Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire vs Centerfire

blue72

If you are new to Steel Challenge, rimfire.  It's cheaper while you are learning the skills that can then transition to centerfire.  And needs less equipment (no holster).

I dunno.  I started with what I had guns for, RFPO and OPN.  I had been shooting USPSA, so I had the belt/holster/pouches/etc.  I have lots of handguns, but they all fit into the same Divisions.  Five for OPN and three for RFPO.  Years later I later bought a rimfire rifle and a PCC so I could compete in more Divisions. 

If you are a noob, bring what you have.  I let a noob shoot his CZ75 TS from low ready (not for score) to try it out.  He loved it.  A couple of matches later he had the rig. 

In my opinion the the draw to SC is that you can shoot basically anything you already have. Many of the other disciplines require X gun, X holster, X mag pouches, X clothing, and X ammo, SC shoot what you have. This makes the bar low for entry and as Z said above if someone new likes it after trying it a few times they will invest in the gear.  Okay that being said I prefer centerfire handguns, but then again I'm the odd one out shooting a wheel gun. However that being said I have shoot all the rimfire divisions and PCC's as well. I will say this if rimfire was taken out of SC I believe the impacts would be very negative to this sport. Yes it does suck that at many matches only a few people shoot centerfire, but then again Im really running against myself in any division. Yet it is nice to see that time and day how you stack up against someone else.   

16 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

I will say this if rimfire was taken out of SC I believe the impacts would be very negative to this sport.

Yes.  If you also eliminate PCC and you'll have tiny matches.  Last match:  17 centerfire pistols (all Divisions included), 12 Rimfire pistols, 24 Rimfire rifles, 13 PCC.  Same approximate percentages for the last three matches.

Basically, long guns rule.  At the last match (6 stage), the winner was a G RFRO shooter (50.58 sec).  Second was a G RFPO shooter ((51.17 sec).  That same G had the lowest score of any centerfire pistol shooter with a OSR 75.50 sec. run.   The huge difference between low ready and draw times is the reason there are fewer and fewer pistol shooters.

Many of the Rimfire rifle shooters do not own a PCC.  That's why there are more of them.  Several of the guys I shoot with are faster with PCCO than RFRO.

I love shooting the .22s for SC.  So much easier without having to buy a holster for each of my guns.  

Now I'm shooting RFRO as well.  

It's much cheaper than reloading anything.  

7 hours ago, echotango said:

Shooting a lot less uspsa and now getting back into SC.  Even bought my wife another gun to shoot RFPO.  Rimfire is just easier.  No loading, picking up brass, holster/rig and just fun. 

2 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I love shooting the .22s for SC.  So much easier without having to buy a holster for each of my guns.  

Now I'm shooting RFRO as well.  

It's much cheaper than reloading anything.  

On 2/6/2024 at 2:56 PM, Squirrel45 said:

In my opinion the the draw to SC is that you can shoot basically anything you already have. Many of the other disciplines require X gun, X holster, X mag pouches, X clothing, and X ammo, SC shoot what you have. This makes the bar low for entry and as Z said above if someone new likes it after trying it a few times they will invest in the gear.  Okay that being said I prefer centerfire handguns, but then again I'm the odd one out shooting a wheel gun. However that being said I have shoot all the rimfire divisions and PCC's as well. I will say this if rimfire was taken out of SC I believe the impacts would be very negative to this sport. Yes it does suck that at many matches only a few people shoot centerfire, but then again Im really running against myself in any division. Yet it is nice to see that time and day how you stack up against someone else.   

On 2/6/2024 at 4:57 PM, DesertTortoise said:

I have more fun shooting rimfire. It's also the only venue to compete with my .22s. 

I’ll add that it’s a perfect platform to introduce new shooters with also. With the low recoil and noise levels people that are sensitive to that can play the game too. New shooters, male & female, younger shooters all can enter and enjoy the fun with little expense. This is what draws new shooters in and keeps the games/clubs going. 

• 2 months later...

I shoot RFPO and RFRO because I shoot my centerfire handguns in USPSA matches.  SC gives me a place to play with my rimfire guns, plus rimfires are the fastest guns in the game because you don't need to draw from a holster.  I like speed.  Finally, no having to reload ammunition for the matches or chase brass at the matches.  That is a refreshing break from shooting USPSA.