Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SCSA Classification Dilemma

Hoops

My classifications peaked (no pun) in 2021…M class PCCO, RFRO and A in RFPO.  Due to age now plus significant physical changes during 2022 and 2023 I am shooting A class.  I will only be shooting Level 1 matches.  I’m a Distinguished Super Senior category.

The dilemma for me is do I just shoot my local L1 matches against those in my divisions regardless of class and have fun or do I request a classification downgrade?  

At what point does a classification really matter even though I worked hard to earn the M class in my late 60’s?  

I'm curious about what others say about this. I "retired" from USPSA back in 2019 due to medical issues and took up Steel Challenge to fill my "need for speed".

Not really concerned about classifications and I'm sticking to local Level 1 matches.  I do want to excel and willing to take the time and effort to improve, but that's the limit.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Submit a reclassification downgrade request. If you can't shoot your current class why remain in it? I did it for several of mine. I'd rather me a mid-pack C/B/A competitor than last M/GM regardless of match level. It's easy to do and you can request reclassification for multiple divisions. As a side benefit it gives me more accurate classification data to present to the BoD.

I'm with Zack.  I'm Distinguished Senior also.  Fortunately, even though the peak time adjustment took away a bunch of faster 2021 times, I still maintain Class.  If I could not, I'd ask for a reclassification.  If I were a GM/M it would be embarrassing to see my name under a bunch of A and B shooters in Overall.

Several shooters I shoot with have this philosophy.  If peak adjustment knocks them down a Class, they maintain it as long as they improve enough during the season to be legit.

Edited by zzt

@zzt @ZackJones  Back in 2021 and early 2022 on this forum; I was an advocate for recalculating all shooters classifications based on each time a year was dropped off.  But that did not gain traction from HQ or even from replies from Enos.  

Since I’m not at my physical best it is unlikely I will shoot any matches higher than L1 or other than my local 3 matches.  

My current plan is to request a downgrade on principle alone but I’ll be curious what others that read this post have to say on the subject.

Thanks for posting 

I just shoot for fun. Get to shoot and squad up with famous shooters. I'm not a good shooter. I only have class D's and C. Not even classified in all the divisions. I kinda like showing off my equipment 😆.  But it's all for fun. Next goal would be to go into World Shoot in IPSC.

I agree that as we've become older and less physically active out times will definitely change and scores will not approach what we would have been capable of years ago.  Asking for reclassification is one answer and I agree with it.

There's always the mystique of being a Master Class or Higher and it's notoriety but not winning can get you down.  I remember my higher classifications but realize I'll never be competitive against the younger, newer and more dedicated shooters.

I'd rather stay in C now and have fun then have to shoot my old classifications although I still try, I recognize my limitations.  

Where do you get a reclassification request? I am in a similar position. I believe an inaccurate time was recorded that bumped me to GM. I am in distinguished senior class and only shoot L1 matches. When I checked my classifiers used to calculate my scores I noticed that my times on Accelerator were far below my average times. On a good day I might be in the 2.30’s, but times scored were in the low 2’s and one was a 1.99. The date in question was over a year ago and I never noticed the error until I finally made GM. I believe only 4 hits were recognized by the timer.

40 minutes ago, rooster said:

Where do you get a reclassification request? I am in a similar position. I believe an inaccurate time was recorded that bumped me to GM. I am in distinguished senior class and only shoot L1 matches. When I checked my classifiers used to calculate my scores I noticed that my times on Accelerator were far below my average times. On a good day I might be in the 2.30’s, but times scored were in the low 2’s and one was a 1.99. The date in question was over a year ago and I never noticed the error until I finally made GM. I believe only 4 hits were recognized by the timer.

@ZackJones is the Director of Steel Challenge.  I believe he the contact for requests.  I’ll look at the website to see if there is email and will send to you.  

6 minutes ago, rooster said:

Thanks, I just sent SCSA an email. It didn’t go to Zack just the general email address.

That should work.

I just requested a downgrade from M to A in PCCO.  RFRO is currently 85.78% so no change request for now.  Hopefully I can improve scores this year.

I believe many shooters are not aware of the rolling 3 year recalculation because the classification doesn’t change.  Friends that I discussed this at our last Saturday match were not aware that a downgrade option was now optional.  They weren’t aware of 2021 being dropped until I told them.

Just a general tip - instead of using any of the generic "support" or "classification" or "office" USPSA email addresses email me directly zack@uspsa.org. I've seen it take 2 weeks before an email to on of those mail boxes gets forwarded. Granted this was over the holidays but emailing me direct is the best option. 

My wife's reclassification request (from M to A) was denied even though we pointed to an obvious score entry error.  Not a big deal but very strange result.