Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Retreat stages

392heminut

On 3/8/2024 at 9:02 AM, Joe4d said:

There is a distance point of retreating where shooters will find it advantageous to put gun over shoulder and run up range, vs stay faciing and pointing down range and step backwards.. and IMO that distance is at a point where your good stage changes from a shooting challenge to  a bad DQ trap sprint track skills challenge.

thankfully i don’t shoot matches where you design the stages, because the point where backing up isn’t a LOT slower is about 2 steps for normal non-disabled people. 99% of local shooters here have no issues whatsoever with turning to run uprange. we remind the other guy when a retreat is necessary.

as an ro and stage designer for 12 years now, its been rare in my experience when a retreat causes any kind of problem. most people have an easy time understanding the concept of keeping the gun pointed downrange. i see far more problems with lateral movement and reloads, or with having a malfunction or unexpected reload when facing to the weak side.

I've seen a good bit of them, maybe once per match. They do help to change things up, I think.

The main thing I've learned since designing stages is that people will complain no matter what you do. Lol

1 hour ago, lroy said:

I've seen a good bit of them, maybe once per match. They do help to change things up, I think.

The main thing I've learned since designing stages is that people will complain no matter what you do. Lol

This is too much running!

This is too much stand and shoot!

This is too much hose fest!

This is too much tight shots!

🤣🤣🤣

While I do not have an issue in general with retreat stages, I have seen some designs which are very difficult to RO..

I have also seem some stages which it is too easy for competitors to get disoriented to the backstop.

Most of the older stages were designed to move from back to front. Retrograde became more common when we went to more freestyle stage designs. In general that is a good thing, but everything in moderation.

If I were to request anything, it is that stage designers make the competitor do something before they can retreat. That way the RO can start the competitor, retreat safely and in control and be able to monitor competitor action.

I do like the comment about making the competitor run long distances to shoot a target at point blank range.  

Maybe allowing a choice, run or aim is a good idea, eh?

13 minutes ago, JayWord said:

If I were to request anything, it is that stage designers make the competitor do something before they can retreat. That way the RO can start the competitor, retreat safely and in control and be able to monitor competitor action.

That is what I've been seeing at IPSC matches. Alternatively, a Long Course might let you start at the back but also make you go somewhere that you need to retreat from, so the RO can just stand back a little.

On 3/15/2024 at 1:58 PM, RJH said:

This is too much running!

This is too much stand and shoot!

This is too much hose fest!

This is too much tight shots!

🤣🤣🤣

its only too much if its all of one..
A hose fest stage,, a tight shot stage, a stand and deliver stage, maybe with some week hand, or holding an object stage,  makes for a good over all match...
A great match is when the individual stages offer choices,, and makes stage planning fun when folks all do it different...
IE the slow runner but accurate shooter has a spot to take 25 yard shots,, the fast runner, may run up and take the close shot.