Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ACE XR VR Dry Fire Training Legit or Just a Game

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been using it since launch. My performance has improved a good deal.  I’ll know more Sunday how it transfers over as I’m shooting my first live match in months. 

I geeked out pretty hard on the thing when I got it after Nathanb recommended it. It's a lot of fun but I am having an issue with the 320-style grip module screwing up my actual live-fire index a bit. It's a subtle but very real difference. I'm on the fence whether or not I'm going to stick with it until they either add a way to change point of impact or add a 2011 or CZ grip module.

I received the gun controller at the end of last week and have been trying the thing out. So far it appears to be very realistic. The environment is very good, the physics appear to be correct and I love the fact that it has been designed around USPSA and steel challenge. I can see that if the plan is to use it as a training tool the user will need to be disciplined in using it as a training tool and not get sucked into playing it as a game chasing high scores.

I will need more time with the 320 as the controller to see if it will affect my index in real life or not.

I see this as very good to bridge the gap between dry fire and live fire. You get scoring feedback and the system is very sensitive to using a poor grip. A poor grip will result in poor hits at speed.

It is amazing to train on movement stages. You can very easily experiment with different approaches to run the stage and evaluate the results using time and hit factor to show what way might be best.

It also has most of the USPSA moving targets that makes it easy to get lots of practice on swingers and such.

I tried it for a few weeks.  The zero recoil, wrong grip and non adjustable dot brightness quickly turned it into a game for me.  I'm not saying there isn't some value to it, but I think it's more productive to use your real gun/gear and dry fire.  It motivated me to get the dryfire King ap on youtube which I think it pretty awesome.

On the bright side, my 10 year old loves the goggles, so it wasn't a total waste of money.

• 1 month later...

I got one of these about a month ago now and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I've 3D printed a 2011 grip, added lead to it to get it up to about 43 oz, which is about the same as my unloaded gun weight. Added the same grip tape I'm using on my real gun, and printed a new trigger and sear. It's still not a perfect representation of my 2011 but it's getting the job done I think. It also fits my holster so I can work on draws too.

I believe it is helping and will continue to train with it pretty heavily. 

1 hour ago, Eyesquared said:

Anyone here using this and need glasses? Curious how that works out with the headset. Never had VR so not sure how real it feels visually.

It comes with a spacer if you need to wear glasses.  

Just now, RangerTrace said:

It comes with a spacer if you need to wear glasses.  

Got it - does it feel different turning your head with the weight of the headset or is it pretty light?

3 minutes ago, Eyesquared said:

Got it - does it feel different turning your head with the weight of the headset or is it pretty light?

It's pretty light, but you certainly know you have something on your face.  I don't get a crisp view, probably because of my eyesight.  I've not messed with mine in many weeks.  It's the kid's game now.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2024 at 8:28 PM, Eyesquared said:

Anyone here using this and need glasses? Curious how that works out with the headset. Never had VR so not sure how real it feels visually.

My kid was able to get inserts for the headset that match his prescription - they were maybe $150 

On 4/16/2024 at 9:31 PM, RangerTrace said:

It's pretty light, but you certainly know you have something on your face.  I don't get a crisp view, probably because of my eyesight.  I've not messed with mine in many weeks.  It's the kid's game now.

I wear glasses and don't need the insert, actually made it worse than without. I'm still waiting to figure out how to get the handset (3D printed Shadow 2) to index the same as my "real" gun. If I test back to back, the dot rides about 1/4" as I perceive it out of the bottom of the window in the simulator. I end up slightly cocking my wrist to play the game and if I overdo it that totally screws my "real" draw. I went a little nuts with the thing when I first purchased it and had a big surprise at my first match after a month or so of fairly heavy use. I haven't messed with it in a couple of weeks now, but I do have an idea how to mod the grip to allow me to fine tune the dot. I'll see how it goes ...

• 2 weeks later...

Ace VR is a tool, and a very good one. It should be one of many training tools used.

Just like a boxer does not learn all of his boxing craft using just a heavy bag. It is one of many tools

On 5/5/2024 at 8:56 PM, RobW said:

I wear glasses and don't need the insert, actually made it worse than without. I'm still waiting to figure out how to get the handset (3D printed Shadow 2) to index the same as my "real" gun. If I test back to back, the dot rides about 1/4" as I perceive it out of the bottom of the window in the simulator. I end up slightly cocking my wrist to play the game and if I overdo it that totally screws my "real" draw. I went a little nuts with the thing when I first purchased it and had a big surprise at my first match after a month or so of fairly heavy use. I haven't messed with it in a couple of weeks now, but I do have an idea how to mod the grip to allow me to fine tune the dot. I'll see how it goes ...

I have a 3D printed Shadow 2 I'm not using. I'm running a 2011 handset. 

On 4/16/2024 at 9:31 PM, RangerTrace said:

Did you try adjusting the lens for your pupil distance?

On 4/16/2024 at 9:29 PM, Eyesquared said:

I'm running it with a extended battery, this adds more weight but it adds it to the back and seems more balanced. I don't notice the headset much at all like that. 

On 5/14/2024 at 7:11 AM, Racinready300ex said:

I have a 3D printed Shadow 2 I'm not using. I'm running a 2011 handset. 

I'll take that shadow 2 setup off your hands if you aren't using it! 

• 2 weeks later...

I think some of the 3D printable options are better then the one they just released. A buddy of mine scanned his LO gun then drew it all up in cad and redesigned the trigger parts and put all the files up for free for anyone to download and print. You'll still need the "FCU" to go into the gun and make it complete. 

But, you need a printer or you'll have to find someone you can pay to print it for you.