3 years so far.

My only complaint with my Dremel is that it won't quit working. My wife bought it and a fist full of tools and collets in the early 80's and it's like the energizer bunny....It won't quit. Variable speed in a tan box with the tools laid out around the perimiter.

The flex shaft one seems to call to me as it may occupy less bench space.

FWIW

dj

FYI, I went to Home Depot to get a flex shaft for polishing my mags (and for other use of course) and saw the new Dremel XP400 package with the shaft, planer and two other attachments for only $99.95 ($220.00 if bought separately). The flex shaft alone cost $59.95.