Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue bullets/Bayou Bullets?

Hi, I'm on my last case of Precision Bullets 125gr coated bullets, and have been looking at alternatives. Any good/bad things to say about Blue Bullets or Bayou Bullets, w.r.t. quality, delivery times, etc?

https://thebluebullets.com/product/3600-9mm-125-gr-rn-free-shipping/

https://bayoubullets.net/9mm-124-gr-rn-500-ct/

Plan is to get a small quantity and try them out, before committing to cases.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Throwing another one into the mix, Brass Monkey Bullets in Tennessee. I've shot 10k now in Open and Carry Optics. Coating is very good so no build up in comp or leading in barrels. 

Customer service is great as well. I had half a case show up, instead of a full one, and emailed them about it. Jason got back to me within two hours and shipped out the full case same day. 

I like both the blue and bayou bullets. I used to shoot a lot of the bayou 135gr RN bullets for 3gun and uspsa using Titegroup.

I recently switched to 147gr FP blue bullets and N320.

It's a great combo.

The reason I tried the blues, is I started chasing my tail with bayou bullets and the coating getting shaved upon seating, which created some minor leading issues.

I could never really hone in on why it started happening.

I tried more bell, less bell, different powder through expanders and even added a station PRE expansion with a belling die to give the brass a slight flare. Tried different seating dies. Felt like I had tried everything.

The coating on the blues seems a bit thicker and more durable. Have not had a single round get the coating shaved.

Both bullets are very accurate.

I currently lean towards the blues.

have ordered from Bayou multiple times,, they tell you if they are in stock.. If you dont care about color they come quicker,, but I have never had an order take more than a few days to ship or had any issues with them.
I use Bayou and Missouri bullets pretty much exclusivly..  Mo has a couple shapes I cant get in other places. 

30 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

have ordered from Bayou multiple times,, they tell you if they are in stock.. If you dont care about color they come quicker,, but I have never had an order take more than a few days to ship or had any issues with them.
I use Bayou and Missouri bullets pretty much exclusivly..  Mo has a couple shapes I cant get in other places. 

+1. I have shot lots of Blues but I find I keep going back to Bayou. I usually buy the 3K case. The coating is better than the original green. I tend to color code for different diameters to keep it simple.

1 hour ago, PaleoMan said:

Plan is to get a small quantity and try them out, before committing to cases.

I've loaded thousands of Blues, Summit, Brass Monkey, and other brands. There is only one I won't use, but won't mention the name here.

Personal opinion is Brass Monkey has fantastic customer service and I've loaded and shot at least 30K of theirs. 

Overall the best coated bullet is made by Blues. Very consistent in weight, size and coating (I've shot them in both the smurf and new coating) does not come off.

However, for the price and service BM are my goto these days.

1 hour ago, savagemann said:

I like both the blue and bayou bullets. I used to shoot a lot of the bayou 135gr RN bullets for 3gun and uspsa using Titegroup.

I recently switched to 147gr FP blue bullets and N320.

It's a great combo.

The reason I tried the blues, is I started chasing my tail with bayou bullets and the coating getting shaved upon seating, which created some minor leading issues.

I could never really hone in on why it started happening.

I tried more bell, less bell, different powder through expanders and even added a station PRE expansion with a belling die to give the brass a slight flare. Tried different seating dies. Felt like I had tried everything.

The coating on the blues seems a bit thicker and more durable. Have not had a single round get the coating shaved.

Both bullets are very accurate.

I currently lean towards the blues.

Good info. What brand of press do you use? I'm using a Dillon 650.

I'll be using this with PCC (Steel Challenge) and CO (IPDA). Right now, I have a ton of CFE Pistol powder, and have been using 125gr for years, so will likely stick with that weight. I was thinking a bit about 147gr, but not sure if CFE will work well with it (a slower powder).

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

Do you find that you need to modify your setup with the different diameters?  I've been using Precision Bullets for many years. I think they are 0.356", but I do see that some brands are 0.355" and some 0.356".

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, HesedTech said:

I've loaded thousands of Blues, Summit, Brass Monkey, and other brands. There is only one I won't use, but won't mention the name here.

Personal opinion is Brass Monkey has fantastic customer service and I've loaded and shot at least 30K of theirs. 

Overall the best coated bullet is made by Blues. Very consistent in weight, size and coating (I've shot them in both the smurf and new coating) does not come off.

However, for the price and service BM are my goto these days.

Good info. I see Blue mentioning about discounts for subscriptions. Have you ever done that?

Right now for pricing, I see:

Summit City https://summitcitybullets.com/ $271.00 3500 $0.077 124gr RN coated
Brass monkey bullets https://brassmonkeybullets.com/ $271.30 3500 $0.078 125gr RN coated
Bayou Bullets http://www.bayoubullets.net/ $285.25 3500 $0.082 124gr RN coated
Blue Bullets https://thebluebullets.com/ $306.00 3600 $0.085 125gr RN coated

Edited by PaleoMan
Missing one entry

Do you find that you need to modify your setup with the different diameters?  I've been using Precision Bullets for many years. I think they are 0.356", but I do see that some brands are 0.355" and some 0.356".

I think blues are 355... Everything I load is 356 in 9mm or 358 in 38 short colt.  I would think you may need to adjust your taper crimp a bit...
I wouldnt even bother playing around with small quantities,, all the major players are pretty similar and will work fine for action sports. 

I am a happy camper using Blue Bullets. I have used their .355 125 gr TC profile for many rounds. Recently changed to .356 125 gr TC profile and not sure I can tell a difference in accuracy but I just ordered more.

In changing between the 2 sizes I did not have to change the case bell or crimp.

The Blue Bullets company has good CS and shipping which is a plus.

3 hours ago, PaleoMan said:

Good info. I see Blue mentioning about discounts for subscriptions. Have you ever done that?

Right now for pricing, I see:

Summit City https://summitcitybullets.com/ $271.00 3500 $0.077 124gr RN coated
Brass monkey bullets https://brassmonkeybullets.com/ $271.30 3500 $0.078 125gr RN coated
Bayou Bullets http://www.bayoubullets.net/ $285.25 3500 $0.082 124gr RN coated
Blue Bullets https://thebluebullets.com/ $306.00 3600 $0.085 125gr RN coated

I’ve never done the subscriptions, but never pay full price for bluebullets. There are many ways to get 5%-12% off regular price. 

Same for the rest, it’s pretty much an industry standard that the listed price is not the actual price….

yeh I dont want stuff auto shipping to me.. My interests change off an on over the years.. Seems someone always has a sale or something going on.

16 hours ago, Rich406 said:

I’ve never done the subscriptions, but never pay full price for bluebullets. There are many ways to get 5%-12% off regular price. 

Same for the rest, it’s pretty much an industry standard that the listed price is not the actual price….

Those were prices I saw on the companys' web-sites. I didn't see any discounts, other than free shipping.  If you have thoughts on how to get discounts, I'm all ears!

21 hours ago, PaleoMan said:

Good info. What brand of press do you use? I'm using a Dillon 650.

I'll be using this with PCC (Steel Challenge) and CO (IPDA). Right now, I have a ton of CFE Pistol powder, and have been using 125gr for years, so will likely stick with that weight. I was thinking a bit about 147gr, but not sure if CFE will work well with it (a slower powder).

I've been loading lee loadmaster presses since the 1990's. 5 stations.

I also tried the 135gr blues. They were good, but the 147s work so well in my g17 carry optics setup, there is no way I'm changing anytime soon.

Edited by savagemann

Those were prices I saw on the companys' web-sites. I didn't see any discounts, other than free shipping.  If you have thoughts on how to get discounts, I'm all ears!

There are discounts listed under the sponsorships and discounts page. The minimum discount is 5%, and there are larger discounts if you buy atleast 10k bullets. 

I’ve been using blue bullets since 2014 and never had a reason to switch 

I alway buy them during their Black Friday when they have the best discount 

I got some 327’s in a box of other stuff I bought and while not a coated bullet (lube/gas check) they are cast really nice. Last time I checked the web site was not working but looks like things are going now. 

4 hours ago, Farmer said:

I had to bump up the blues to .356 to get the accuracy too. 

I think at one time they (blues) only had .355,,   or only had .355 as standard in stock.. why  I passed them on by and went to Bayou last time. Not much reason to switch I guess.. As mentioned since I bought from Bayou before I usually have a sale add in my email box when I get ready to buy more. Right now about all I am using is .358, 147 round nose for 38 short colt.

12 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

I think at one time they (blues) only had .355,,   or only had .355 as standard in stock.. why  I passed them on by and went to Bayou last time. Not much reason to switch I guess.. As mentioned since I bought from Bayou before I usually have a sale add in my email box when I get ready to buy more. Right now about all I am using is .358, 147 round nose for 38 short colt.

I started with Precision was happy with them and wish I had bought more before they closed. When I went to place an re-order they were already done. Very accurate & reasonable. Was hoping someone would start them back up again. 

7 hours ago, Rich406 said:

There are discounts listed under the sponsorships and discounts page. The minimum discount is 5%, and there are larger discounts if you buy atleast 10k bullets. 

Thanks! I didn't know that!

30 minutes ago, Farmer said:

I started with Precision was happy with them and wish I had bought more before they closed. When I went to place an re-order they were already done. Very accurate & reasonable. Was hoping someone would start them back up again. 

I've been happy with the Precision Bullets, but the last box I bought of 9mm 125gr (near when they closed) actually had about 30 230gr .45 ACP bullets mixed in!