Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any hope for Ironsight divisions?

RJH

Thats due to people not liking change. In recent years, we change the nationals format yearly. Each year we get less and less consistent participation. People are creatures of habit, and they will keep coming back to an event that provides consistency. For the last decade or so the national matches quality has gone down. There is no wonder that people get turned off by this and stop going. They then tell their buddies/future penitential shooters/RO's, who are then turned off on the idea of attending. 

I'm seeing the same thing happen with Level 2 and 3 matches now. People no longer see the value in going to these matches outside the core dedicated 5% of USPSA shooters that attend those higher-level matches.

I'm one of those people. I used to go to 6-8 majors a year. Now I maybe will attend 1. Maybe... 

Build high quality matches... be consistent year after year... listen to shooter feedback. This is the easiest way to growth and success within USPSA Majors. Even something as small as changing the location of the match to a new venue will kill it.

Look at Ryan Rocks in MI. They have moved the time and location a few times in recent years and now can no longer sell out for a charity match that used to have a waitlist.

The old BITBG single stack match is another example. Small change in format to allow other divisions killed SS entirely. That match has now morphed into the KY state match instead. Essentially killing a major that used to sell out consistently. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, RJH said:

I guess I should have clarified that minor would still need to be .355. Damn gamers LOL 😂😂

id go .308,,, seems there are a couple 10 shot 32's floating around ICORE open

11 hours ago, RJH said:

I guess I should have clarified that minor would still need to be .355. Damn gamers LOL 😂😂

That too, but my comment was about revolver having capacity limits of 8/6 for minor/major, not 10/8 which is for single stack. Now back to the regular bickering about divisions... lol. 

Edited by IVC

• 4 weeks later...

seems like for competition shooting they are dead. like many have said younger shooter prefer optics and the older guys are losing their sight.  I'm optics cutting and/or replacing all my irons only guns. irons are still great though

• 5 weeks later...

USPSA clings to low cap, irons and .40 SW because they don't want to upset the whales with the money in their older guns. 

If the sports wants to grow it will have to reflect what people are buying, and shooting both in a civilian world and in the military. 

It's amazing the sport has not lost more numbers in the 15 years they have been fighting the death of .40 SW, 10 round mags and now iron sights. 

But look whos steering the ship, no surprises. 

Edited by Foxtrotx1

20 minutes ago, Foxtrotx1 said:

USPSA clings to low cap, irons and .40 SW because they don't want to upset the whales with the money in their older guns. 

If the sports wants to grow it will have to reflect what people are buying, and shooting both in a civilian world and in the military. 

It's amazing the sport has not lost more numbers in the 15 years they have been fighting the death of .40 SW, 10 round mags and now iron sights. 

But look whos steering the ship, no surprises. 

But, they did raise production to 15 rounds and nothing has really happened from that as far as activity. I'm in area 4 and was just looking at last year's area 4 championship. 16 people shot production last year when it was 10 rounds and only nine have signed up so far this year with it being 15 rounds. 

So while 15 is not necessarily high cap, it's not really low cap anymore either. And production is minor only so that's two of the three things that have changed that you said USPSA is clinging to, with no appreciable uptick in numbers. 

The last one being iron sights, really cannot change in an iron sight division. I think people just are done with iron sights, and I don't know that there's any way to really get those numbers up. 

I'll still shoot some limited and single stack from time to time to help out where I can LOL. But, I'm pretty much willing to concede that Ironsight divisions are dead overall,  and they're not coming back