Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Competition Glock Trigger?

kerneldrop

I started with a Robert Vogel trigger, quickly changed to a Zev trigger and used that for quite a while. Earlier this year I discovered the Timney Glock trigger (a whole different trigger design if you are not familiar with it) and think this is the best. 

Customer service is great. After a while I had an issue with a change in the trigger pull feel and they replaced the whole thing.

The only issue with chasing the S2 is that you will eventually have to really start dropping striker spring weights.

I managed to pull off a pretty impressive trigger weigh on my 34.3 but then I started catching the occasional light strike.

i immediately moved back to a full power striker spring because the loss of reliability immediately killed any gains I was getting from my “slightly” better trigger 

Got the Glock performance trigger, have not done any live fire yet, but after a bit of dry fire I'm not impressed. Think just a TTI grandmaster kit and some polishing is what works for me. 

I don't shoot a Glock in competition, so I have to defer to those who do. However, I purchased the GPT for my 19 Gen 5 and frankly, my polished bar with a Ghost connector was far better than the GPT. I have a Timney with the JG shoe and spring in a G17 G3 and it is very nice. For competition I have no idea about reliability.  As far as comparing to Shadow 2, well it's a Glock. As always, good shooters will perform well with it.

I’m going to put a 3.5# ghost connector in the GPT with the Johnny Glock vex shoe and see if I can get it dialed in. 
I tried it yesterday and was getting 2.5# on my Lyman digital but the first pull wasn’t consistent feeling. Follow up pulls felt the same but the first was odd. 
I try adjusting the vex shoe and see if that makes a difference. 

the GPT with a minus connector is 3.2# consistently and the reset and take up is very short once the vex shoe is dialed in. 

4 hours ago, kerneldrop said:

In the hands of a skilled pistol shooter....is there a difference between a 2.5# and 3.5# triggers?

Where does a harder trigger press usually send the shot placement?

Yes. The difference between 2.5 and 3.5 is quite significant. Even the difference between 2.5 and 2.0 I can feel without a gauge. But to be honest there's not a ton of difference on the clock when you get to 2.5 and below.

To your second question, generally, heavier break -> you pull harder -> muzzle dips -> hits go low.

On 1/1/2024 at 10:58 AM, MoNsTeR said:

Still running the two Vanek triggers I bought like 15 years ago, consistent 2.25 pounds

will this pop harder primers like CCIs and Winchester?

2 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Anyone experienced with the Taren Tactical trigger kit? 

The GM kit?

yes, I use it. For the cost it’s a simple solution. I’d you are chasing the best Johnny Glock/Timney/GPT is a better bet

6 hours ago, bulm540 said:

will this pop harder primers like CCIs and Winchester?

They work absolutely 100.0% with Winchester, to the best of my recollection. I haven't used CCI in 20 years so I can't say.

Mostly I've used them with Wolf/Tula/Murom. With the consistent primer seating on a 1050, they work about 99.9%. I have definitely had more than zero light strikes, but it's few enough that I don't sweat it.

57 minutes ago, MoNsTeR said:

They work absolutely 100.0% with Winchester, to the best of my recollection. I haven't used CCI in 20 years so I can't say.

Mostly I've used them with Wolf/Tula/Murom. With the consistent primer seating on a 1050, they work about 99.9%. I have definitely had more than zero light strikes, but it's few enough that I don't sweat it.

Thanks for the info. 

14 hours ago, Seoderus said:

The GM kit?

yes, I use it. For the cost it’s a simple solution. I’d you are chasing the best Johnny Glock/Timney/GPT is a better bet

Yep. Thank you. 

• 2 months later...

Well, I built a 34.5 for this year.    my Timney was perfect for two practice sessions and then took a dive on the second stage of match #1.   By stage 3 it was not resetting after every shot.   I am going to pull it apart and check the install.   Getting more interested in the Johnny glock version of the oem performance trigger.  

Just installed the Johnny return spring in my Timney after a friend’s was starting to fail to reset. Figured it’s only a matter of time before mine did the same. This has always been the problem with the Timneys. $11 delivered makes things much better. 
Installation can get a bit tight with the slide release spring competing for space, but it all fits. 

Edited by MakBaba
Additional information