Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot window size

How big is too big? I've been thinking about red dot window sizes and therotically how big is too big? 

Do you want to be able to see multiple targets in the window at the same time?  Or does a large window make it harder to see the dot quickly?  I would think the window will act like a bullseye style reticle and help you center the dot.  

At some point I would think the benefits of a larger window will diminish and not be worth the extra bulk.  Although, Rifle shooters' could probably tolerate more bulk than pistols. 

I know the old style cmore sights have a 29mm round window. Would you think there would be any benefit to a 40 or 50mm window? 

Edited by CoreyScheel

I recall KC Eusebio was using a large Trijicon scope at the Steel Challenge at Lake Piru in either 2013-2014. Found some video from Europe in 2014 using it.

Don't know the size of the window but the Holosun 507C's are nice. I have one on a 45 degree mount on one of my AR-15's. Going to get another one for a Ruger 22-45 I'm having Jeff thread and put a 1913 rail on it. 

If you are using a red dot correctly, you would be target focused with both eyes open. With that being said, the glass is just acting as the medium for which the emitter projects the dot. You are not actually looking through the glass and aiming. The glass size, just allows for the dot to be tracked under recoil and that makes the vertical height more important than the horizontal width.

To see if you are shooting with both eyes open, simply by one of those fancy new training covers or some painters tape and cover the size of the glass facing the target. You should still be able to aim and shoot with no issue.  You shouldn't notice the glass is covered as all as the lump on top of your neck sorts all that out.

There are times when we as shooters look through the glass in akward positions because of lack of practice in that weird position but that's it.

Glass quality definitely is still important though as you want a crisp, bright dot and free from reflections, prism effects, duplicate dots etc.

23 hours ago, FTP_Shooting_Sports said:

If you are using a red dot correctly, you would be target focused with both eyes open. With that being said, the glass is just acting as the medium for which the emitter projects the dot. You are not actually looking through the glass and aiming. The glass size, just allows for the dot to be tracked under recoil and that makes the vertical height more important than the horizontal width.

Thanks, I needed to read this again, because I must have forgotten it.

I am hoping that someday I can get to the point where I no longer catch myself "looking through the window" rather than just being target focused and being able to pick up the dot.  Definitely harder than is sounds...

1 hour ago, Cuz said:

Thanks, I needed to read this again, because I must have forgotten it.

I am hoping that someday I can get to the point where I no longer catch myself "looking through the window" rather than just being target focused and being able to pick up the dot.  Definitely harder than is sounds...

Get a cover for the front of the optic or just use tape and start dry firing and live firing. You will learn really quickly or you will not be able to see and hit anything! 

What FPP says is correct.  It takes practice.  You are actually training your subconscious to shoot where you look.  When I am in the zone, I  don't see the dot.  I see the target and I hit it.  Look, shoot;  look, shoot.  As long as I am shooting regularly, that's how it goes.  If I take a couple of weeks off, I have to retrain my subconscious.  Until I do, I'm aiming and slow.

FWIW, I prefer round windows.  All my 'serious' competition guns wear 5 MOA SROs.  The only exception is the PCC for SCSA.  It wears a 12 MOA dot.  In the rare instance I shoot the PCC in a USPSA 'style' match, I swap the diode for a 6 MOA.

Edited by zzt