Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for 40S&W

Marakby

I wonder why all posts in regards to OAL for 40s&w 180gr bullets are talking about 1.18-1.20 AOL while all recent manuals noted max OAL 1.13-1.135 (Campro, Hornady, Lyman, Vihtavouri). Even Federal factory ammo is 1.118

has anything changed I’m not aware of as a beginner? (Manuals stated this OAL regardless of bullet shape tc or rn)

The people loading long are generally loading for 2011s. 2011's are built around 45 Auto which has a 1.25 or so standard oal. Lengthening the 40 for those guns tended to increase reliability. If you are shooting 40 out of a Glock or something I wouldn't worry with loading long as those guns were designed around lengths closer to standard 40 caliber

Traditional .40 S&W guns put the rounds in a magazine that was designed for 9mm cartridges (such as the Glock and the S&W 5900-series), hence the short 1.120 lengths.  Para and STI guns used a mag that was originally designed for .45 ACP and .38 Super, so longer lengths could be used to promote better feeding.

Just matching your gun and magazines for reliability in feeding.

My default 1.200" for SVI won't even fit into the standard .40 magazines (Tanfoglio, CZ, Sig, etc.), even if some of them can chamber it without a problem. But 1.200" was recommended by the manufacturer and I never had an issue feeding. 

Also, longer OAL is more forgiving of small

inconsistencies in powder load and bullet seating. 

Over the years I shot quite a bit of factory 40 in my STI and kept my reloads at 1.135" or such. No problems.

I consider it more of a gun problem than an ammo problem if it will not feed factory ammunition.

All my 2011s and 1911s run factory length/SAAMI spec .40, but I load to 1.145”.  My first 2011 wouldn’t seat really long loaded 40 as recommended at the time/era that I bought my first 2011, so I shortened from 1.185 to 1.145 and haven’t changed it in 13 years because it works.

• 4 months later...
On 1/25/2024 at 6:39 AM, Marakby said:

I wonder why all posts in regards to OAL for 40s&w 180gr bullets are talking about 1.18-1.20 AOL while all recent manuals noted max OAL 1.13-1.135 (Campro, Hornady, Lyman, Vihtavouri). Even Federal factory ammo is 1.118

has anything changed I’m not aware of as a beginner? (Manuals stated this OAL regardless of bullet shape tc or rn)

I load .40 Minor for my GLOCKs and I’m at 1.130 COAL.

• 3 weeks later...

For years I loaded my 40 ammo long for my 2011 because everybody said they would feed better in that platform. I got a PCC in 40 S&W and my reloads wouldn't fit the magazines so I started loading all my 40 to fit the Glock mags. My 2011 still runs the same, no problems with the shorter rounds at all.

Ditto…….shot Limited Major for years with a pair of STI’s and always loaded with N320 to 1.180”, but recently also picked up a PCC in 40 sw (just for fun) and the Glock mags won’t take the longer rounds, I think I’m going with 1.145”. What length are you at for the PCC in 40?

On 7/10/2024 at 11:54 AM, rifleman777 said:

Ditto…….shot Limited Major for years with a pair of STI’s and always loaded with N320 to 1.180”, but recently also picked up a PCC in 40 sw (just for fun) and the Glock mags won’t take the longer rounds, I think I’m going with 1.145”. What length are you at for the PCC in 40?

I'm loading at 1.14".

• 2 weeks later...