Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Case Lube

urnsrus

Somewhere on this group, the Hornady One Shot was highly recommended. I bought a can, and so far really like it vs. the Dillion. It doesn't seem nearly as heavy. Two questions:

1) When using Hornady, does everyone clean their loads after loading, if so, how and with what?

2) Hornady One Shot is damn expensive. I know that I didn't buy it at the most economical place, but it was $7.50 for the small size canister. Therefore, where is a good place to buy it reasonably?

David Adams

Somewhere on this group, the Hornady One Shot was highly recommended. I bought a can, and so far really like it vs. the Dillion. It doesn't seem nearly as heavy. Two questions:

1) When using Hornady, does everyone clean their loads after loading, if so, how and with what?

2) Hornady One Shot is damn expensive. I know that I didn't buy it at the most economical place, but it was $7.50 for the small size canister. Therefore, where is a good place to buy it reasonably?

David Adams

1) A few minutes in the vibratory cleaner with fine corn cob media

2) It might be expensive, but I find that can lasts quite a while, too. I think it has been over a year since I purchased my last can and I've likely loaded 10k rounds, give or take?

Thanks Dave. The only problem I have been having with that type of cleaning is that with the JHP the media gets stuck in the opening. Would that interfere with accuracy? If not, one of the older methods I have used is putting the rounds in a white cotton sock, pour some thinner on it, shake like hell and pour them back out. They dry in seconds and are clean....however, don't do that in your house...or you will be calling State Farm!! You home or on the road again?

Thanks Dave. The only problem I have been having with that type of cleaning is that with the JHP the media gets stuck in the opening. Would that interfere with accuracy?

I've found that if you use fine corncob, that isn't an issue. At least with the JHP's I use (Star).

I feel like my kid. I tell him something that is good advice and he does it his way anyhow. I was told not to tumble my hollow points but didn't like the results I was getting wipping them off so I threw them in the tumbler. My media was absolutely stuck in the hollow point (Zero 9mm, 147 grain jhp). I took them out into the garage with a compressor and still couldn't get that stuff out of the hollow points with 140 psi. I shot 200 rounds the other day with media in the hollow point. :wacko:

I think that it was Eric that said to take an old bath towel, put Iso Alcohol on it and rub the rounds between two layers of the towel. If you have FMJ or TMJ I think tumbling would be the way to go.

I put Hornady One shot on very lightly but still want it off before I shoot it.

Rick

I have found that using fine walnut media with some laquer thinner in it for about 10min. in the tumbler cleans off the Dillon lube (or One shot) and doesnt plug up the hollowpoint due to the smaller particle size. Give that a try! DougC

I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't clean the dried one-shot off my loaded rounds at all. Nor do I tumble my rounds, either for this purpose or any other. I do wash and dry the cases before treating with One-Shot or any other lube, but that's about it.

I'm aware of no negative consequences. Am I not noticing something?

+1 on the towel.

I find that, the way I store ammo, it can get sticky if I don't take off the One Shot.

I also use isopropyl alcohol. A spritz from a hand sprayer onto the towel, dump on the ammo, another spritz and then a quick rub and you're done.

+1 on the light application - you don't have to get every case because the amount of lube left on the die actually is enough for a least a couple dry cases. (I still take off what's left, though).

Another method of cleaning with a towel........lay the towel out flat, put a couple hundred rounds on it, grab the end corners and "roll" the ammo back and forth a few times in the towel. Works like a charm and no extra chemicals to buy. I tried the tumbler routine, and ran into problems with the media in hollow points getting into the gun during firing! :angry:

Alan~^~

• 3 weeks later...

I use Dillon lube since I ran out of One Shot. I tumble in corn cob 10-15 minutes then without media for 5-10 minutes (or as long as I can stand the noise!). I figure anything that is still stuck won't come out in the gun.

• 1 month later...

weve been using one shot for about 2 years and dont like reloading with out it .we used to tumble them but any more we dont tumble at all and havnt had any problems shooting them out of a glock or smith revolver

I "discovered" One shot here on this forum and wouldn't reload without it now! I don't tumble the ammo after, it doesn't seem to be a problem. May even make it easier to run through the mags.

What "they" need to invent now is a One shot spray that cleans the casings and lube at the same time. Do away with the media, tumbler, "bird cage", etc.

Whoever "they" is, could make a lot of money on that product. ;)