Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting a Red Dot

Drillbit

I just bought an Allchin mount for my 4" 686 and a Burris Fast Fire III.   I haven't got a chance to sight it in just yet, but looking at it, it appears to sit high on the gun.  Is this a draw back in any way or an asset?   I can't help but think I would be better off if was sitting lower.  

Anyone have one of these mounts? 

Use Blue Loctite on the screws to make sure it doesn't come loose on you.  I just tried purple and my sight base began to move after only 10 shots.  

I use a Wheeler Torque wrench with it set for 15 inch/pounds.

I've used the alchin for my 627, R8 and 617 for Steel Challenge.  They work.

I taped (occluded) the optics and simply focused on a spot on the target:  BAM  dot every time.  I found keeping my chin up helped dot placement in the window, but not dot acquisition.

Dry fire is your friend.

Jason

Edited by Makicjf

I was thinking more about the mount being hi on the gun and sighting in, would there be enough down adjustment.  But, from the responses here it sounds like I should be ok.  

19 minutes ago, Drillbit said:

I was thinking more about the mount being hi on the gun and sighting in, would there be enough down adjustment.  But, from the responses here it sounds like I should be ok.  

DB:

Just make sure the mount and sight are secured.  Sometimes the threads on the screws for the sight are tight and this can cause guys to think the sight is secure when it is canted.  A visual to ensure the sight is in fact secure to the mount is a good idea.

The dot sights have a lot of elevation and windage on them and if a guy runs out of one or the other, normally it is because either the sight or the mount are not secure.

GG

I find that my 627 with Alchin mount works really well.  I have to be aware that depending on where I sight it in, it might shoot a bit higher or lower at far or near targets. How's that for a word salad?

1 hour ago, Drillbit said:

You should have plenty of adjustment. Talking high, take a c more railway on a pic rail now that's high 😆. You'll be fine. In the future EGW mounts pretty low but the Alchin is just fine. 

On 1/11/2024 at 6:12 AM, DS-10-SPEED said:

The Raptor mount is a tiny bit lower (I think about 0.020" lower) but they seem to be out of business.

Agreed wish I had bought several before they quit.

If the height is too high some that will set lower have the battery under the sight base.  Jpoint has a plastic lens but fits the dpp foot print.  I like the vortex viper.