Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ TS0 started chewing the buffer and lots of stoppages

Newbie_IE

Hi, I have a CZ TS in .40 cal. I have run only 20 or 30 rounds thru it and the pistol has started having a load of stoppages - failing to eject/stove pipes. I stripped it to clean and the buffer is chewed to pieces. The pistol is brand new with all factory parts. I am also running factory ammo. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar??

I was almost the same.  Used for a short while.  Could not see, feel, or measure any performance benefit to using them.  May still have some laying around where I was certain I'd find them when needed.  If I ever find them again, they will be trashed.  

When I bought mine I was told by CZC NOT to use the buffer.  No damage to anything after lots of 40 major rounds through it.

I must be living right, I’ve had to replace the buffers in my 9mm TSO over the years but they generally last well over 500 rounds, probably more as I don’t keep track. I do turn them over once the first side gets pretty rough.

we run them in all our CZs, the clear, thick buffers. In my TS2 and Shadow/2s they last over 10,000 rounds typically. In the Czechmate with 9mm Major they last around 5000 or so. They cost about $1.50 each. The engineers at CZ put them in for a reason. They save slides and frames. if you're chewing them up, it's you, not them. 

15 hours ago, slavex said:

we run them in all our CZs, the clear, thick buffers. In my TS2 and Shadow/2s they last over 10,000 rounds typically. In the Czechmate with 9mm Major they last around 5000 or so. They cost about $1.50 each. The engineers at CZ put them in for a reason. They save slides and frames. if you're chewing them up, it's you, not them. 

Can you please let us know what oil you're using?

Can you also indicate ammo (powder and primer if reloads) as well? 

What is the maintenance schedule for cleaning? Could you include solvent specifications? 

Is this indoor our outdoor round counts?

What is the firing schedule for testing? 

What recoil spring weights were used?

I realize these questions may come off as overly specific. Each question has to do with wear and expected lifetime of the buffer. If there was a way to extend the life of an already excellent pistol, I think it would be valuable to know.

I have not been able to replicate the 10,000 round life of the buffers noted. Actually, I can't keep a factory recoil spring strong enough to return the gun to battery for that many rounds but, springs are cheap and easily replaced and we're talking buffers here. 

As stated I use the buffers and get what I feel is an acceptable lifespan out of them, nowhere close to 10k though. Following up on the “it’s you not them” statement, what could a person do to make the gun chew them up? Too light of a recoil spring?

I run 9lb recoil 10lb hammer in my Shadow 2s. Not sure what the Czechmate has, TS2 is a 10lb recoil and 11lb main. 

I use ProShot gun lube, but any gun oil works. I lube the guns regularly, but seldom clean them. My match Shadow 2 often goes 5-6000 before cleaning and the practice guns 10k. But as stated, lubed regularly, slide, frame, barrel, buffer etc. 

cleaning I use Proshot as well, their gun scrubber in both aerosol and hand pump versions. Occasionally I'll toss into my Ultrasonic cleaner with Crest cleaning solution. I also have the dark buffers but don't use them currently as I have a big bag of the clear CZ ones that should last until I'm dead and then some. 

Ammo is almost all handloaded, for Production/Optics 135PF 147gr bullets and for Open 124 and 147 at major PF.  

I've examined guns at the factory that were tested with and without buffers over extended firing cycles, tens of thousands of rounds and seen the fractures that develop, in slides and in frames. 

Shooting is done indoor and outdoor all year long, Last year I only shot 70k in my Production guns and will probably be about the same this year. The gf did the same in her Open gun plus another 5 or 6k in her PO gun. 

Once I change springs from factory to my choice of springs I seldom ever change them again, I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I had to replace a recoil or main spring. I have had to replace the odd trigger return spring (factory), and factory light firing pin spring. 

On 5/4/2024 at 11:10 PM, slavex said:

Ammo is almost all handloaded, for Production/Optics 135PF 147gr bullets and for Open 124 and 147 at major PF.  

I've examined guns at the factory that were tested with and without buffers over extended firing cycles, tens of thousands of rounds and seen the fractures that develop, in slides and in frames. 

Shooting is done indoor and outdoor all year long.

how many rounds TSO and  SH1/2  slides hold with buffer and without until they  crack?

ours club use only factory 115g ammo.