Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pocket Knives

norbs007

I noticed most shooters got some kind of a pocket knife clipped on them, but in all the years shooting IPSC I still haven't shot a stage that required the use of one. I'm only asking 'coz somebody told me that it's for stages that requires one. I know there's the dark house that requires a flashlight, so can a stage be designed to have something for a knife? Thanks.

I've never used mine in a stage, I have used it a lot for opening packages and cutting miscellaneous things. I've seen plenty of shooters use it as a tool when working on their guns at the range.

The concept is to use the knife during an emergency: a stuck casing inside the barrel or some other gun malfunction during a course of fire. Hopefully it's not a speed shoot, then you're SOL :P . Otherwise, it's always handy to have a knife on you (unless you are at TSA line in the airport :lol: .

Used to be in some older versions of the rules you could use tools to clear stuck cases and the like. I think that's where the root of it comes from, though I've never even had to do that. I carry a small folder everyday just for opening and cutting things.

Thanks guys! I was actually thinking of starting a stage where you have to cut something to retrieve the gun. Starting the folder close and clipped on the person. Just having second thoughts due to safety issues. It would be exciting to see different techniques in opening a folder fast :) .

Never heard of a COF for USPSA but have heard of it at an IDPA shoot. I carry a blade every day, the utility of the tool is something that if you don't carry one you seem to get by without one. If you start to carry one, it seems that you can't live without it.

I carry a Leatherman Wave in the shooting box and it is the cat's meow for the range bag.

Blades and guns go together like fish and chips.

Rick

Hmm,

SOG Paratool

Small Swiss Army knife

Medium Swiss Army knife, with the precision screwdriver set

Sheffield folder that takes utility knife blades

I used to carry an old CRKT folder too but figured it was redundant.

Edited by iainmcphersn

We shot a stage at the Dbl Tap championship where you started with your hands on a wooden full size uspsa target that had a 6" piece of starfoam

attached to it , at the buzzer you had to take you knife and stabb the

block of foam and then shoot the stage, there were penealties if

the knife fell out , ws a blast of a stage and I am glad that I carry

a emerson comander because bringing this knife into action is to say

Very Fast... and it gets the job done....

I carry and use one daily- have seen a knife start mounted in pumkin- upon start, draw knife with both hands, put aside, pick up rifle and engage targets.

Also, there was an IDPA COF I heard about that started with a "victim" in a car- seatbelt could NOT be undone by usual method- you were required to free and remove victim from vehicle within set time prior to engaging targets with pistol- from what I heard, only one person figured it out..."cut" the seatbelt (the SO stopped them from actually performing the cut and told them to proceed). I shoot almost strictly IPSC, but that sounds like one heck of a mindbender!

We shot a stage at the Dbl Tap championship where you started with your hands on a wooden full size uspsa target that had a 6" piece of starfoam

attached to it , at the buzzer you had to take you knife and stabb the

block of foam and then shoot the stage, there were penealties if

the knife fell out , ws a blast of a stage and I am glad that I carry

a emerson comander because bringing this knife into action is to say

Very Fast... and it gets the job done....

I carry and use one daily- have seen a knife start mounted in pumkin- upon start, draw knife with both hands, put aside, pick up rifle and engage targets.

Also, there was an IDPA COF I heard about that started with a "victim" in a car- seatbelt could NOT be undone by usual method- you were required to free and remove victim from vehicle within set time prior to engaging targets with pistol- from what I heard, only one person figured it out..."cut" the seatbelt (the SO stopped them from actually performing the cut and told them to proceed). I shoot almost strictly IPSC, but that sounds like one heck of a mindbender!

Now that is what I'm talking about. So stages can be designed for using a knife, great! I need to come up with something as ingenious. Supercomp9, I just picked up an Emerson Commander this morning...excellent folder!

At a non-USPSA 3-gun you had to cut a rope that blocked your path and released a target. There was a ushioned box to toss the knife into rather than re-sheath on the clock.

At our three gun a couple years back, you started kneeling in front of your "Capture" You took the knife from his belt and stabbed him, he fell back and cleared your way into the stage, you recovered his (your) gun and "Fought" your way to freedom at the far end of the stage.

For safety on this stage, we used an Ice-Pick, didn't want sliced fingers.

Jim Norman