Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standard Major

Marakby

What powder do u IPSC standard major shooters use for a 180gr bullets (40S&W), I used to use Titegroup but I’m not comfortable with a max load to reach barely the required PF. What other powder alternatives?

most guys running really fast powders in 40 major are running longer than spec ammo, which tend to work better in 1911 type platforms.
Truckloads of tight group have sent truckloads of 180's down range at 170 pf,,  Has probably been the most common loading for many years in the US.. Cant speak for 175 though..
If you arnt comfortable with tight group,, a simple look at a burn rate chart and what is available in your area should suffice.. PIck a powder with a slower burn rate which should get your velocity with lower pressure. 
Reloading manuals should be full of 180's at 980 fps loads.. Thats pretty much standard 40 stuff.

The threshold for major is 170, so I wanted to be just 5 above, to evade an old chrono or cold weather (Canada) that may kick me to minor at a L03 match. I’m now 172 with a truckload of Titegroup. So I rather ask my fellow expert fellas as part of my research.

Yeah, N320 was one of the gold standards.   Some people (BE included) played around with Clays but it was very twitchy and unless loaded long could easily blow cases.

19 hours ago, Marakby said:

What powder do u IPSC standard major shooters use for a 180gr bullets (40S&W), I used to use Titegroup but I’m not comfortable with a max load to reach barely the required PF. What other powder alternatives?

I guess everyone should have asked what powders do you have on hand?